Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 31,918 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Longview. People here are "conservative" in that they are mostly a certain classification of blue collar worker that loves to get drunk and high after work. Most people around here aren't really religious. Like a good deal of the South we have mostly trailer trash, white trash types. I'm not talking about the good-hearted America loving rednecks. I'm referring to the people that when they walk down the street you know that they live a certain trailer lifestyle. The girls all dress a certain way. The guys all dress and act a certain way. Even if they don't actually live in one. Nothing wrong with trailer parks per sey. Not all of them fit the stereotype. I grew up in a trailer park in Colorado and it was nice and had normal blue collar families living there. It was just cheaper than a stick built house. That's not what I'm referring to. Picture every negative trailer trash stereotype you can. That's what we have here.Jobs are horrible. Cost of living is cheap because no one wants to be here. Avoid both Lewis and Cowlitz Counties. If you are a religious conservative Republican and not into the beer swilling, drug shooting, weed smoking lifestyle you won't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Lewis County is conservative. Cowlitz County voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012:

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...wa_results.jpg

Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
I think something that many miss is even the conservatives in Washington State have a libertarian mindset. By that, I mean they not be bible belt conservatives, but mostly conservative fiscally, and moderate on social issues. I can't speak for everyone, but as a resident of Eastern WA this is what I see.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think something that many miss is even the conservatives in Washington State have a libertarian mindset. By that, I mean they not be bible belt conservatives, but mostly conservative fiscally, and moderate on social issues. I can't speak for everyone, but as a resident of Eastern WA this is what I see.
This is exactly right. A WA state conservative does not do "conservative" the way that a Southerner or a Midwesterner does.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:11 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Even though Washington seems to have less "in your face" conservatives, many still have the traditional socially conservative beliefs. For example, many counties still rejected same sex marriage in 2012, some counties by huge margins- including Lewis county.

2012 Washington state election results | Politics | The Seattle Times

Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 AM

53 posts, read 77,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.McClure View Post
I currently live in Longview. People here are "conservative" in that they are mostly a certain classification of blue collar worker that loves to get drunk and high after work. Most people around here aren't really religious. Like a good deal of the South we have mostly trailer trash, white trash types. I'm not talking about the good-hearted America loving rednecks. I'm referring to the people that when they walk down the street you know that they live a certain trailer lifestyle. The girls all dress a certain way. The guys all dress and act a certain way. Even if they don't actually live in one. Nothing wrong with trailer parks per sey. Not all of them fit the stereotype. I grew up in a trailer park in Colorado and it was nice and had normal blue collar families living there. It was just cheaper than a stick built house. That's not what I'm referring to. Picture every negative trailer trash stereotype you can. That's what we have here.Jobs are horrible. Cost of living is cheap because no one wants to be here. Avoid both Lewis and Cowlitz Counties. If you are a religious conservative Republican and not into the beer swilling, drug shooting, weed smoking lifestyle you won't like it.
That's too bad. I was really hoping it would be a safe and affordable area with decent jobs, like most majority conservative places in the country. How can it have so much drugs and crime and gangs? You only really see those in those in counties ruled by Liberals.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:23 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy James View Post
That's too bad. I was really hoping it would be a safe and affordable area with decent jobs, like most majority conservative places in the country. How can it have so much drugs and crime and gangs? You only really see those in those in counties ruled by Liberals.
You're kidding, right?

Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
We went on a camping trip last October. Once we were on Highway 20 we saw Trump signs everywhere for three weeks wandering through Eastern Washington and Oregon. It wasn't until we hit the Oregon coast north of Florence that we saw our first Hillary sign. Ditto for our four week camping trip to Eastern Washington and a lot of Idaho into Eastern Oregon.

We spoke with the locals and they wanted no more Democrats. They want resource jobs and no imported workers. Lots of poverty but pockets of prosperity. We enjoyed speaking with them as they pointed out places to visit and where we could camp.

Btw, I live in a liberal PNW city and voted for neither.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Even though Washington seems to have less "in your face" conservatives, many still have the traditional socially conservative beliefs. For example, many counties still rejected same sex marriage in 2012, some counties by huge margins- including Lewis county.

2012 Washington state election results | Politics | The Seattle Times
Same sex marriage is a poor choice determining socially conservative beliefs.

I voted for same-sex marriage, despite my reservations. My view is that government has NO ROLE in marriage.

The only reason the STATE issues marriage licenses was the need in the last century to protect children and women as being the economically weaker members of a marriage. So the STATE supplemented a religious ceremony with a CIVIL CONTRACT still calling it marriage.

My take is with need to get rid of the concept of state sanctioned marriage. We keep a STATE sanctioned civil contract. When you decide to spend the rest of your life with a person you would go and get a CIVIL UNION CONTRACT and meet with a para-legal so both of you would understand your legal obligations to each other.
Then you would get your civil union license.

You could get married in a church or other ceremony not related to the STATE if you chose so.

I believe that if the initiative if written as a civil contract would have passed by a very large majority. It is time to get the government out of marriage.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
You're kidding, right?
Nice map. You do realize that the map correlates perfectly with illegal immigration into this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington