Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,155 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a biracial couple (I’m black and my husband is white) currently living outside of Portland with the high housing cost we were looking at possibly moving to Vancouver, then my husband saw that Kelso and Longview have homes we could afford vs a condo in Vancouver. Plus it’s only an hour drive from Portland where my husband works. We have a preschool aged boy, so I’m very concerned where we end up. I’ve seen information that a little over ten years ago both Kelso and Longview were not very open or friendly to people of color or children of mixed races. Is that still the case? How are racial tensions, are people generally friendly? We will get dirty looks anywhere we go (from both sides of the fence) and I’ve sadly accepted that, but my main concern is how far people tend to go beyond just giving dirty looks. If anyone could give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 08:35 PM

120 posts, read 101,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaartist View Post
Hello,

We are a biracial couple (I’m black and my husband is white) currently living outside of Portland with the high housing cost we were looking at possibly moving to Vancouver, then my husband saw that Kelso and Longview have homes we could afford vs a condo in Vancouver. Plus it’s only an hour drive from Portland where my husband works. We have a preschool aged boy, so I’m very concerned where we end up. I’ve seen information that a little over ten years ago both Kelso and Longview were not very open or friendly to people of color or children of mixed races. Is that still the case? How are racial tensions, are people generally friendly? We will get dirty looks anywhere we go (from both sides of the fence) and I’ve sadly accepted that, but my main concern is how far people tend to go beyond just giving dirty looks. If anyone could give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it.
This isn't 1960 you know?

Yes there are going to be older folks that have certain beliefs but over time people open up.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
This isn't 1960 you know?

Yes there are going to be older folks that have certain beliefs but over time people open up.
No it is not, and yet it is something some people take great issue with. Here in Portland there are incidents constantly. While I was with my son I literally had a man yell out racial slurs and call my baby an abomination, while outside a Fred Meyer. Given that I have a small child I don’t see anything wrong in checking to see what kind of mind set a community has as a majority before we consider moving there. Thank you for your input though..

Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 AM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
Quote:
No it is not, and yet it is something some people take great issue with. Here in Portland there are incidents constantly. While I was with my son I literally had a man yell out racial slurs and call my baby an abomination, while outside a Fred Meyer. Given that I have a small child I don’t see anything wrong in checking to see what kind of mind set a community has as a majority before we consider moving there. Thank you for your input though..
Note to self: Stay the heck out of Portland.

Try Austin Texas. Almost all the racist have been pushed out to the far flung rural areas in the boonies where they still mostly keep their mouths shut.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Hello,

I have a co-worker who grew up in Longview and still lives there who says the place has a pretty long history of racism. Which doesn't necessarily make it unique. But the area hasn't changed much and hasn't really aged well in my opinion. I'm sure there are people here who like the place and I'm sure many good people live there. But frankly it kind of gives me the creeps when we go up there which I do on occasion for my daughter's soccer games. There is a very downscale white trash sort of vibe to the place.

In your position and looking at public schools for your child I would suck it up and stick with Vancouver. Plus, I can't imagine the daily commute from Longview to Portland. That would seriously suck.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:46 PM

120 posts, read 101,438 times
Quote:
What is routinely viewed in Portland are the young millennial ANTIFA types who think having zero government at all is best. Anarchy for everyone

They are nitwits and prove it every-time they are on the evening news.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I have a co-worker who grew up in Longview and still lives there who says the place has a pretty long history of racism. Which doesn't necessarily make it unique. But the area hasn't changed much and hasn't really aged well in my opinion. I'm sure there are people here who like the place and I'm sure many good people live there. But frankly it kind of gives me the creeps when we go up there which I do on occasion for my daughter's soccer games. There is a very downscale white trash sort of vibe to the place.

In your position and looking at public schools for your child I would suck it up and stick with Vancouver. Plus, I can't imagine the daily commute from Longview to Portland. That would seriously suck.
That’s what I keep seeing and that’s one of the reasons why I’m so concerned. Not to put a group of people in a box but I feel that the type of people who take things to another level tend to be a little more on the white trash side for a lack of better words. The older man that was outside of Fred Meyer, was definitely someone I would put in that category. Now I just have to convince my husband that it’s not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington