Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 5,563 times

Advertisements

My husband has a contruction job opportunity in the Seattle/Bellevue area. We have 3 school aged kids so a great school district is a must. We are not big city people and would prefer a smaller city with an easier commute under an hour to the Seattle/Bellevue area. We are looking for homes in the mid 300k- lower 400k range in a neighborhood that is charming and full of community and character, doesn't have a stuffy feel, but also doesn't feel ran down. A safe neighborhood is also a huge must! We are open to anywhere around Seattle, except preferably not south. We would also like to be able to frequent a nice family beach, hiking, and nice parks. I would like to be able to NOT have to go into Seattle at all for basic needs. We are coming from the east side of the state and so this will be an adjustment for our family. Thank you in advance for helpful advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Edmonds? You may be able to find a SFH there in the lower 400K range. Check RE listings. And there definitely is beachfront there. And a ferry to the Kitsap Peninsula.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
"Seattle/Bellevue" is pretty broad. Good luck finding a 4-bd house for under $425k that is not "south". You can maybe find a 3-bd house, with two kids bunking up, but not much south of Lynnwood. Assuming you won't be commuting to Seattle, maybe look at Duvall or North Bend.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:37 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
This is a little out of my area but I think that is a tall order for Seattle/Bellevue.

Not only are prices climbing there, but you're lucky to have less than an hour commute to Bellevue if you live and work IN Bellevue.

You may have to go a ways out to find what you want at that price. And... you won't be alone. Many are looking for the same thing.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Since your kids are school-age, OP, you might consider getting a part-time job, to help make this happen. You'll probably need it, to get the house you want in an acceptable location/community, unless you get lucky. There are a few lower-priced (meaning: low-400K) homes in Edmonds. Otherwise you'll have to live farther out, in Duvall or Marysville, which won't have the charm you're looking for, and possibly not the good schools.
Here's a rare bargain, listed as Edmonds, but actually in Lynnwood:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Edmonds/14...6/home/2770946

Mostly, you'll be finding 3-br. homes in your price range, if that (more 2-br. than 3), so a couple of kids will have to bunk together. There are also 3-br. condos in your price range, in Edmonds. Here's a rare affordable 3-br. SFH in Edmonds:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Edmonds/79...6/home/2669013

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-02-2017 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Thank you all for your help. I realize what we are looking for is a tall order, which is why i reached out for help. A three bedroom may be an option depending on the house. My husband is handy so he may even be able to make a 4th bedroom if the space is available. My best description of the type of town we are looking for is maybe Friday harbor. More on the rural side, small, yet close to amenities and pretty. We are a very outdoorsy family and would definitely want to take advantage of being close to the ocean. I cant stress enough the importants of a safe neighborhood with quality schools though. I will look into the areas that you all suggested. Thank you!

Old 08-02-2017, 03:38 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Friday Harbor requires a ferry ride, is very expensive if driving, and is a long way from Seattle/Bellevue. Hard to provide advice on where to live without narrowing down where your husband will be working. Other than work-location, is there a reason you're not willing to look south of Seattle/Bellevue, where there are houses available with good schools within your price?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz235 View Post
Thank you all for your help. I realize what we are looking for is a tall order, which is why i reached out for help. A three bedroom may be an option depending on the house. My husband is handy so he may even be able to make a 4th bedroom if the space is available. My best description of the type of town we are looking for is maybe Friday harbor. More on the rural side, small, yet close to amenities and pretty. We are a very outdoorsy family and would definitely want to take advantage of being close to the ocean. I cant stress enough the importants of a safe neighborhood with quality schools though. I will look into the areas that you all suggested. Thank you!
OP, if you live too far out, the commute will be a nightmare. Even relatively close-in, it will be, unless your hubs can take transit. However, if you insist in small, rural-ish, you could look at the town of Snohomish. It's quaint, under 10,000 population, and closer than Marysville (easier commute). I know nothing about the schools. IMO, Edmonds is probably your best bet for good schools, but you want something less urban (though it's on the water, like you also wanted).

Snohomish has a lake, and anything north of Seattle will be within an easy drive of Puget Sound. At least there are plenty of 3-br. places out there in your price range. And some 3-br's have a family room, others have a "bonus room", or office, so you may be able to arrange an extra b-room in there.

This construction job, does it serve both Seattle and Bellevue? So on any given day, your husband could be commuting to sites in either area, is that the situation?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:03 PM

Oh yes, you are definitely correct about Friday Harbor. I was just trying to describe that charming country feel that I envision. My husbands work requires traveling from job to job which is why we can't pin point a location, only a general area. There may even be times when he will only be able to come home on weekends because of location. The reason for not looking inside seattle or Bellevue is because the city and traffic is just too big for our liking. My husband is fine working in it, but wants to come home to a quieter more relaxed place to live. I want to be able to walk the kids to school (they are still young) and run errands without a lot of stressful daily traffic. Edmonds looks pretty!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz235 View Post
Oh yes, you are definitely correct about Friday Harbor. I was just trying to describe that charming country feel that I envision. My husbands work requires traveling from job to job which is why we can't pin point a location, only a general area. There may even be times when he will only be able to come home on weekends because of location. The reason for not looking inside seattle or Bellevue is because the city and traffic is just too big for our liking. My husband is fine working in it, but wants to come home to a quieter more relaxed place to live. I want to be able to walk the kids to school (they are still young) and run errands without a lot of stressful daily traffic. Edmonds looks pretty!
Edmonds will not be cheap. If there was a town on the water that had great schools and short drive to Seattle with all the amenities, it would no longer be small and quaint. Perhaps consider Gig Harbor or down around the other side of Puget Sound? Everyone seems to want the idyllic Murder She Wrote town for $300-$400K (but also great schools!). Maple Valley sounds like a good choice since it has a reputation for good schools but that is south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington