Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:39 AM

735 posts, read 870,689 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow diver!

I have dove all over the world and I love diving in the Sound, Jacques Cousteau said it was one of his favorite dive sites, but I have friends who refuse to give it a chance. Getting a drysuit certification is a must and you should get an enhanced drivers license so you can experience diving in British Columbia.

That being said, get ready for sticker shock, because the cost of living is going to be much higher then you are use to. Start saving, because even though there is a lot construction it can be hard to break in when people are use to hiring people they already know. Best bet would be to have a job in hand, though that is difficult to do when people can hire locals.

You might want to look into Tacoma, but you have to understand that you need to live in a place of growth, which means traffic. Learn to listen to podcasts or classical music to get through it, but the good thing is that construction usually means slightly off hours from the worse traffic, though people are hitting the roads earlier and earlier to beat it so it's a case of diminishing returns.

WA is a great state, but it costs a lot to live here and with so many people moving in traffic is only getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:45 AM

For anyone wanting to know what diving in the PNW is like:

Diving the Pacific Northwest - Seattle and British Columbia|Underwater Photography Guide

Old 02-25-2017, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 5,009 times
I prefer it but not necessary. ..I need to make a living first so I can afford to dive..

Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 PM

Moving to a high COL area means you need to be at the top of your game. You need deep savings to draw from, probably lower your standard of living and be willing to look into a roommate situation, at least till you are established, your resume better look good, have your elevator pitch for your interview and you need to be able to distinguish yourself from all the many, many other applicants. Finally, traffic sucks and will only get worse, but that means you have better job opportunities.

Like I said, trade offs, though the diving is pretty amazing as are so many other outdoor activities and with mild weather, at least compared to where you are coming from, might make it worth it. As a diver the little time I spent living landlocked was pretty horrible, I need the water.

Oh, one thing I should mention is that you are moving north, so in winter a lot less daylight hours coupled with low hanging clouds drives some people nuts. Really think about how much sun you need. Like I said, I have friends that refuse to dive in anything other then crystal clear blue oceans, you have to be willing to hit the water and the trails when the weather sucks.

Best of luck with your decision, I know moving is always a hard decision and looking at and rewriting the pros and cons list over and over again.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 AM

Any thoughts for tri cities? I grow up in huge city and I'm done with traffic in my life....so avoid the big city centers...

Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Do you like heat and high desert scenery, or green tall trees and more rain? Because first it seems we need to decide between Eastern and Western Washington. They aren't the same kind of area at all.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 AM

I prefer the place with the most jobs, less traffic, less crime and cheaper housing. ...I'm a construction contractor. And again thanks all of you guys for the infos.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Well, your ideal may involve a compromise on some of these. If your business is construction, most of the construction is happening in the places traffic is flocking to And many times the highest crime is found in the cheaper housing areas.

Generally, cost of living is less in Eastern Washington. But jobs may be fewer. Look for a mid size town to find options with a good balance of your considerations. Don't underestimate the importance of climate... even to your business. There is an off season on both sides of the mountains, I would imagine. Tri-Cities Eastern WA, and the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater area in Western WA, are both good areas for you to consider.... but they're very different places to live.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
NZ and Australia are sounding better all the time. (very little traffic) The dog will be spendy to accompany.

As one who USED to build a lot in WA. No more for me (as possible).

Too crowded, too expensive, too much regulation.

There is a lot of fine construction talent in PNW from thousands doing flip homes for past 40 yrs.

Framing / roofing / general work it is EZ to get 'work release' labor.
Finding contractors is very ez.

NZ and AUST, still hold the building trades in High esteem / pay I have several contractor friends there. Diving is great. Wood / materials is NOT great (very expensive). Using the metric measurement of system for building trades is very fast, inexpensive, and much less waste and errors. and... it is Gyprock... not Gypsum board, not sheet rock (they will have no clue what you are asking for) 10mm thick,

Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmangr View Post
Any thoughts for tri cities? I grow up in huge city and I'm done with traffic in my life....so avoid the big city centers...

The problem with the Tri-Cities is that it is not the stereotype of Washington, meaning forests & mountains & green & trees & ocean. It is a bonafide desert. It's really hot in summer & cold, like ice & snow cold, in winter. Yes, the Columbia River runs through there, and its waters are used to irrigate the produce that grows there. I think apples, tomatoes, other veggies & Columbia Valley wines are some of the best I have ever tasted. But, if you want to live in Tri-Cities, it is desert. And you will have a looooooong drive to the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington