Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times

Advertisements

I was enamored for years with the Anacortes and LaConner area. Started looking into the possibility of considering that as a living spot for the future when we plan a move in a year or so. However I did a bit of research, and it seems there has been quite a bit of controversy over the Tesoro and Shell Refineries in that area heading to Anacortes. Seems they have already been fined for release of toxic material which sickened folks, and years ago there was an incident there that killed 7. Now they are looking at bringing in more crude for processing and extracting some new materials for use in production of plastics (also toxic). And with the increase of train traffic to it increasing the risks of a leak and more. Personally living currently in the Salt Lake area it's plenty full of toxic refineries and even the renowned Kennicott Copper mining company famous for toxic deposits all over the place in the land and water and destruction of a complete mountainside that is quite prominent in view. I really want to LEAVE that and not go somewhere where it's once again an issue.

So what the REAL truth about these refineries negatively impacting the environment of Anacortes and LaConner, as I've been looking at the Shelter Cove development there near LaConner. Thanks for as brutal a response as you may give. I simply want the real truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:18 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
The Benzene and Xylene exposure risks are primarily for workers at the plant. There was a release of Benzene by Tesoro into the air in 2016, due to improper shutdown and decontamination procedures, primarily impacting LaConner and the Swinomish Indian Reservation, for which they were fined. Opponents, of course, want to maximize the potential risk, while the companies want to minimize it. Consumers are also exposed to benzene when pumping gas - EPA mandated efforts are being made to reduce benzene in gas.

I'm not seeing a risk of benzene exposure beyond the immediately surrounding area. We like to think of rural areas as pristine, but that is seldom the case, with oil refineries, paper mills, aluminum smelters, cement plants, power plants, etc., often located there:

These Are Washington's Top 10 Climate Polluters | KUOW News and Information

Since Tesoro wants to export Xylene, a byproduct of gasoline refining, bringing up to 60 additional tanker ships in, there are additional concerns over potential spills, which could kill wildlife, but would evaporate quickly. Opponents are primarily complaining that this will increase greenhouse gas emissions.

EPA settlement:

Tesoro must clean up oil refinery in Anacortes, EPA says | The Bellingham Herald

Benzene:

Benzene Lawsuit - Anacortes Refinery (Tesoro) Benzene AML Lawsuit

https://www.jhkelly.com/news/jh-kell...ound-refinery/

Xylene:
Community raises environmental concerns with Tesoro refinery's proposed project | News | goskagit.com

Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,516 times
I'm wondering about this exact same issue. Our family is relocating to the area for my husband's new job in mt. vernon, and I've pretty much scrapped Anacortes from the list of options due to being concerned about air quality from the refinery (We visited a month ago and when we rolled the car windows down driving that direction our eyes were burning and the smell was incredibly strong). But I want to know how far the possible toxicity would spread? Like should we cross La Conner off of our list as well? I would be curious to hear more about this from the perspective of it's effects on residents of the towns, vs. just employees of the plants.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenfern View Post
I'm wondering about this exact same issue. Our family is relocating to the area for my husband's new job in mt. vernon, and I've pretty much scrapped Anacortes from the list of options due to being concerned about air quality from the refinery (We visited a month ago and when we rolled the car windows down driving that direction our eyes were burning and the smell was incredibly strong). But I want to know how far the possible toxicity would spread? Like should we cross La Conner off of our list as well? I would be curious to hear more about this from the perspective of it's effects on residents of the towns, vs. just employees of the plants.
Anything wrong with living in Mt. Vernon?

Old 09-30-2017, 06:36 PM

1,487 posts, read 781,364 times
If you're from Washington, no it's not toxic. If you're from out of state, yes it is.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I lived in Anacortes and we had no problems with smells from the refinery. Nor have i heard of any complaints other than it happening a couple of years ago and Shell was fined for it.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:29 PM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
My family has had a summer place west of Anacortes since the 60s. We've had no effect from refinery operations. Occasionally I've noticed smells near the refineries. The prevailing winds send emissions to the northeast, Bow, Edison. Don't know if it has much impact there. I've never noticed anything when I've been in that area.

I suppose there could be a rail tanker accident but I'm more concerned about a marine tanker accident, spilling pollutants into Padilla and Fidalgo Bays, Guemes Channel and Rosario Strait. That would hurt crabbing, fishing, beachcombing and property values, but not day-to-day life.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:23 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
My family has had a summer place west of Anacortes since the 60s. We've had no effect from refinery operations. Occasionally I've noticed smells near the refineries. The prevailing winds send emissions to the northeast, Bow, Edison. Don't know if it has much impact there. I've never noticed anything when I've been in that area.

I suppose there could be a rail tanker accident but I'm more concerned about a marine tanker accident, spilling pollutants into Padilla and Fidalgo Bays, Guemes Channel and Rosario Strait. That would hurt crabbing, fishing, beachcombing and property values, but not day-to-day life.
Agreed.
We lived on Cap Sante where you'd think we'd smell something if there was a problem.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,907 times
Default Poisan air in the Skagit flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenfern View Post
We actually sampled your DNA and designed a special gas to target you and your family, Just kidding but your assertion on the affects are in your mind as nobody but those like you experience this. Those refineries and the associated suppliers represent blue collar jobs. The last thing Washington State needs is more anti-working class transplants.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
BTW, regardless the level of 'risk', the prevailing winds in Anacortes blow from the southeast in winter and southwest in summer, so the town would be unlikely to notice it anyway. Though would still make any health considerations a higher 'priority' over finding a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington