Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06e253267b4da

WA has been among the leaders in issuing DL to illegals, so.... flying and clearing TSA is not gonna get easier with a WA DL. I would have thought the expense and scrutiny of my WA Enhanced DL would have qualified, but no.

Global Entry, Nexus, or Sentri should suffice, but there was a LONG wait (several months) for my GLOBAL ENTRY, so I ended up flying out of state to get a timely interview.

Sentri and Nexus have very few interview locations, so book your appointment early. (you have to wait a few weeks AFTER the interview to get your credentials.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:23 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Have until Oct 2020, no real rush.
https://licensingexpress.wordpress.c...-requirements/

Old 01-27-2018, 02:14 PM

672 posts, read 442,918 times
A Passport seems to work really well.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:02 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
I also recommend just getting the enhanced DL as not that much more money, good for domestic airplane flying, and I think also good for Canada (and Mexico) if forget passport (though needs confirmation)

Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM

489 posts, read 964,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
A Passport seems to work really well.
Works for me too. A simple and painless process for me, but the most serious crime I ever committed was speeding in my automobile.
Filled out the app online then printed the documents, stopped by Walgreens for a passport photo, went to my local city hall to sign the document and pay the fee. A couple weeks later, the passport showed up in the mail.
The only way I see it being easier is if I could have got the picture at the same place I signed and paid.

-Mike

Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I only have a very thick passport book that is not too handy for 100+ annual USA flights (compared to a DL / single card ID thickness)

Nor do I need my passport for frequent trips to Canada or Mexico (or for secure Port Clearance).

Your tolerance to pack around your 'passport' for frequent travel must be higher than mine. I seldom carry my passport daily while out in the foreign communities or between EU countries overseas, (many countries issue legitimate 'ID' cards ) I instead carry copies of Passport for security reasons, Not keen on increasing my risks of misplacing / losing / being robbed of the passport. That will curtail your trip pretty fast.

Certainly not posted as a 'rule', but very few US travelers use passports for inter-USA flights. but yes it is a possible solution. (As would be a 'compliant' DL / ID ) $280 for my last 5yr 'limited' WA DOL renewal, so my Passport (10 years for a mere $110) is MUCH cheaper cost / yr ID. (but very impractical (for me)).

Your choice may of course be different, But... WA is heading the wrong direction if they desired their DL to be considered legitimate ID. But seems correct thing to do since over 40% of WA drivers are not insured and certainly many drivers don't bother with actually getting a DL. I know several of my employees and neighbors don't have current WA DL. That is no deterrent for driving daily.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,353 times
Can't we just replace the government down in Olympia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington