Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,589 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I plan to retire in Washington as I have family who reside in Vancouver BC. I have found two parcels of land each priced at $10,000. One is in Shelton, the other in Raymond. Both have power, water and sewer. The property in Shelton has $192.00 per annum HOA dues and the Raymond property doesn't. I like the quiet life so don't need close proximity to a large city and all that it offers. My funds are limited so can't buy in Blaine or Bellingham etc. These two towns are it. If you had this for a choice and limited funds, which would be the better area? I understand the property without the HOA dues may be a better bet but I'm willing to pay the HOA if Shelton is a better option. I did consider Spokane but they get a lot of snow. There is also cheap housing in other States, eg TX, LA, KY, but they won't allow me to get to my family quickly or easily. I would really appreciate the insight of folks who are familiar with these areas. I plan to put a small manufactured home on the property. There are a lot of nice places but the Codes and Restrictions and my limited budget hamper me. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I REALLY don't like Raymond (weather / location) and Shelton has low valuations for a reason. There are some acceptable areas but a LOT of METH crime.

I would avoid HOA if at all possible (headaches now, and FUTURE headaches).

For Vancouver BC access I would certainly look near Ferndale and Sumas. You want to be 1 hr drive to BC if at all possible. (and NOT a ferry ride! $$$). It is REALLY worth it to pony up the capital necessary to have a more ideal location to have access to services and family. I would MUCH rather have a $20k shop with apartment, than a $80k NEW mobile home. (You can get repo / NICE used MH for ~$20k) but a shop is still a better investment and more flexible. / asset to next purchaser.

My favorite 'property improvement' is to buy a rural / view property with shop with awning for RV.
RV hookups, laundry, and apartment. On a PAVED road <10 min from service (Grocery / gas / medical). I research areas and find my own deals (via county tax records on-line and in court house). If it is already listed for sale, or a realtor has found it... it is too late for a good deal.

I usually try to find distressed mobile homes on NICE properties (bulldoze the MH and get Free well, septic, road, power, outbuildings). If on west side of Mtns, (RAIN / GRAY) Buy on high ground with a CLEAR view / south facing.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,589 times
Thank you. This is going to be more difficult to accomplish than I thought.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler 95678 View Post
Thank you. This is going to be more difficult to accomplish than I thought.
Nothing that is EZ is of much value in life.

I have done 30+ properties in WA, so it is not as hard as it seems... but do take a look at this recent sad story of WA reality (very strict state on use of private land)...
//www.city-data.com/forum/52144968-post20.html

Old 06-11-2018, 12:44 AM

329 posts, read 470,558 times
We just bought a house and retired at Lake Limerick in Shelton and LOVE it.. We have two lots so pay double HOA but we have almost an area, creek in back yard, surrounded by trees and lake down the road.. The town is 8 miles and has most what we need but we do love to drive to Olympia for other shopping..

Old 06-12-2018, 11:02 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I REALLY don't like Raymond (weather / location) and Shelton has low valuations for a reason. There are some acceptable areas but a LOT of METH crime.
There's not really all that much crime in Shelton and it's a nice town (yeah, a bit run down, but not too bad) in a beautiful area. The money you save on the yearly HOA fees in Raymond will easily get spent on driving extra miles for shopping, etc. for the things you can't get in Raymond.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler 95678 View Post
Hi everyone, I plan to retire in Washington as I have family who reside in Vancouver BC. I have found two parcels of land each priced at $10,000. One is in Shelton, the other in Raymond. Both have power, water and sewer. The property in Shelton has $192.00 per annum HOA dues and the Raymond property doesn't. I like the quiet life so don't need close proximity to a large city and all that it offers. My funds are limited so can't buy in Blaine or Bellingham etc. These two towns are it. If you had this for a choice and limited funds, which would be the better area? I understand the property without the HOA dues may be a better bet but I'm willing to pay the HOA if Shelton is a better option. I did consider Spokane but they get a lot of snow. There is also cheap housing in other States, eg TX, LA, KY, but they won't allow me to get to my family quickly or easily. I would really appreciate the insight of folks who are familiar with these areas. I plan to put a small manufactured home on the property. There are a lot of nice places but the Codes and Restrictions and my limited budget hamper me. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
That area near Willapa Bay is nice. It stays cool in the summers, but I've heard the area tends toward more rain than other parts; rain squalls, and such. OTOH, that may not be a bad thing, as the West Coast gets drier. Buying on higher ground is good advice. Raymond has areas that are up high.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-13-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Between the two, sight unseen, I'd go for Shelton. Much closer to services and most likely better weather.

For rural land that is a reasonable distance to Vancouver BC, I would take a look at Whidby Island. It is ferry access to the south towards Seattle which slows things down and keeps Whidby Island outside of easy commuting range to the Seattle area. But there is highway access to the north towards Vancouver as there is a bridge off the island at the north end. Not sure you are going to find much for $10,000 that will take a manufactured home. But for rural land outside the Seattle commuter zone that is where I'd be looking first. Beautiful area. The Oak Harbor area towards the northern end of the island is next to the naval air station so gets lots of jet noise which may reduce property values. If you can put up with that you may find something up there. If you ever watched the old movie "Officer and a Gentleman" that is where it was set.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 PM

467 posts, read 526,617 times
I agree with somewhere on Whitney or Fidalgo Island, but I would not discount Raymond too quickly. Lots of nice older homes, beautiful coastal mountains. Yes, a lot of rain. I have been to Shelton a few times to eat at Xinh’s, it since they have closed (and broke my heart), I doubt I will get there again. I do think the access to Olympia would make it a nice small town to live in.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM

Just for perspective.

but...for OP... commuting from Raymond to BC to see relatives (as a person ages / retired) is really gonna become a LONG trip! I can imagine 6 hrs one way! (vs 1-2 hrs if NORTH of SEA metro).

Having a few friends who retired to Grays Harbor area, it can be VERY gray and depressing for retirees. I know that LOVE to get 'inland' / to civilization as often as possible.

Having cared for elderly relatives and now having a FIL 3 hrs away instead of 6 hrs... it is a VERY long trip to do frequently (as care needs dictate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington