Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM

87 posts, read 78,481 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 22 year-old male that currently lives and in San Antonio, Texas. I'm currently going to school to become an aircraft mechanic and I would really like to relocate not too long after I finish.

I won't be relocating to Tacoma any time soon, but it just interests me as I have always been interested in Washington state. I have some questions just so I can get an overall feel on what Tacoma and Washington in general are like. I apologize if any of these seem ignorant; I've lived in this area ( central and south Texas)my whole life and haven't had the opportunity to travel the country much so far.

1. Cost of living- I've heard Washington can get very expensive, how does Tacoma fare in COL? Would it be so astronomical that the move would no longer make sense?

2.job market- does anyone know how the job market is for aircraft mechanics in the Tacoma area?

3. Social life and openness to diversity- I have to ask; does it matter being a Latino in Washington? I like Spanish music and speaking Spanish, I also might not seem completely assimilated to some people (sometimes I prefer speaking Spanish or watching Mexican soccer instead of football as examples, I do love this country though) I didn't grow up in the best neighborhoods and some people may think I have an "urban" appearance or demeanor ( some tattoos that to some may appear gang related). Just want to make it clear that I'm not involved in anything like that,but will I be treated negatively for these things? I have to ask because in some parts of Texas I have been to it definitely happens.

Thank you to all who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Washington is full of pretty tolerant people... but people's reactions and attitudes about tattoos, particularly gang type tattoos, will vary widely. Your employment chances in Tacoma will depend on job availability at one of two or three FBOs at Tacoma Narrows Airport, or a half-dozen other mid sized airports in the area from Renton to Olympia that may each have room for a couple mechanics on salary.

I would think jobs are few enough that you would want to apply widely before you decide exactly where to move.

We do have a few local A&P schools... so there is some competition from the locals.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:31 PM

8,861 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Tacoma is probably 40% cheaper than Seattle from what I've heard. So probably only moderately expensive from a San Antonio perspective.

Tacoma has several potential job opportunities. If the military hires civilians for aircraft maintenance (do they?), the south end of town has major airfields for the Air Force and Army at Joint Base Lewis McCord. Boeing has plants in Auburn and Frederickson as well as big ones closer to Seattle. Sea-Tac is 20 miles north.

According to the New York Times maps, Pierce County was 9% Latino in 2010, way up from 2000. If the trend continued it would be much higher now. It was 6% multiracial vs. 1% for Bexar County TX. Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
If you enjoy being depressed in the winter, and in the best place on earth in the summer, you have found the right place. There are two seasons here. Anyway it's diverse and beautiful and if you have something to contribute that isn't white fragility and gentrification, Tac-city would love to have you The city is getting more expensive, it's a dog eat dog world on the west coast, no escape. Enjoy the cheap districts while you can, people are being priced out as I type. Honestly, I would go for something warmer, and sunnier, personally. At this point California isn't even that much more expensive.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
If you enjoy being depressed in the winter, and in the best place on earth in the summer, you have found the right place. There are two seasons here. Anyway it's diverse and beautiful and if you have something to contribute that isn't white fragility and gentrification, Tac-city would love to have you The city is getting more expensive, it's a dog eat dog world on the west coast, no escape. Enjoy the cheap districts while you can, people are being priced out as I type. Honestly, I would go for something warmer, and sunnier, personally. At this point California isn't even that much more expensive.
I'm not sure the only part of Cali that interests me is the bay; I wouldn't want to live in southern California. Does it really get that bad in the winter? And how long would you say winter weather lasts?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Thank you for the responses they have been helpful, I'm still doing research.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:29 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I have no idea why anyone with money or resources to leave chooses to stick around the area from Oct to Mid April. One or 2 winters will destroy an average outdoor person who likes sunshine.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:05 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Maybe look at Federal Way. It is minority-majority: White alone 48%, Hispanic 15%, Black alone 13%, Asian alone 13%, Multiracial 6%, Pacific Islanders 4%.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have no idea why anyone with money or resources to leave chooses to stick around the area from Oct to Mid April. One or 2 winters will destroy an average outdoor person who likes sunshine.
Dang I like sunshine; that doesn't sound very appealing.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Maybe look at Federal Way. It is minority-majority: White alone 48%, Hispanic 15%, Black alone 13%, Asian alone 13%, Multiracial 6%, Pacific Islanders 4%.
Seems interesting,I will look into it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington