Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

I was looking at crime stats lately and noticed that for property crime rates for WA were a lot worse than I had perceived them to be. I've never really heard of the state being a rough area or crime ridden, and the violent crime rates aren't too bad, but the property crime rates are up there with the worst of the US. To me, property crime would matter more than violent crime as it is much more likely to happen to the average Joe / Joanne.

Why do you think the rates are this bad? A lot of the other bad crime areas have struggling economies while Washington's is booming. Is the state or cities addressing this?

Here's the 2 sources I was looking at:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-4

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2018 at 12:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Like all states, some cities have more crime than others. In WA some cities skew the data, such as Seattle and Tacoma on the west, Yakima and Moses Lake on the east. These all have high propert crime, as expected with drug and homeless problems. Seattle police place a very low priority on property crime. Many other cities like here in Sammamish have far lower than average crime, both violent and property. It’s not a statewide problem, but the worst cities are bad enough to bring the composite ratings down.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
We've got more stuff to steal than poorer areas. We do have lower violent crime rates. It's not that we're not arresting or prosecuting anyone - our jails and prisons are full.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
IMO it's crimes of opportunity more than anything.

WA has more of a "leave your car doors unlocked" or "dump your bike on the front lawn" culture.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Seattle, Tacoma, Yakima, and Spokane are a huge chuck of the states population though. I would expect there to be good areas and bad areas, but it looks like there's a lot more bad than good, population wise.

There is more to steal, but there shouldn't be as many people in economic distress either. Generally richer places have less crime, unless there's a lot of inequality. Also, many western cities and NYC have a lot of homeless, but the property crime rates aren't at this level.

Is it just that it's not something they care about, both the police and the populace? That seems strange.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Our poor aren't usually poor because of lack of opportunity... They're poor because of a drug problem. That's a different animal than just widespread poverty.

Of course there's good areas and bad areas... but thieves have cars now too, they're not limited to only certain areas. I'd be inclined to think this is not so much a local Washington problem, as a wider societal one.

Property crime is an issue everyone should worry about, but it's not actually all that difficult to protect against. Minor security measures and personal safety habits go a long ways... to make your house less attractive than others.

We look out for ourselves and our friends and neighbors... and haven't had a problem yet... ~knock on wood~

I do wish there was better punishment of thieves, I wish property crimes weren't considered less serious than other crimes against people. IMHO, theft is a major invasion and safety threat, and I think breaking into the home of a stranger should carry life-changing penalties.

I served on a jury a few years ago, for a habitual thief, and we put him away, on a three-strikes and you're out deal. Good. He's done being a threat to us. I think too many times, they plead out, and that's too bad. If we can catch them, we need to put them away. We need at least to stop dealing with the same offenders, over and over again.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
A lot of the property crime around here are smash-and-grab car prowls or bike thefts. Break-ins do occur, but are in the minority.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
Washington is very expensive, and good jobs are very competitive, so there's plenty of upset, poor people.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Our poor aren't usually poor because of lack of opportunity... They're poor because of a drug problem. That's a different animal than just widespread poverty.

Of course there's good areas and bad areas... but thieves have cars now too, they're not limited to only certain areas. I'd be inclined to think this is not so much a local Washington problem, as a wider societal one.

Property crime is an issue everyone should worry about, but it's not actually all that difficult to protect against. Minor security measures and personal safety habits go a long ways... to make your house less attractive than others.
But Washington is kind of outlier compared to even the western US. One could also wager that it's almost easier to avoid violent crime than to avoid property crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
A lot of the property crime around here are smash-and-grab car prowls or bike thefts. Break-ins do occur, but are in the minority.
It's true that the sources only look at quantity and not severity, so that could be part of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Washington is very expensive, and good jobs are very competitive, so there's plenty of upset, poor people.
Did they move in or where they there and got overshadowed?

Old 09-29-2018, 08:56 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Small thefts of opportunity are drug fueled. Making pot legal does not make marijuana, meth, heroin free. Users might be free of legal prosecution, but they still must come up with the money to buy their drugs.

Meth is very closely tied to theft and burglary, and there are a lot of meth users in Washington, stealing to support their drug habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington