Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm curious to hear from some locals how much you do outdoor activities in the winter (shopping not included )? I love the outdoors especially hiking, exploring nature, biking, paddleboarding, etc... We've enjoyed some amazing natural beauty on our trips to WA in places like Mt Rainier NP, the Sound, the Gorge, etc... Although we usually go during the glorious time of the year.

There's much talk about gray days and endless rain on the forum and elsewhere. So my question is, do locals who enjoy the outdoors still find ways to get out into it even with colder temps and rain? If so, doing what?

The reason I ask is that while living in CO, I was constantly trying to go out hiking even in the snow and freezing cold. It always surprised me how many locals simply hunker down and wait out the long winter - a form of hibernation. But the gyms are full. Is WA that way in many areas during the Winter also? Does it depend on the region? Maybe 'city' folks like to remain urban and therefore prefer gyms over other outdoor activities? I guess its hard for me to imagine with so much natural beauty all around even if colder during the winter months.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-11-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
I just walk. Rain is no barrier at all. Only caution is, if you work 8 to 5, you need to walk in a safe place, like on sidewalks or in a park this time of year. As it's pretty much dark from 5 pm to 7 am.

My sister and BIL like to snowshoe.

And skiing, both cross-country and downhill, is an option also.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
We walk, hike, bike & snowshoe. It’s been a little challenging for me because I’ve had a spate of orthopedic injuries, but I’m no doubt a lot older than you. I’m from SoCal, so the trails can be more rocky & slippery than what you get south of here, but, again, I am not as nimble as I once was. I do like hiking & not sweating all the time. For myself, I’m not a gym person...spent my free time outdoors in SoCal.

It is true that the short winter days can hinder you, but in summer you can be out until 10 at night & later & it isn’t dark yet. Just watch for bears, cougars & crazy mountain goats...we’ve seen them all, close up & personal. But, no rattlesnakes, at least in Western WA.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
We walk, hike, bike & snowshoe. It’s been a little challenging for me because I’ve had a spate of orthopedic injuries, but I’m no doubt a lot older than you. I’m from SoCal, so the trails can be more rocky & slippery than what you get south of here, but, again, I am not as nimble as I once was. I do like hiking & not sweating all the time. For myself, I’m not a gym person...spent my free time outdoors in SoCal.

It is true that the short winter days can hinder you, but in summer you can be out until 10 at night & later & it isn’t dark yet. Just watch for bears, cougars & crazy mountain goats...we’ve seen them all, close up & personal. But, no rattlesnakes, at least in Western WA.
Yeah, those rocks can be slippery especially near the waterfalls. We love hiking in the clouds and rain as long as its not a total drenching rain. Although we've done that as well at times. It actually cools you off while hiking and feels great most of the time. During our visits to the PNW when raining its was mostly more of a moderate to mild rain. I don't normally post pics of the family. But here's a shot from a while back when our kids were much smaller during a spring trip to the Gorge. My son is actually taller than I am now and can hike further too.

Derek

Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
^^^Very nice pic! Where I live, for the most part, the rain may be steady & plentiful, but usually not torrential, although I do know that some areas of Washington get heavier rain & wind than we do...Bellingham comes to mind as an example, but I was only visiting, so maybe those times were an exception.

I do know that rainfall here as a rule (not during major winter storms obviously) is gentler than SoCal...there, the winter rains (when it still rained there), felt like someone was throwing bucketsful of water in your face, it would last one day, two days tops, then be followed by a Santa Ana & temps in the 90’s!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hi,

I'm curious to hear from some locals how much you do outdoor activities in the winter (shopping not included )? I love the outdoors especially hiking, exploring nature, biking, paddleboarding, etc... We've enjoyed some amazing natural beauty on our trips to WA in places like Mt Rainier NP, the Sound, the Gorge, etc... Although we usually go during the glorious time of the year.

There's much talk about gray days and endless rain on the forum and elsewhere. So my question is, do locals who enjoy the outdoors still find ways to get out into it even with colder temps and rain? If so, doing what?

The reason I ask is that while living in CO, I was constantly trying to go out hiking even in the snow and freezing cold. It always surprised me how many locals simply hunker down and wait out the long winter - a form of hibernation. But the gyms are full. Is WA that way in many areas during the Winter also? Does it depend on the region? Maybe 'city' folks like to remain urban and therefore prefer gyms over other outdoor activities? I guess its hard for me to imagine with so much natural beauty all around even if colder during the winter months.

Derek
I lived in we(s)tern WA for a few years, CO for more than 25. In any place, there are some hardcores who recreate outdoors all year ‘round, and others who do not. My husband and I didn’t like biking in the WA wetness but we continued sea kayaking and walking/hiking in all seasons. I added gym workouts in winter but not the rest of the year. You might be noticing more people winter-gymming; that doesn’t mean they forego outdoor activities.

In CO, we don’t bike in winter anymore (though I used to go, right down into the single digits of temperature), and kayaking can’t happen when water turns to ice. Other than not hiking in the high peaks, we still hike, all year ‘round. Shoveling snow is good exercise, too. BTW, we are not ski enthusiasts—they love snow and winter!

I am not convinced that city people shun outdoor play more than rural people do. They just have more facilities for indoor play. Indoor climbing walls, swimming pools, tracks, ball courts, and so on abound in large metro areas, not so much in rural ones.

One thing I did think was odd about where we lived in western WA: locals liked to almost brag about the grayness and drizzle/rain, but the ratio of hardcores was no higher than in CO, in fact I would say lower. But university towns probably get more hardcore (and young) recreationists.

Last edited by pikabike; 01-12-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
Hi Derek-

For my wife and I, our outdoor activities are not curtailed much by winter here. We are outdoors most days year round. But we're outdoors people, sounds like you are too.

The difference tends to be what we're wearing summer vs. winter. For example, during the winter months when hiking we're wearing layers of Gore-Tex clothing. In the summer we're not. (Although I tend to wear Gore-Tex boots year round). Same when we're riding our mountain bikes. Rain gear during the fall, winter and spring months, not during our summer month or two. In our sea kayaks during the winter we wear heavier drysuits, etc.

I think the reason people in Colorado hunker down is that winter weather there can consist of lots of sub-zero temps and snow up to your ears. That's not winter weather in western WA. Here, it's typically low to mid 40's most days (although the weatherman on the news this AM said maybe 50 today). We get the occasional skiff of snow here and there that usually melts within a day or three. I think what make it "cold" here (relative term) during the winter is not so much the absolute temperature, rather the pervasive dampness that we have for much of the year. CO is a high desert climate (dry, arid). Western WA is obviously wetter than desert areas and that humidity difference can make it feel colder (or warmer during the summer) than the reading on the thermometer says.

For me, the biggest problem with engaging in outdoor winter activities is simply ambition or motivation. As you've read, typical winter weather for western WA is a lot of what my wife and I call "the 3-D's" (Dark, Dreary, Drizzle). So I get up and think to myself: I think I'll go ____ today. (fill in your preferred outdoor activity). I glance out the window and it looks dismally gray and dreary which dampens my enthusiam for said activity. At that point it's a mind game and I have to tell myself that I'm going anyway. What I've noticed over and over again is that we end up having a great time doing whatever despite the weather and are glad we went.

Another nice thing about winter outdoor activities here is that not everyone feels like we do so we tend to have the trails more to ourselves during the winter months. We also tend to get little breaks in the weather here where the rain/drizzle stops during the day or, if we're lucky, the sun peeks out for a bit. So typically you're not going to get poured on non-stop all day long when out and about.

Disclaimer: My wife and I are locals. Grew up in the Seattle area and now live on the Oly Peninsula. So maybe we don't know any better when it comes to weather!

Bottom line is IMO, if you're not willing to work or play in the rain, western WA may not be the best fit for you.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Outside every hour of daylight, winter or summer...

Rancher while in CO for 28 yrs
Farmer in PNW (we_tside) 30+ yrs

Previously tanned and wind burned from the cold winters.
Currently moldy and musty and REALLY muddy. (I hate mud) Off to CO tomorrow on those $40 fares!!! Will enjoy the 'sun' and wind and cold. (and stars in WINTER!!!)

Rode my bicycle to work everyday but 3 the last yr in CO.
Rode my bicycle to work 3 days in 30 yrs in PNW. (very narrow, steep / dark roads. 3 good friends killed while biking by drivers in PNW. Others maimed.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Just watch for bears, cougars & crazy mountain goats...we’ve seen them all, close up & personal. But, no rattlesnakes, at least in Western WA.

MarciaMarshaMarcia - you've seen bears and cougars over on the Olympic Peninsula? I grew up in western Washington and worked there for decades and hiked quite a bit in western Washington and some on the Olympic Peninsula and I have never seen a bear or cougar in the wild. Would love to.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Outside every hour of daylight, winter or summer...

Rancher while in CO for 28 yrs
Farmer in PNW (we_tside) 30+ yrs

Previously tanned and wind burned from the cold winters.
Currently moldy and musty and REALLY muddy. (I hate mud) Off to CO tomorrow on those $40 fares!!! Will enjoy the 'sun' and wind and cold. (and stars in WINTER!!!)

Rode my bicycle to work everyday but 3 the last yr in CO.
Rode my bicycle to work 3 days in 30 yrs in PNW. (very narrow, steep / dark roads. 3 good friends killed while biking by drivers in PNW. Others maimed.
Both places definitely have their charms. I love those Rocky Mountains. Although I've gotten stuck in the snow while driving in them during the Winter several times its still beautiful and COLD up there.

Question for the group regarding stars in the Winter. Can you drive up a mountain above the clouds/fog at times and see the stars? How about driving east to Tri-Cities, Spokane, Bend, etc..? I realize not everyone will want to do this. But for some it may be worth the journey.

While visiting WA on our last trip I saw some of the most glorious star filled nights I have ever seen. It was on our last night of the trip and it was socked in with gray. On top of all of that it was during a big meteor shower! I decided to drive up Mt. Rainier as far as I could go in hopes of catching the some stars. My son and I waited for ~ 3 hours until midnight when all of a sudden we saw a faint break in the clouds. Then it progressively got larger until the entire sky open up and the angels sang. It was glorious! We drove up to the Sunrise side as far as the road went and shot until 3:30 AM. My 13 y/o son didn't want to leave even then.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington