Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:59 PM

26 posts, read 31,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
Our plans got pushed up to November for husband retirement.. Our home is up for sale now so as soon as it sells, we will be there .. so excited and can't wait ♥
Wonderful. I am sure you will be quite happy in Gig Harbor. There are other great areas very close too that you can check out like Fox Island, Port Orchard and Ollala. Good luck in finding a place and let me know if you have any questions. I have done a fair amount of research and we are in the area quite often so if I can be of any help, feel free to send me a PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 04:29 PM

329 posts, read 466,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzg View Post
Wonderful. I am sure you will be quite happy in Gig Harbor. There are other great areas very close too that you can check out like Fox Island, Port Orchard and Ollala. Good luck in finding a place and let me know if you have any questions. I have done a fair amount of research and we are in the area quite often so if I can be of any help, feel free to send me a PM.
thank you .. I joined Facebook groups for Key Peninsula, Port Orchard and Ollala .. its really cool to get a feel for everyone there.. I did take a drive to Belfair and Grapeview few months ago and that was really pretty to just little far from everything..

We are so excited.. ♥

Old 08-31-2017, 01:59 PM

740 posts, read 1,244,524 times
Not to hijack this from the OP, but we're also considering relocating to the area. We've been in the Bend/Redmond area for 4 years and the summers have become horrendous with very unhealthy air from many wildfires and triple digit temps. We moved from the foothills of Colorado after 30 years of huge snowfalls (134" per season). We're retired so jobs, commutes, and schools are not issues. We'll probably realize $300K out of our current house. We've been to Seattle a number of times but know we can't afford it. We've looked online at real estate in Bremerton and a few other places. We're driving up to take a ferry to Victoria in a few weeks and plan on checking out a few areas on the way back. We understand this is a much wetter climate than we're used to and wonder if the locals get cabin fever in the winter like we did in the mountains of Colorado. Any recommendations?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM

5,653 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Gig Harbor is best. Look for the Lake Whales.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:37 PM

91 posts, read 139,566 times
Did the original poster end up moving to Gig Harbor, or elsewhere? Would love an update!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:37 PM

859 posts, read 1,054,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
I drove over the bridge to GH and screamed with excitement because it was amazing.. That day was foggy but it added to the atmosphere.. We drove down to the harbor and had lunch at Tides Tavern.. They were so friendly that our waitress had the manager come over to the table to welcome us and hoped we would move there too..
We walked around, it was beautiful.. Then we took a drive to the "shopping" and loved how you had beauty and shopping so close LOL..
We are going back next month to show my husband ♥
I saw this video and knew I wanted to go see it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMI-nMLMg5M&t=43s
Linky no worky.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:09 PM

26 posts, read 31,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
Not to hijack this from the OP, but we're also considering relocating to the area. We've been in the Bend/Redmond area for 4 years and the summers have become horrendous with very unhealthy air from many wildfires and triple digit temps. We moved from the foothills of Colorado after 30 years of huge snowfalls (134" per season). We're retired so jobs, commutes, and schools are not issues. We'll probably realize $300K out of our current house. We've been to Seattle a number of times but know we can't afford it. We've looked online at real estate in Bremerton and a few other places. We're driving up to take a ferry to Victoria in a few weeks and plan on checking out a few areas on the way back. We understand this is a much wetter climate than we're used to and wonder if the locals get cabin fever in the winter like we did in the mountains of Colorado. Any recommendations?
I would check Port Orchard which is actually Kitsap County just outside of Gig Harbor which may have more options in the $300K range. We ended up in Port Orchard but the county line is literally down the road. I would have loved to live near downtown Gig Harbor but my husband wanted acreage so we compromised. Port Orchard is quite nice as well and has it's own downtown. Not as nice as Gig Harbor, have to be honest, but very quaint. The best part is the friendly people. We live in corporate housing outside of Seattle and I wish my neighbors were as friendly. The house in Port Orchard is our future retirement home. We can't wait to leave the east side. Just not my kind of people. Seattle has gotten out of control with the cost. My friends live in shoebox size homes which are worth over $500,000. Insane.

There is a car ferry from Southworth (Port Orchard) that takes you to West Seattle but in 2020 there will be a foot "fast" ferry from Port Orchard that will take you right in downtown Seattle. I am thinking property prices will go up in Port Orchard when this ferry comes in.

Go for a visit and see for yourself. Gig Harbor just has such a great vibe. I just love it there. If you do come visit, stop by Tides Tavern. It's my favorite restaurant. Great food and beautiful view. Servers are so friendly as well. Best of luck!

Here is a house to check out.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...49_rect/10_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington