Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Same can be said about going further west from the I-5 corridor toward the Olympic Peninsula and Clallam county.
This is True. I Like the Olympic Peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
But back to this idea of a state income tax. I'm a moderate democrat, but please, Western Washington, adding an income tax on top of an already high state sales tax is overkill. Massive taxes don't solve anything. Keep WA free from an income tax! Will damage economy bigtime.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:26 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
We have high property taxes along with some of the highest sales and gas taxes in the country. Housing "values" have gone through the roof simply because supply isn't meeting demand. For example, in 2017 Whatcom county gained nearly 6000 more people yet only built some 300 "units" of housing in the same time period.
My grandparents had a house built and moved into it in 1994 after the airport expanded and required them to be bought out. They spend about $170k, furnishings and all, on the new place. This year it was assessed at over $500,000 and now my grandmother(grandpa passed away of cancer) is paying nearly $500/month in property taxes on a place she owns. These high valuations aren't due to the wonderful job opportunities in Bellingham, as only the top ~13% of the wage earners can afford the average list price of a home here. Out of state implants and what they are willing to pay, combined with a slow and antigrowth development policies our driving our housing costs through the roof. The "implants" state that "it's so beautiful here and there is so much to do", but that is all for nothing if you can only look at it from window due to being house poor, or can't afford housing at all.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
But back to this idea of a state income tax. I'm a moderate democrat, but please, Western Washington, adding an income tax on top of an already high state sales tax is overkill. Massive taxes don't solve anything. Keep WA free from an income tax! Will damage economy bigtime.
High Sales tax is NOTHING to those of us destitute WA retirees with no income = no spending.(for last 13 yrs)

$43 / day in Property taxes (on a place I built for under $100k) seems adequate spending and over 10x what I spend on food...

(I 'rebuy' my home every 7 yrs from the tax man) He doesn't relent.

Fortunately I brew my own fuel (Yes I pay taxes on that, but at least I do not have to buy the fuel!)

50mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs required... >40,000 gal fuel saved for others to burn!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I hear you, Stealth. I am somewhat in the same situation. I am retired, doing some side-hustle, but not enough to be taxed. I do have some savings/investments and want to be sure that I am not taxed on those by the wonderful State of Washington. So far, so good. The point is that WA in general is already a high-taxed State due to the sales tax, and adding an income tax would be redundant at the least, and detrimental to the economy at the worst.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:09 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
I hear you, Stealth. I am somewhat in the same situation. I am retired, doing some side-hustle, but not enough to be taxed. I do have some savings/investments and want to be sure that I am not taxed on those by the wonderful State of Washington. So far, so good. The point is that WA in general is already a high-taxed State due to the sales tax, and adding an income tax would be redundant at the least, and detrimental to the economy at the worst.

Actually, according to this web list (which is probably not exactly an oracle, but I think the general drift is right) WA is #33 in standing, with NY being #1 (believable)

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

That said, the overall tax bite on a given individual depends on habits, and where exactly they live in a particular state.

Yeah, a pox on any and all that propose any state income tax.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
I don't think we'll ever get an income tax, no one really wants it. That said, it doesn't hurt to use the possibility as a deterrent to newcomers.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:06 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
I think if the state did add an income tax, the "exit" and resulting drop in housing and sales tax revenue from result in a big net drop for total collected taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington