Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:51 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times

Advertisements

50-70 and overcast is my ideal sort of weather. Possible to walk on the beach and hike in the mountains on the same day. No income tax. Low property tax. Sales tax free shopping 20mins away. Little crime to speak of compared to everywhere else I've lived.

Last edited by notnamed; 11-09-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
MarciaMarshaMarcia - did you ever fear for your life while in So-Cal? I wouldn't like living in So-Cal. Anywhere. Washington beats California hands down for quality of living. But don't tell Burton Cummings of The Guess Who. He lives on a "hill" in Los Angeles. Sherman Oaks. He likes LA for the beautiful drive on 101, his gorgeous mansion on a "hill" in Sherman Oaks, and some music store downtown that I think he spends about 50% of his time in when he's in LA.

So I'm not going to put down an area just because I don't know it very well. I've been to LA once. I was on vacation, 14 years old, with my cousin from Sanger. He was taking oranges down to LA. It was dark out when we got to LA, all the time we were there, and dark when we left. All I remember was someone dumping a crate of my cousin's oranges all over the floor and hearing and seeing my cousin laugh a great belly laugh when he discovered the oranges rolling fast along the floor.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:33 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
MarciaMarshaMarcia - did you ever fear for your life while in So-Cal? I wouldn't like living in So-Cal. Anywhere. Washington beats California hands down for quality of living. But don't tell Burton Cummings of The Guess Who. He lives on a "hill" in Los Angeles. Sherman Oaks. He likes LA for the beautiful drive on 101, his gorgeous mansion on a "hill" in Sherman Oaks, and some music store downtown that I think he spends about 50% of his time in when he's in LA.

So I'm not going to put down an area just because I don't know it very well. I've been to LA once. I was on vacation, 14 years old, with my cousin from Sanger. He was taking oranges down to LA. It was dark out when we got to LA, all the time we were there, and dark when we left. All I remember was someone dumping a crate of my cousin's oranges all over the floor and hearing and seeing my cousin laugh a great belly laugh when he discovered the oranges rolling fast along the floor.

Yeah, & Tom Petty lived in Malibu & loved it, George Thorogood, too, but most of us peasants didn’t live like that, lol!

Nah, never feared for my life...was nearly raped, but that could happen anywhere. I understood the culture there, & how to deal with it.

TBH, I have had a much more difficult time dealing with the crazy drivers in rural Washington, than driving the freeways of SoCal...there are some loony people here...

Also, I am not used to the veiled passive-aggressive attitude here...I am accustomed to people being direct, in-your-face, & it’s over.

It’s also very hard to make friends here, but I realize part of that is just small-town dynamic. I grew up in a small town in SoCal (it’s not all urban!); it was the same way there.

But, really, Elko, there was a lot of natural beauty in ALL of California...it just got stomped on & destroyed. Too many people moved there...same complaint that people here in Washington have.

That’s my take. Hopefully, I don’t get flamed. My parents moved from Oregon to California for J-O-B-S, so that makes me a PNWer by default.

P.S., I love your hometown of Edmonds...you were lucky to have grown up there! But, yeah, to live there now, you need $$$$$$.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 11-09-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
The incredible natural beauty, clean air and great food of the Pacific Northwest are the obvious choices. If I had to pick one thing though, it's the open mindedness. Straight, gay, black, white, Asian? Doesn't really matter out here. People are treated as people.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:06 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
The outdoors, the mild weather compared to Eastern Washington and the east coast, the greenery compared to the desert east of the Cascades.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
..... People are treated as people.
Where else in the USA have you lived?

I find PNW congenial to each other, but a great fear is to still be living in PNW If stricken with a debilitating / home bound disease. Compared to the many states where you would have a steady stream of food and help.... don’t count on it in WA. When you get to smelling... the neighbors may call the cops, but don’t expect a hot dish meal, everyday, and help with the kids and chores, especially if ill for a few yrs. (does still happen in rural PNW ag areas)

I have great neighbors, but can go yrs without sharing a meal together. Tho we make it a point to frequent invite and host weekly FREE GTG (homemade ice cream every Sunday during summer. Soup next to the wood stove during winter.). Smoked Salmon Chowder this week! You ought drop by!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Where else in the USA have you lived?

I find PNW congenial to each other, but a great fear is to still be living in PNW If stricken with a debilitating / home bound disease. Compared to the many states where you would have a steady stream of food and help.... don’t count on it in WA. When you get to smelling... the neighbors may call the cops, but don’t expect a hot dish meal, everyday, and help with the kids and chores, especially if ill for a few yrs. (does still happen in rural PNW ag areas)

I have great neighbors, but can go yrs without sharing a meal together. Tho we make it a point to frequent invite and host weekly FREE GTG (homemade ice cream every Sunday during summer. Soup next to the wood stove during winter.). Smoked Salmon Chowder this week! You ought drop by!

Well, that was an accurate summation, although haven't consistently experienced that congeniality, shallow & insincere as it is.

So, I’m down for salmon chowder...what’s your address?

Old 11-12-2017, 03:59 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
The weather, actually - neither too hot nor too cold. And an ample amount of rain, to keep everything lush and green.

What isn't rational is to expect what you don't want, and want what you can't expect.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 PM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
The coffee from the countless small batch roasters.
Oh, and bacon crack cookies from Cupcake Royale.

-Mike

Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Oh, and bacon crack cookies from Cupcake Royale.

-Mike
That sounds delicious! Being that you are in Lacey I was hoping that place would be somewhat in the area and am now disappointed I would have to go up to Seattle to try that lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington