Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:06 PM

29 posts, read 28,127 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. My wife and I, along with our 2 boys and 1 small dog are thinking of moving to western washington, specifically either Olympia Area or Everett area. The hospital I work at in SoCal has affiliated hospitals with either of those two cities for me to transfer to, looking for less than a 45 minute commute with a shift start time of 0700, so any information would be appreciated! She is ready for greener pastures, and a more relaxed and cheaper life than SoCal. I have read quite a few of the posts pertaining to those area but would like some more recent data. Currently living is one of the more expensive areas of Orange County, so to put it in perspective rent for a 4 bedroom house is 3500, utilities are around 500 for everything. We're not huge outdoors kinda people but we are willing to learn. Currently we like good resturaunts (family and big chain), amusement parks, good people and BBQ. I am very much into cars and modding as well are car clubs and driving/cruising and car shows. I always want to get into wood working, metal fabrications, and diy stuff as I'm very much mechanically inclined. My wife loves to travel and wants to get into the outdoors. So what do y'all think, can we move to the area and be happy? What can we expect daily living to be like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 04:17 PM

638 posts, read 529,536 times
We have a lot of car enthusiasts and classic car shows (there are some big shows down closer to Olympia and I think there is also one in Marysville every summer) so you won't miss that. grilling culture during the summer is pretty intense--provided you want to learn to grill salmon! BBQ is less of a "thing" in terms of the sauce but we have people from all over here so I am sure you will find people to enjoy really good BBQ with you.

It is getting warmer but learning to dress for wet weather is a must for learning to survive winter.

Regarding work, that's hard: are you a nurse? Dr? PA? You may need to take what's available and then look for a place.

Otherwise you'll need to ask more specific questions.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
We have a lot of car enthusiasts and classic car shows (there are some big shows down closer to Olympia and I think there is also one in Marysville every summer) so you won't miss that. grilling culture during the summer is pretty intense--provided you want to learn to grill salmon! BBQ is less of a "thing" in terms of the sauce but we have people from all over here so I am sure you will find people to enjoy really good BBQ with you.

It is getting warmer but learning to dress for wet weather is a must for learning to survive winter.

Regarding work, that's hard: are you a nurse? Dr? PA? You may need to take what's available and then look for a place.

Otherwise you'll need to ask more specific questions.
I'm preferential to euro cars, but I love all things auto to build and mod with. We like the event of BBQ (having people over and hanging out etc), and as far as work we wouldn't be moving until either of the hospitals have a spot for me to transfer into. I am a critical care RN, so anyone with any idea on the hourly ranges for a 8 year experience primarily in icu stepdown and tele?
I don't have specific questions because I literally don't k ow what else to ask other than others feelings on the areas and see what people say.

Thank you for the help in getting an idea of what to expect!

Old 09-28-2017, 06:59 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Olympia is a great place for all those things! Anywhere in Thurston County might work, depending on whether you want a close-to-town subdivision or a little bit of land out a bit.

Average prices for homes in the county, including Oly are under $300K right now still... with those in town and larger homes being a little more than that, and cheaper cost of living in the country, evening it out.

Let me know what interests you, I'd love to help narrow it down if you choose this area.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Olympia is a great place for all those things! Anywhere in Thurston County might work, depending on whether you want a close-to-town subdivision or a little bit of land out a bit.

Average prices for homes in the county, including Oly are under $300K right now still... with those in town and larger homes being a little more than that, and cheaper cost of living in the country, evening it out.

Let me know what interests you, I'd love to help narrow it down if you choose this area.
Is there any sort of themeparks? We don't mind driving a bit to goto one. How's the shopping and restaurants? She wants to have neighbors for the kids to play with while I want a bit of land, so a nice compromise would be awesome

Last edited by twistedx; 09-28-2017 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Details

Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
We don't have theme parks with rides year around anywhere nearby that I can think of, only the small ones at the fair in the fall and traveling carnivals... But there is a cool indoor water park at the Great Wolf Lodge in Rochester, a few miles south of Olympia.

Shopping, we have all the usual stores, plus Outlet malls in Centralia.... Restaurants, all the usual chains plus a few local ones. We're much more casual than a lot of other places. We don't have hoity toity dining. Even our really nice restaurants, you don't really have to dress up. Flannel is fine.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:57 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedx View Post
Is there any sort of themeparks?
There are so many natural, beautiful and amazing locations in the Pacific Northwest that a theme park isn't needed, and probably isn't wanted. Mountains, volcanoes, rivers, Pacific Ocean and beaches, forests, so many trails and hikes you'd be hard pressed to walk them all in a single lifetime. Along with all of the amazing islands and inlets along the coast. Plus Canada is a very short flight, or easy half-day drive.

Some of the best biking, skiing, rock and mountain climbing, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting anywhere in the U.S. And lots and lots of people are out in the PNW wilderness year round, even in the snowstorms and blizzards -- skiers and boarders are out in the tens of thousands at the resorts when the slopes get a powder dump. Drive in, hotel room or AirBnB, and on the slopes for days. The two downsides are lots of traffic, as well as reckless amateurs getting lost when they are caught out, unprepared.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We don't have theme parks with rides year around anywhere nearby that I can think of, only the small ones at the fair in the fall and traveling carnivals... But there is a cool indoor water park at the Great Wolf Lodge in Rochester, a few miles south of Olympia.

Shopping, we have all the usual stores, plus Outlet malls in Centralia.... Restaurants, all the usual chains plus a few local ones. We're much more casual than a lot of other places. We don't have hoity toity dining. Even our really nice restaurants, you don't really have to dress up. Flannel is fine.
It'll be a new experience for us, we've always lived in areas with amusement parks and such but we are ready for a new lifestyle. Not typically outdoorsy, but we want to change that and hoping that the cheap COL and similar pay range will allow us more time and freedom to learn all the outdoor stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
There are so many natural, beautiful and amazing locations in the Pacific Northwest that a theme park isn't needed, and probably isn't wanted. Mountains, volcanoes, rivers, Pacific Ocean and beaches, forests, so many trails and hikes you'd be hard pressed to walk them all in a single lifetime. Along with all of the amazing islands and inlets along the coast. Plus Canada is a very short flight, or easy half-day drive.

Some of the best biking, skiing, rock and mountain climbing, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting anywhere in the U.S. And lots and lots of people are out in the PNW wilderness year round, even in the snowstorms and blizzards -- skiers and boarders are out in the tens of thousands at the resorts when the slopes get a powder dump. Drive in, hotel room or AirBnB, and on the slopes for days. The two downsides are lots of traffic, as well as reckless amateurs getting lost when they are caught out, unprepared.
What all is up in that part of Canada? We love snow and winter stuff just not driving in the snow! At least I don't because of other people, we lived in CO for awhile and I grew up on the east coast so were not new to snow driving.

Anyone a nurse who can help me get a realistic idea of the pay ranges for the olympia/everett area hospitals?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:34 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedx View Post
Anyone a nurse who can help me get a realistic idea of the pay ranges for the olympia/everett area hospitals?

You should try to get in touch with AADAD, a pretty frequent poster. He's an RN, I don't know his specialty, but he moved to Whidby Island from San Diego (my hometown, too).

Regarding Canada, I love the accessibility to it, year-round. For myself, I like Vancouver Island. The city of Vancouver is great if you're looking for urban areas...I prefer it over Seattle, actually. And, Whistler is now within driving distance for me, what's not to love about that?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You should try to get in touch with AADAD, a pretty frequent poster. He's an RN, I don't know his specialty, but he moved to Whidby Island from San Diego (my hometown, too).

Regarding Canada, I love the accessibility to it, year-round. For myself, I like Vancouver Island. The city of Vancouver is great if you're looking for urban areas...I prefer it over Seattle, actually. And, Whistler is now within driving distance for me, what's not to love about that?
I'll send him a message, thank you! What is there to do in the Vancouver BC area then? Never been there at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington