Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 42,436 times

Advertisements

I am going to graduate college next May and have started thinking about where I want to move after I do graduate. I am from southern Oklahoma and I keep coming back to moving to Washington. I would really like to know what it's like to live there before I move though. Can anyone help give me an idea of what it's like?
I would prefer someone who actually lives there to tell me what it's like all of the time.
Also, what are some good areas to move to for LGBTQ culture?

If anyone has moved to Washington from Oklahoma that could give me a direct comparision that would also be very helpful! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 PM

231 posts, read 587,719 times
Ok, Ill bite--You should move to Washington if you love the outdoors, dont mind rain and have a good job lined up (COL is high). You shouldnt move to WA if you cant handle not seeing the sun for 5 months a year (Nov-March), dont like really bad traffic and finally if you dont have a good paying job lined up.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,649,818 times
Not all of Washingon is dry. Even on the wet side, some places get 16 inches/year.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I have friends that moved from your part of the country who have told me some of what it's like there. Washington is very much like 2 separate states.

West of the Cascade mountains is very liberal politically, tolerant and accepting of all. There is a lot of natural beauty from the woods, rivers, lakes, Puget Sound and the ocean. All of the green is due to the rain, which ranges from 40 to 130" a year.

East of the Mountains is more like Oklahoma in both being more conservative but also more hot and dry. Rainfall is just 7-20" a year, with a lot of plains, and even desert areas.

Except for a few small towns in the middle of nowhere, all of WA has a higher cost of living. West of the mountains is higher than east, and the Puget Sound area (Seattle) is among the highest priced in the county for home buying and rent.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:13 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,604 times
For the LGBTQ culture, I would look at either Seattle or Olympia. Or head to Portland, OR.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,412 times
Seattle

Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 AM

53 posts, read 97,307 times
I would add that you should definitely visit before deciding to move here. And not in July or August (during our short and very glorious summer). My only knowledge is about living in Seattle, but I am a very strong believer that people pretty much either love Seattle or hate it. I know it's oversimplifying, but I've yet to meet someone who was kind of luke warm and ended up loving it here. I think it's got a combination of qualities that either click with a person, or don't. Visit and then see if you "click."

And, in Seattle, we have pretty much every kind of LGBTQ scene there is to have. Even our mayor is gay.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
West of the Cascade mountains is very liberal politically, tolerant and accepting of all.
This part was meant sarcastically, right?

Seattle is one of the most intolerant places in this state.

"Tolerance" means accepting of all. Not accepting of liberal ideals and nothing else.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 PM

462 posts, read 742,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
This part was meant sarcastically, right?

Seattle is one of the most intolerant places in this state.

"Tolerance" means accepting of all. Not accepting of liberal ideals and nothing else.
I have to agree here, especially in Seattle proper if you do not kiss Obummer's ass, and have your own independent views, and not simply just a typical liberal sheep, than you will be shunned here. Which is odd considering this is one of the most supposedly "educated" areas of the country, u would think people here could figure out that the people get screwed by both parties. Nope.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,872 times
Yes, I agree, Seattle is beautiful, and a great city, but If you are not in a high powered white collar career (yuppie/techie to the extreme), or ultra ultra liberal granola type (tats, piercings, blue hair, goth, new age beliefs, and etc...), it is near impossible at least for single men, to date, and to make many friends. Nice city, but easily the most exclusive minded, solipsistic, and socially cold places I have ever lived, in my opinion. So if one falls into one the of the above two, then Seattle is likely paradise to them. I actually find lovely Seattle to simply be one of the most smug cities in the USA, imo, socially speaking....to put it bluntly,....lol....just my opinion and views. And the traffic? God help Seattle, with that one, it is mind numbing, imo...

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-09-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington