Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
But the 2nd map I showed includes all drug overdoses. Here's another one showing the same thing:

source

You can see it is at least as much a rural (and thus, conservative) problem as it is an urban one. All those dark red areas in Utah, Oklahoma, southern Missouri and Appalachia hardly voted for Hillary Clinton!
Apples to oranges. One map shows ALL DEATHS by opiate overdose, and the other one shows TREATMENT (if they were being treated, they weren't dead) under PRIVATE INSURANCE only, and two years apart from what is shown in the first map. You just can't compare those two sets of stats with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 11:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yes. VT was really nice in the pre-Bernie days.
The population in VT may be over half druggie, but Bernie can always retreat to one of his three homes.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Pikabike, while it's certainly worth pointing out that the two maps aren't comparing the exact same thing, that doesn't negate the point that drug use nationwide- especially as it relates to the opioid abuse- is clearly not limited to one area, region, or political persuasion (as some posters here have insinuated or outright claimed).

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

It's well known fact that the Opioid epidemic disproportionately affects rural, poor areas. On a side note, I'm not saying that YOU think this way, but I find it amusing that a lot of people refer to drug crimes/addictions/overdoses in cities as somehow worse and more sinister than drug crimes/addictions/overdoses in small-town America, where the problem is currently skyrocketing.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
The population in VT may be over half druggie, but Bernie can always retreat to one of his three homes.
I heard a ranting speaker on a microphone shout to the masses that "We're going to take the power away from the East Coast politicians!" This was at a Bernie rally, and the crowd roared its groupthink approval.

Highly ironic. Just as ironic is that some Trump-eters denigrate Hilary for being "city".

Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Pikabike, while it's certainly worth pointing out that the two maps aren't comparing the exact same thing, that doesn't negate the point that drug use nationwide- especially as it relates to the opioid abuse- is clearly not limited to one area, region, or political persuasion (as some posters here have insinuated or outright claimed).

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

It's well known fact that the Opioid epidemic disproportionately affects rural, poor areas. On a side note, I'm not saying that YOU think this way, but I find it amusing that a lot of people refer to drug crimes/addictions/overdoses in cities as somehow worse and more sinister than drug crimes/addictions/overdoses in small-town America, where the problem is currently skyrocketing.
Agree on the first point. It's not limited to any of those factors. Drugs are all over the US.

Where things differ is in attitude towards substance abuse, as well as ability to hide the habit. Someone who is wealthy has ways to better disguise the habit or treat it, at least for a while. Substance abusers who are homeless are more obvious. That doesn't necessarily mean there are more addicts in that area.

I do feel that a location's level of normalization of substance abuse affects percentage of people who become addicts. If "everybody does it" there is a larger pool of potential addicts to draw from.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
I heard a ranting speaker on a microphone shout to the masses that "We're going to take the power away from the East Coast politicians!" This was at a Bernie rally, and the crowd roared its groupthink approval.

Highly ironic. Just as ironic is that some Trump-eters denigrate Hilary for being "city".
Bernie is a feisty dude, but no one's life is going to drastically improve if he had gotten elected. Or any politician.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Yes. VT was really nice in the pre-Bernie days.
It probably was but I would say the whole country seemed nicer and happier regardless of who their elected leaders are.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:33 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
As bad of a reputation as Yakima has I am pleased to see this region has a lower heroin problem than the state or national average. Meth is probably a different story. I think the large Hispanic population helps lower the drug stats here...especially the newer immigrants are not the druggie types. They are mostly hard working and family oriented.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:52 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
WA state may not be the worst, apparently Vermont and our nation's capitol are even worse for drug abuse, but WA is still pretty high up there.

Any explanations for as to why?
I have lived in alot of places , yes even Amsterdam and the worst I've seen was back in Oklahoma.. You could not escape the bathtub speed ( meth, crystal- whatever), corn liquor , and Oxy - the heroin of the south . It was EVERYWHERE . No winners there either , at least of the ones who stayed .

It is everywhere.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:00 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You may lose some of your addicts. Oregon has just legalized hard drugs, so I predict a big influx of hard drug users into Oregon. Your addicts who are not too stoned to crawl and who can steal enough to pay for their transportation might be moving a bit south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington