Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,182,920 times

Advertisements

Opioids, meth, and heroin too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,737,965 times
Not exclusive to Mount Vernon for sure. Almost every community in the PNW has this problem, and while these issues are more prevalent in smaller, rural towns, this is not endemic to just Mount Vernon.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 3,777 times
Mt. Vernon resident here. There really isn't much going on here in terms of fun. Night life is non-existent really if you are into the bar scene at all. Concerts, you are looking at older (age wise) local bands that don't play any sort of modern music.

They completed a complete renovation of the waterfront area downtown which is actually really nice. They have quite a few events here through the summer - farmer's markets, music every Wednesday or Thursday, can't remember, which, among others. There is pretty decent leadership, and they do put together some fun events throughout the year.

Tulip Festival brings a lot of tourists, but as a local it just eventually annoys the crap out of you. You can't go anywhere near downtown for about 2 months unless you want to sit in traffic for 30 minutes. There is literally one bridge to head towards Tulip land, right by downtown.

Mt. Vernon is a nice location though because between Mt. Vernon, Burlingon, Sedro Woolley, Bellingham, and Anacortes you can usually find an even you want to go to and at most you are looking at a 45 minute drive. Sedro actually has a lot more festivals and events than Mt. Vernon does.

Lastly, the restaurant scene isn't very good. A couple of decent Thai places, some good little off the path Mexican joints and trucks, a few nicer Italian places, and a smattering of pub - gastro pub type laces but honestly there is no place that keeps you coming back for more. Much better dining in Bellingham and Anacortes.

If you are kidless in your 30s and have an active social life, I think you'll be in for a bit of a culture shock coming from Seattle.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM

323 posts, read 446,058 times
Default Mt Vernon, Woolley

I'm from Sedro Woolley, and also spent some nights in Mt Vernon in the 70s, pre shopping mall days. Downtown MV had three movie theaters, and including up Riverside, four bars/restaurants with live music. Much more lively downtown than now with its brewpubs and Lincoln Theater. The Lincoln has touring acts. McIntyre Hall hosts some upscale concerts. The Conway Muse is pretty good for eclectic out-of-the-area acts.

Woolley's downtown history is similar, activity fading with the introduction of malls. Except for a flourish of live music at a couple bars downtown at the turn of the decade, it's much quieter than in the 70s. Woolley finally got a brewpub recently, Local 20 Taproom, with live music.

During the summer there are a fair amount of events and live music at places like wineries around the county.

A few photos I've taken around Mt Vernon:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...s=1&view_all=1

Old 05-04-2018, 05:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,693,995 times
Mt. Vernon has a higher crime rate due to certain reasons.
I'd say if you are a rural outdoorsy fishing camping riding horses type person and can afford and want some acreage it could be the place for you. Housing is far more affordable than Bellingvue and you're in a nice "kick off" point for going anywhere from the islands to the mountains to Seattle or Vancouver BC without really being too far from any of them.

I'd agree if you're partial to the nightlife downtown Seattle type thing it's probably not for you.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 PM

127 posts, read 106,222 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone

We are quiet, walk to the brewery, shop the farmers market, watch Netflix kind of people so I don’t think there’s any nightlife we will be missing! We’d definitely like to find some authentic Mexican food up there, and we have friends in Bellingham for our more pressing socialization needs.

I am only speculating but I see how active the city is in planning for its future and I imagine it being a sweet “surban” location in five or ten years time. Guess I’ll find out!

Old 05-05-2018, 06:38 AM

39 posts, read 39,855 times
What about flooding from the Skagit River? I'm sure Mt.V+Skagit County real-estate agents mention this possibility to clients...right?

rkcarguy:
"Mt. Vernon has a higher crime rate due to certain reasons."

Yep--check demographics.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin9 View Post
What about flooding from the Skagit River? I'm sure Mt.V+Skagit County real-estate agents mention this possibility to clients...right?

rkcarguy:
"Mt. Vernon has a higher crime rate due to certain reasons."

Yep--check demographics.
Yeah, it’s impossible to buy anywhere near the river without being well-versed in FEMA’s 100-yr flood plane, elevation certificates, and insurance quotes. I didn’t need my realtor for that but she was able to explain everything more explicitly to me.

And I’m not sure what all this insinuation about MV’s populace is supposed to be. Racist? Classist? Having a hard time telling, but whatever is going on in that regard - I’m not worried. I don’t know where the rest of you are from, but I moved here from a place called “Stab n Kill” by the locals (Savin Hill, Dorchester). Also perplexing because I feel safer in MV alone than I do in Seattle alone (I’m very physically disabled) so I’m at a loss as to what’s so frightening. We have cheap cars, we leave them unlocked, we have home security and defense...doesn’t really feel like a concern.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,671,051 times
An issue with crime in Mt. Vernon/Burlington is gang violence. Most of it seems to be centered in certain parts of town.

https://www.goskagit.com/news/gang-a...65b3dd0fb.html

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...ting/372012751

Old 05-05-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
An issue with crime in Mt. Vernon/Burlington is gang violence. Most of it seems to be centered in certain parts of town.

https://www.goskagit.com/news/gang-a...65b3dd0fb.html

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...ting/372012751
Thank you! That makes more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington