Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM

32 posts, read 18,386 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are exploring the idea of retiring to the Olympia or Centralia area and we're hoping that someone can give us some idea of the cost of utilities in the area. We looking for about a 1500 sq ft house.
Electric/gas
water/sewer
garbage
cable/satelite
internet
lawn care
Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:36 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,440 times
I only live in an apt but my electric is ~$40/mo. The electricity cost here in Washington is the cheapest in all the US btw. My w/s/g was like ~$80 or so a month in my old place, where I live now it's included in the rent. With comcast and the cheapest package they have my Internet with basic cable is $60/mo. I have yet to live in a place here that uses gas.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
IME electric heat is cheaper than gas in western WA. If you end up getting an older home, check to make sure it's not an old oil-burning furnace. There are some of those still around, and they're very expensive.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 PM

147 posts, read 167,952 times
Electric in parts of Eastern WA are the cheapest in the country, but still somewhat low in Western WA.
Electric/gas - For 1500 sf house if you have a heat pump probably about $70/mo, not sure how much natural gas is.
Depends on if it is for heating or just fireplace and cooktop.
Someplaces have propane for heating which is much more.

water/sewer - household water for winter months about $40/mo for 2 people. Sewer may be about the same, so $80 for both. If you water your lawn expect much higher water bills. Many people in Western WA just let their lawn go dormant (brown) in the winter. It takes quite a bit of water to keep your lawn green in the summer.

garbage combined with mandatory recycle is about $35 per month.
cable/satelite - comcast is the standard for cable and internet, Prices are all over depending on what you want. You can look at the website.

lawn care - don't know many people do their own.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 PM

147 posts, read 167,952 times
This should have said "let their lawn go dormant (brown) in the summer"

Also, if you are on sewer there is usually an added stormwater/wastewater fee. I am not sure how much that is as I have been on septic for awhile.

Heat pump is nice for the AC in the summer, there are a handful of days when it is needed. I think most people who heat with a heat pump, also have a backup gas furnace they can use when the temps drop too low for the heat pump to keep up.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:01 PM

32 posts, read 18,386 times
Thank you, all. That helps a lot.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
I'm just outside the city of Olympia proper and only utility is electricity...

Home has fantastic well water and septic... work has a dumpster that I am free to use the night before collection.

Being all electric means the bill varies depending on heat... I spend about $200 month in winter and use the wood stove a lot... free wood.

The folks prior to me spent as much as $600 in winter

Old 07-18-2017, 05:23 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I only live in an apt but my electric is ~$40/mo. The electricity cost here in Washington is the cheapest in all the US btw. My w/s/g was like ~$80 or so a month in my old place, where I live now it's included in the rent. With comcast and the cheapest package they have my Internet with basic cable is $60/mo. I have yet to live in a place here that uses gas.
It isn't so cheap in a house. When I lived in Seattle apartments my electric bill was bi-monthly and was $20 each time so $10 a month. In my house, the electric bill for two people is $500 a month in the winter, and $200 a month the warmer months. Between water/sewer/garbage and electric, I pay about 900 a month in winter...

Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
Holy crud those numbers don't seem possible. $900? Are you sure?

Old 07-19-2017, 02:36 AM

301 posts, read 520,015 times

OP, take the figures posters have offered, double them, and you'll get a slightly more accurate view.

Kitsap County--1800 sq. ft. home, 25+ years old, heat pump for heat/cooling, housing for four persons. PSE (Puget Sound Energy) in summer, ~$100, PSE in winter ~$300. We have only electric, no gas. I can't comment on gas (natural or propane tank). We've had donated wood for our fireplaces. Not sure if that's an option for you. I have no idea what a cord of dry wood goes for in this region.

Water, figure $80/month. Most utility districts are bi-monthly, so figure closer to ~$180 when the bill arrives, because they include taxes and street lights.

Cable/Internet is going to be where you can lose the most, or save the most. It really depends on location. Plan on $250/mo. in a "just in case" scenario. Yours will likely be less, but prep for the "worst-case scenario." Comcast covers areas that Century Link doesn't, and Century Link covers areas Wave doesn't, so you have to do that research individually.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington