U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,733,552 times

Advertisements

I never thought that I'd be living in WA state again after having left to go to TN after military retirement, but I've been offered a job at the American Lake VA Hospital and I should be starting there at the end of Aug or at the start of Sept, salary about $100,000 with no bills except for cell phone, cars are paid for, etc. That's for budgeting info, I can afford a higher rent, but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

I'm a single white guy, I would like suggestions for places to live that are very close to the VA hospital, that are safe, clean and low crime, any suggestions??

I've always lived in my own home, however, I was considering living in an apartment that includes water, sewer, trash to keep expenses down and that has a gym/pool, etc. And I really need to have a garage for my motorcycle and other toys.

I hate the idea of wasting money on rent, so my natural inclination is to find the cheapest rent, however, I realize that I may have to pay a little extra to live in a better area and at a better facility, any idea how much rents are??? 1-2 bedroom with 1-2 baths plus garage is what I'm after in a newish facility.....Dupont??

Any other suggestions about where to live that's close to work, where NOT to live, info about the area, etc. The last time that I lived in WA state was 2007 and that was in Port Orchard.

Also on moving, my employer is not helping with the move, so I have to pay everything myself. My thoughts are to either rent a u-haul and pull my truck behind it, or buy an enclosed trailer and move whatever stuff I can't/won't/don't want to sell. I'm leaning towards the trailer and pulling it with my truck and just leaving the stuff in it until I can find a place to rent.

Thanks for any solid advice that you can give an old man.

Tony1790
US Coast Guard, retired
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:14 PM

7,467 posts, read 6,181,053 times
Cheapest rent is near BLM: Lakewood, Parkland, Spanaway. For instance: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Safe(r), clean, low crime: west and north Lakewood is not bad, Steilacoom, University Place.

Also look at Mid-Tacoma (near the Tacoma Mall).

Old 06-29-2017, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 11,187 times
Hello,

I just transfered to the VA in American Lake. I would suggest Steilacoom, or the Oakbrook area of Lakewood. Pretty much all of University place is nice and the time is now to purchase in UP as the price of houses will soon go up.

Being at American Lake leaves alot of options open for afforable housing in the area.

You don't want to do south as you have traffic to contend to going through I5 between lacy and JBLM.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbeflyin View Post
Hello,

I just transfered to the VA in American Lake. I would suggest Steilacoom, or the Oakbrook area of Lakewood. Pretty much all of University place is nice and the time is now to purchase in UP as the price of houses will soon go up.

Being at American Lake leaves alot of options open for afforable housing in the area.

You don't want to do south as you have traffic to contend to going through I5 between lacy and JBLM.
Thanks

Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,832,335 times
I would recommend Steilacoom or Dupont. You can avoid needing to go on I-5 for your work commute and should be able to easily afford a nice rental home, condo, or apartment.
Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
I would recommend Steilacoom or Dupont. You can avoid needing to go on I-5 for your work commute and should be able to easily afford a nice rental home, condo, or apartment.
Best of luck!
Thanks!

Old 09-17-2017, 11:01 AM

I finally arrived in Tacoma with everything that I own packed into the back of my pick up and my car on a U-haul trailer behind me, everyplace that I am looking at is either sketchy or there are no openings until next month. I wasn't able to line anything up prior to moving here as i was given just over a weeks notice to report for duty and pack in TN and then drive 3200 miles here. Any suggestions on a plan B? I need somewhere to stay at least temporarily until I can find a more permanent place, I have to be at work in Seattle, in the morning for orientation with the VA hospital!

Tony
(stressed in WA)

Old 09-17-2017, 11:26 AM

8,663 posts, read 5,429,006 times
Look into AirBnB for simple and sometimes more affordable temporary arrangements in a private home, rather than a hotel.

https://www.airbnb.com/

Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM

7,467 posts, read 6,181,053 times
$82 night in Kent: https://www.vrbo.com/4386780ha?unitId=4831728

Old 09-17-2017, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,164 posts, read 45,320,762 times
Immediate stay might be tough to find FAST. (spare room with seniors that have extra space in their HUGE house)

Get your need expressed at work and consider posting "wanted' something on Steilacoom / Dupont / Anderson Island bulletin / facebook. especially senior centers and churches.

Should be a good time of yr to find a house-sitting gig (though april).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington