Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Basically to get away from the gorge winds, you need to be in Minnehaha, Hazel Dell, Salmon Creek, Ridgefield, definately north of 500 (if east of 205), and north of mill plain if west of 205. Wind is quite calm by the time it gets to I-5.

Cascade Park, Camas are minor wind but definately colder (similar to Troutdale) Washougal can be minor, but east of Washougal, major... (much worse than OR, due to the uplift from 'the Cape'~ 1500' cliff. There are 4 distinct climate zones between Washougal and my home 6 miles east and 1000' higher. Sometimes the winds get intense to the north, and hit Washougal River valley tough. and come over the hills into Brush Prairie (this depends on how much cold air has to escape eastern OR, and how bad the warm front wants in...) thus spring is most intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
Re: Washougal wind 12/29/06
I'm not in the area, but NWS Troutdale ...
ok, for Mt Noway, narrow the gorge by 1 mile, add 1200ft elevation and recalculate the available area for the wind to 'squeeze in'... thus when you see the usual weather reporters fighting the wind in Troutdale, they would not be standing on Mt Norway... for long...and probably have freezing rain coating their gear

We live on the WA ridge closer to the gorge, ("Windy Ridge"), directly above 'Cape Horn' our Neighbor reported for the news/weather for 20 yrs and had an 'offical' NOAA weather station setup. We have had a tad... inclimate weather this fall... as in we would look at the TV weather last 2 weeks, and wonder where we actually lived. (colder and windier than anything reported) We have not got above freezing till today, and have had a continuos 20-35 mph w/ gusts to 50 for several weeks. Sometimes in the spring, my renters have not left the house for over a week (they work from home) The wind has been constant, but not extreme lately. One thing to expect, replacing lots of windows due to seals breaking. My co-worker on Mt Norway replaced all of his windows twice in 7 yrs, he moved to Battleground...I'm born and bred Wyoming material, so the wind is good... blows away the riff-raff that drive BMW's, Lexus and Caddy SUV's When (not if...) you replace windows, be sure to get hurricane / coast grade glass and seals

Fortunatley we built for the region, and have 2 complete airlocks on windward side, as well as full exterior grade shear walls and doors even on our interior for the first 2 rooms. I will never build another stick frame home in this climate, mainly due to damage from freezing rain coating the whole house, sometimes over an inch thick. Most interesting is when barb wire fences get to be 3" thick horizontally due to freezing rain (my tax assessor doesn't show up on those days...he's why I'm forced to sell come April, do consider your future taxes, mine have gone from $800/ yr to $8000/yr, and next yr may be $11,000)

It is fun to watch the clouds from my home, as the ones below us are cruising west, and above are heading east. Sometimes westbound is too fast to get around Crown Point, (Vista House) and thus have to go over. It is a meterologists haven...often the refraction from cold wind and moisture make the horizon flow in waves, similar to heat waves on desert highway. Today we have 4" icicles (frost) sticking out of lawn @ 30deg angle

It's best if you can handle the wind, (and the schools...and taxes for such) if you plan to come to Washougal. The people are A LOT tamer, as the taxes / traffic has chased many away. (another co-worker was never impressed with stray bullets wissing by, he moved to Corvallis, OR) I'd be more concerned about your Fire District if it is ECFR, formerly known as District #1...pretty scary, also crossing the RR tracks at 32nd... that was real smart planning to allow thousands of new residents, but not give them a way to cross a major rail line. The one 2 lane bridge gets real backed up, and it is the only one the fire / police dept has... (thank goodness for living 6 miles east..., much easier / quicker commute... a tail wind too!)

Do arrange to visit this house on a windy evening, as night / early AM is often much worse. It is good to replicate sleeping needs, as some houses can be pretty noisy in the wind (roof / bath / stove vents (percussion section)) + (weatherstripping / gutters / chimney (flute section)) + outdoor utensils and nieghbor's furniture / trash cans add random crashes in the night) Watch the window glass throbbing in the reflected light, as that will give you an idea why you WILL be replacing glass. If the toilets are surging over 1/2 inch, (due to vents / pressure changes) you are getting a pretty good blow, but that is pretty 'normal'. Oh... and you don't want trees too close to the house, especially if the excavator tuned up the roots by digging and / or burying deeper (they WILL die / smother in a few yrs) It's scenic and lots of fresh air in Washougal!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-31-2006 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
There are 4 distinct climate zones between Washougal and my home 6 miles east and 1000' higher. Sometimes the winds get intense to the north, and hit Washougal River valley tough.

It's best if you can handle the wind, (and the schools...and taxes for such) if you plan to come to Washougal. The people are A LOT tamer, as the taxes / traffic has chased many away.
While this information is pretty accurate, it's also a good idea to remember that janb mentions there are several climate changes between their home and Washougal itself.

My mom lives on the far east side of Washougal and occasionally experiences some of these issues, but only rarely. It's not a daily thing unless you live up in the higher elevations. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but not with the alarming regularity that janb's post makes it seem.

I can remember having at least an inch of ice on the east side of my car on more than one occasion when visiting my mom's home during the wintertime, but nothing on the west side of it. And if you drove a block away, there was no ice at all. Washougal is kind of a funky area with odd little weather pockets here and there.

But I definitely second janb's advice to check out the home and it's surrounding area during inclement weather, if possible.

And lastly, their opinions about the people in Washougal are dead on. I've lived in many cities, both large and small. The people in Washougal are some of the absolute nicest and most down to earth I've ever known.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
While this information is pretty accurate, it's also a good idea to remember that janb mentions there are several climate changes between their home and Washougal itself.

My mom lives on the far east side of Washougal and occasionally experiences some of these issues, but only rarely. It's not a daily thing unless you live up in the higher elevations. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but not with the alarming regularity that janb's post makes it seem. ...
for perspective, typically... at higher elevations around Washougal (1/2 of this at Washougal central)

4 freezing rain spells, usually 1-3 days in length
6 unrelated to ice snow days, varies 2" > 2'. I keep a loader / bulldozer around, as drifting can be an issue - my neighbor's driveway is lined with trees, so it drifts pretty full ~ 8' dp, but... their grass is clear a home next to the Mt Pleasant school, was clear on the windward side, yet the roof line continued an extra 20' and snow was all piled up behind. to height of house. There is a section on Belle Center Rd they call 'the cut'. I have pics of them blowing it clear ~ 20' deep, (took 2 days) but again surrounding area was pretty clear.

Wind, usually blows 5 days per weather change, ~ 30-50% of winter
unbearable wind typically 2 weeks in fall and 2 weeks in spring.

this yr...much different, already 4+ weeks of below freezing and high winds (global warming... ) Last night was 22F and 25 mph, yet 10 miles away (and 1000ft lower) at Troutdale ~38F with 'breeze'. Wind stopped at 10 AM, rain (sleet came at 10:01).

longest I lost power was 9 days, but recently (last few yrs) only 1 or 2 days at a time, they've been upgrading the lines, and have two crews yearround pruning

I would not call the folks friendly, but it is all in perspective. If you come from CA or a metropolis, yes. If you come from Mayberry or a great plains farm town, not really. As in most of the PNW, it was settled by independent folks, and they like to keep that tradition. Most of my neighbors have unlisted phone numbers for that reason. I gage friendliness by the distance cars will give you when you are biking, walking or weed eating in the ditch bank. Over 10 yrs data...Washougal has equaled less than 20% giving you any space, even in the absence of oncoming traffic. They will stop and help in event of accidents, and are not rude. But don't expect them to bring you dinner when you get back from the hospital. (unless they are close friends, of course). Granted it is changing fast, as it is growing over 20% / yr

Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
Quote:

I would not call the folks friendly, but it is all in perspective. If you come from CA or a metropolis, yes. If you come from Mayberry or a great plains farm town, not really. As in most of the PNW, it was settled by independent folks, and they like to keep that tradition. Most of my neighbors have unlisted phone numbers for that reason. I gage friendliness by the distance cars will give you when you are biking, walking or weed eating in the ditch bank. Over 10 yrs data...Washougal has equaled less than 20% giving you any space, even in the absence of oncoming traffic. They will stop and help in event of accidents, and are not rude. But don't expect them to bring you dinner when you get back from the hospital. (unless they are close friends, of course). Granted it is changing fast, as it is growing over 20% / yr
Okay, I'll give you that. You might be right. Since I know quite a few people there, it always seems like people will stop and see if you need anything. I remember going on walks with my mom, (since she didn't jog and wanted me to keep her company on her walk), and several people stopped us to see if we needed a ride somewhere. Probably 4 or 5 people stopped on our short 2 mile long walk.

I usually gauge people's friendliness by how they behave in personal interactions, not just by how far away from me they get if I'm walking or riding my bike. Not that one is necessarily a better yardstick than the other, but just measures a different aspect of behavior. I've watched people kind of "space-out" when they're driving and go into an almost auto-pilot mode and barely even notice how they ended up at their destination. (Which is a pretty scary, if you ask me. ) So I can imagine them not paying close enough attention to someone futzing around in a ditch or riding their bike. That doesn't necessarily make them unfriendly, in my book....just a bit of a crappy driver.

And for the unlisted phone numbers, I think a lot of people do that now. I know several of my family members who live in the gorge do this because they're teachers, doctors, nurses, police officers, etc and people will call them at home during their off time instead of either waiting until the next day when they'll be at work or going through a different person.

But I see your point that it's all based on your perspective and what you consider "friendly".

Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 AM

63 posts, read 365,233 times
Question Further clarification needed

>> 4 freezing rain spells, usually 1-3 days in length
>> 6 unrelated to ice snow days, varies 2" > 2'.

This is per year, I assume?

>> Wind, usually blows 5 days per weather change, ~ 30-50% of winter

What do you mean per weather change?

>> unbearable wind typically 2 weeks in fall and 2 weeks in spring.

Classify "unbearable". Is it unbearable because it is so cold that you have to wear 6 layers of clothing or because it is so strong that you can't walk to your car without being blown over?

Old 01-08-2007, 02:20 PM

>> 4 freezing rain spells, usually 1-3 days in length
>> 6 unrelated to ice snow days, varies 2" > 2'.

This is per year, I assume? Yes

>> Wind, usually blows 5 days per weather change, ~ 30-50% of winter

What do you mean per weather change? each new major front, ~every 10 days, example, last week it blew for 5 days, (to rid east side of cold dry air) then it calmed and in 30 minutes it was raining you have to be really fast to get your outdoor projects done. Clouds are often moving west below us, and east above, when they stop - it rains (or sleet's)

>> unbearable wind typically 2 weeks in fall and 2 weeks in spring.

Classify "unbearable". Is it unbearable because it is so cold that you have to wear 6 layers of clothing or because it is so strong that you can't walk to your car without being blown over? 30mph sustained -gusts above 50mph. 3 layers of clothes (including longjohns and insulated coverals) You can 'carefully walk to car (except during freezing rain, don't need car then... Neighbor guy 80+ mentioned he kept a rope attached to barn and crawled as a kid... also with snow drifts, he had to decide whether to step over the power lines or climb under I am pretty light, but can turn sideways to reduce 'frontal' area Being from WY and CO the wind is just a fact of life (less dust here)

Again, be advised, this is the frontal zone elevations 800-1200' above and east of Washougal. (which gets less freezing rain, but is often pretty chilly and windy (15-20mph))

Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM

finally a nice "Colorado day", we get about 10 per yr...
currently 10F w/ 20 mph wind, watching the sun peak up over Mt Hood. Nice sunrise (we get about 10 of those per winter too.)

The sunsets on the mtn have been good too! Mt Hood Looks like an 'Orangecicle' Even got a glimpse of the comet

gotta relish these few sunny days, inspite of the cold. Still have ~ 4" snow

now for the bad... the homes are not often built for this cold. Frozen pipes pretty common, especially if there is water in the east (windward) wall, and the use of 'freeze proof' faucets is 'optional'. I built with water in interior walls, or in kitchen is on island (all over daylight basement). My outdoor needs are addressed with 3' burial hydrants. Heat pumps are pretty common, as our elect is cheap, but Ht pumps are not too efficient at temps below 34F. Neighbor uses propane as Ht pump backup, he is on tank # 2 this winter. @ $500 per fill. We use wood as backup to our 'passive solar'.

I put the garage facing the wind, so today it is 36F in there, and 46F in my 'airlock' room between Garage and house. The fresh air is invigorating.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-14-2007 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 AM

63 posts, read 365,233 times
Quote:
Frozen pipes pretty common, especially if there is water in the east (windward) wall, and the use of 'freeze proof' faucets is 'optional'. I built with water in interior walls, or in kitchen is on island (all over daylight basement). My outdoor needs are addressed with 3' burial hydrants.
Janb,

Being as how you are not writing a text message on a cell phone key pad, it would be great if you could write clearer sentences with a bit more detail. Your posts are difficult to read. Also, keep in mind that you are speaking to a large # of people that do not live in WA. Not everyone knows what a burial hydrant and a heat pump are. Your post says that you have water in your walls???? Please take a few extra minutes and spell things out. Use some modifiers and some verbs in your sentences. :-)

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeake View Post
Janb,

Being as how you are not writing a text message on a cell phone key pad, it would be great if you could write clearer sentences with a bit more detail. Your posts are difficult to read. ... Please take a few extra minutes and spell things out. Use some modifiers and some verbs in your sentences. :-)

Thanks.

Yikes
Don't tell my prof's - only one semester left and a 3.97 GPA !! (4th degree...)

I only text when working in Asia. (but I do pay by the minute for my very slow dial-up... no DSL, Cable..HS in these parts) so... oritory is spendy

"Water in your walls", would be the passage of any water pipes through the cavity of an exterior wall. Heat pumps and burial hydrants will be common items to my intended audience. (rural dwellers subject to Gorge Winds)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-14-2007 at 11:05 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 PM

330 posts, read 428,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
The worst of the winds are in the Gorge itself, but many fine communities (some of which I am thinking of relocationg too) are near the gorge and not as windy. I would not want to live IN the Gorge (ie Hood River, The Dalles, Bingen) but towns such as: Carson, Cook, Washougal (off the river) and Husum have great weather, and you can get to the Gorge easily.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to bump it up anyway as I am about to move to the area. my job will be in The Dalles and I was thinking it was just east of the Gorge, then I read this.

so, The Dalles is actually IN the Gorge? not just near it/east of it?

I don't know much for someone about to move there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington