Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 17,235 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Need help on finalizing the below Itinerary and which are the Best Waterfalls for Photography, including Night Photography to capture the Milky Way

Just want to clarify, that I totally understand the amount of driving this route entails and have seen and double checked everything in Google Maps. There will be 3 of us driving and we are used to taking turns and driving 300-400 miles a day, around 7-8 hrs (or more) of driving every day. (You will see similar discussions by me on other National Parks in my profile)

Due to the limited amount of days we have, I want to make the best (feasible) use of time to get nice landscapes/compositions/night shots. And I totally understand that we are not doing justice to the places that we want to see and we will not be able to see everything, but that is how it is :-(

Day 1:
Olympic NP (However much we can cover), then Night stay near North Cascades NP. How much of ONP do you think we can cover and what would be the most scenic route, keeping in mind that we have to travel north towards North Cascades. What would be a nice place to stay near North Cascades, keeping in mind the Night photography aspect

Day 2: Drive towards Mt. Rainier via Wenatchee National Forest, Leavenworth etc and head towards Mt. Rainier. Night halt somewhere on the way, maybe Ellensburg etc. Which route would be the most scenic and what would be nice place to stay near Mt. Rainier, keeping in mind the Night photography aspect

Day 3: See Mt. Rainier and head towards Palouse. Night Photography at Palouse Waterfalls. Which route would be scenic and which place should we stay at Night ?

Day 4: See Steptoe Butte SP and head towards Columbia River Gorge. Which route would be scenic and which place should we stay at Night ?

Day 5: See Columbia RIVER GORGE - Hood River Valley and the waterfalls – Multnomah, others. Have Flight in the evening at around 7 from Portland

Thanks as ALWAYS for your Guidance….It has helped me efficiently plan my earlier trips, ALWAYS.

Regards
Manish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:00 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
When is this trip planned for?

If it's anytime before about mid-June of this year, you're likely to encounter some issues getting across some of the passes. The news was just out a couple of days ago that the North Cascades Pass is not likely to open until sometime in early/mid June, and the same is likely for Cayouse-Chinook Passes by Rainier.

That said, you will still be able to use Snoqualmie, White or Stevens Passes to get over to the east side.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Lots of driving, drive the boring stuff at night

Hint: Inbound in the Gorge... stay east (Crow Butte?) and travel on I-84 for best sun / pics of North side. Enjoy Bonneville Dam and Hatchery visitor's center, then take the Scenic Highway slightly west from there on into Troutdale (Waterfalls and Multnomah lodge + Vista House and Women's Overlook) If you are into history, art, and pics, stop at Edgefield's in Troutdale (Ex-Poor Farm).

For places to stay out east... consider Goldendale / Maryhill region (The observatory is nice for an evening of star gazing)
Go to Stonehenge for sunrise pics. Home* |* Columbia Gorge Wine Country

If you are over age 40, the farm guest home / museum in Bickleton, WA has been raved about for yrs! ($20 / night) Even people in NZ were exclaiming how much fun they had in Bickleton.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-31-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 PM

226 posts, read 303,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishbit View Post
Hi All,

Day 3: See Mt. Rainier and head towards Palouse. Night Photography at Palouse Waterfalls. Which route would be scenic and which place should we stay at Night ?

Day 4: See Steptoe Butte SP and head towards Columbia River Gorge. Which route would be scenic and which place should we stay at Night ?

Regards
Manish

There is absolutely NOTHING around Palouse Falls. After you take some pics, you'll probably want to head to Pullman for the night, since you next stop is Steptoe Butte (of note: Kamiak Butte is much better for a short hike). In Pullman, there are a few places to stay; Hilltop Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Quality Inn, and Residence Inn are at the top of the list. The rest are not so great.

You could possibly skip Pullman and stay the night in Colfax at the Best Western.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Palouse Falls is scenic, and if you want to see it in all its glory, go now! The falls are their best in years due to the snowfall/melting this winter. Normally, they are just a trickle compared to lately.

I agree, Palouse Falls is quite isolated. Pullman, or even Tri-Cities would be the nearest night stop.

Steptoe Butte...meh. The most interesting thing about the Butte is someone put up a hotel on top more than 100 years ago. It burned down. I think someone also proposed another resort there.

Columbia Gorge...terrific especially westbound. And you should start around Pasco at Hwy 12 to 730 in Oregon for the full effect all the way to the Portland Metro.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-31-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Thanks All for your detailed suggestions. Truly Appreciate it !!

Please provide your inputs to the route and places that I have mentioned below. My map is looking as follows: https://goo.gl/maps/hRrR8RRpsWw.

Day 1: Sunrise @ Hurricane Ridge, Ho Rain Forest, take the evening Ferry to Coupeville, then Chuckanut Scenic Drive, Sunset @ Picture Lake; Night Photography @ Picture Lake; staying in Rockport

Day 2: Sunrise @ Ross/Diablo Lake; which other places should I see in the North Cascades NP? Then take Hwy 2 towards Leavenworth, then Rt 97, then Rt 970, Night Photography @ Cle Elum Lake; staying in Cle Elum

Day 3: Where should I do Sunrise photography near Cle Elum? Then take I 90 to Snoqualmie Falls, then head to Mt Rainier NP. Should I go via Rt 410 or Rt 165? Which places should I see here ? Then head towards Palouse Falls for Night Photography. Where can I get nice Sunset photos on my way towards Palouse? Stay near Colfax

Day 4: Where should I do Sunrise photography near Colfax? Do the Palouse Scenic Byway and head towards Columbia River Gorge. Which would be the most scenic route and where can I get nice Sunset photos and Milky Way ? Stay near Stonehenge memorial

Day5: Where should I do Sunrise photography near Stonehenge memorial? See the Waterfalls in Columbia River Gorge and return to Portland in the evening

- Thanks

Old 04-15-2017, 09:34 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
When are you planning to go? Right now you can't get to there on 165 or 410, they're both closed for the season for at least another couple of months. https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/road-status.htm

The North Cascades highway is also closed for another couple of months, or more if repairs take longer. You can't get to Ross or Diablo right now the road is closed at Newhalem. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades/

I was at the Stonehenge memorial last week, it's interesting to see but I wouldn't make a special effort to be there at sunrise.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Hi All,

With our trip a few days away, below is a detailed summary of our 5 day itinerary. Need help on last minute inputs for Best Landscape routes, Best Waterfalls for Photography, including Night Photography to capture the Lakes, Milky Way, Sunrise/Sunsets etc

Day 1:
• Sunrise - Hurricane Ridge
• Midday – Which of these or others are an absolute must: Marymere Falls, Madison Falls, Crescent Lake, Sol Duc Falls, Ho Rain Forest etc….Take evening Ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville, then Chuckanut Scenic Drive
• Sunset – Where can I get a nice Sunset location? Any of these - Deception Pass SP, Woodstock Farm, Chuckanut etc ? Or should we do Sunset at Picture Lake and/or Artist Point on Hwy 542 ? Is Nooksack Falls good?
• Night Photography – Picture Lake

Day 2:
• Sunrise – Picture Lake or is there any other nice location in that region ?
• Midday – North Cascades NP, read that route between Diablo and Mazama is now open, Diablo, Ross Lake…then come down to Big Four Ice Caves via route 530, thenn Wallace Falls SP. Any other must see places on Hwy 2 ? Planning to take Rt 97, then 970 after Hwy 2
• Sunset – Where can I get a nice Sunset location on Hwy 2 – preferably with a Lake in the background, we are open for any short hikes as well
• Night Photography – Any dark place near Cle Elum? Any of the lakes ?

Day 3:
• Sunrise – Any nice location near Cle Elum ?
• Midday – Snoqualmie Falls, then then head to Mt Rainier NP. Should I go via Rt 410 (White River Entrance) or Rt 706 (Nisqually)? I am assuming Rt 165 will be closed. Does this look okay - https://goo.gl/maps/4LXfwrJ8iuw
Will any of these falls be open to view: Wauhaukaupauken Falls, Spray, Narada ?
• Sunset – Reflection Lake or can I get a nice Sunset location on Hwy 12 en route to Palouse Waterfalls
• Night Photography – Palouse Waterfalls

Day 4:
• Sunrise – Any nice location near Colfax? Steptoe Butte or any other ?
• Midday – Steptoe Butte, Palouse Scenic Byway
• Sunset – Palouse Waterfalls or any other place en route to Stonhenege ? What is the most scenic route from Palouse to Stonehenge Memorial ?
• Night Photography – Stonehenge Memorial

Day 5:
• Sunrise – Any nice location near Biggs Junction ?
• Midday until 6 PM – Should we try to see Trout Lake (141) or Lost Lake (281) as a detour, before going to see the Columbia River Gorge waterfalls? Which falls are a must see ?

- Thanks

Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
from Palouse Falls, drive the Snake and Columbia river gorge enroute to Stonehenge.

Evening 4 since you are overnighting nearby, try to catch a program at Goldendale Observatory
Goldendale Observatory - Home

I would probably do sunrise back at Stonehenge or nearby Maryhill

Skip the side trips enroute to Oregon Waterfalls (assume you are meaning Columbia Gorge)
Trout Lake is no longer a lake (silted in decades ago) Nice views of Mt Adams, but not worth a trip out of your way. Great camping at nice lakes on north slope of Mt Adams (next trip). Hood River is a very nice town and visitor friendly (so is White Salmon, but less going on)

There are several very nice Waterfalls right near the road. (Historic Columbia Gorge Highway). B4 coming, Do watch the PBS special on Sam Hill (built the highway with 'vistas / artists' in mind, also built Maryhill. )

5 min off the end of Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway is a very interesting stop / brewpub / hotel / theater. (restored from vintage 'Poor Farm" circa 1920 - 1940)
https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield
Interesting... but not for everyone - VERY Portland.

If you have a few minutes free time in Portland, also do Powell Books (Largest used bookstore in the world, very Portland too!) Oregon Crafts / store nearby "Mother Goose" (Very nice). Jakes Crawfish, famous food and great happy hour. (all within 5 min of Powell Books)

Add the Mt St Helens Visitors center at Castle Rock, WA (very nice one 5 min off I-5)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-21-2017 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington