Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:54 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I can only guess the banks don't finance single wides because of how they depreciate. It would actually look quite bad on the banks if they foreclosed on a family living in a single wide trailer. I think they may be so quick to pay off that banks don't make much interest on them. A banks goal is to own real estate for as long as they can, giving people an illusion of home-ownership which they work their butt off for. My mother went into a 55+ community, brand new facility and nice, wide hallways and wheelchair accessible throughout, this was in Lenoir NC paying something like 500/month which is also half of her disability, but she also has 2 bedroom apartment, only needed 1 but 2 was available. She hustles on the side for extra money (a way southerners do) and has family nearby which makes this living arrangement work.

I have seen some old-model single wides that look horrible but are still standing. I was open to buying one from the 70s or 60s if there weren't leaks or holes, because they were just so cheap, hard to go wrong if I lived there even for 1 year. I'm not handy either, or it takes me longer to mess with repairs.

My aunt's husband owns a 80' long single wide and rents it out. One tenant trashed it beyond recognition, because they were very crazy neglectful wild redneck types, and he spent years repairing it as he could. Now it looks beautiful but the trailer has been a horrible investment because it's located far from town. He practically has to rent it for free to have a tenant.

I rented an apartment, something between a studio and 1 bedroom, for 350/month a few years back. Everything was included but it had a roach problem which was unbearable. A neighbor never took his trash out.
Yeah, the banks have their reasons, and we are slaves. I hate that part.

I'm happy your mom found a nice place. And a 2 bedroom too. That's great. Glad she is well enough to be able to work some. Although that can have an effect on benefits. I think Lenoir is where I looked into Low income senior housing also. But they wanted me to hand deliver my application instead of mailing, or faxing it, which presented problems. I would have had to borrow, or rent a car to go up there from Raleigh which wasn't feasible. Plus they had a tornado tear through there more than a year ago. The one that hit Hickory, I think. But I thought the town was very cute. And it had a rec center which I wanted. And historic buildings downtown.

I think the main thing about those older ones is the aluminum wiring, which can start fires. That's why the lenders have the cut off sometime in the 70's, as that is when the wiring changed, I think. Sorry about your families mobile being trashed. I just don't understand that mentality that would destroy someone's property. That 80 ft long trailer is a super long one. $350 was a good price on that apartment, but not worth the headache. But you didn't know it till after you were there. What a drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
A chalet (as I understand it) isn't like those triangle shaped houses, it looks like any house except the master bedroom is typically upstairs with the ceiling as the roof, so there's no attic. There were trees covering some sun but in the winter time when the leaves are gone the sun shines in.

Some MH are high, like above 100k because they look like a house, I seen several of those homes online, the only listings that show with the filter "200-300k". I think it's hilarious but like you said the area is highly sought. I would never pay that kind of money for a MH, it defeats the whole idea of a MH.
Here are some of what I meant, all in Sequim, Wa. There are very nice ones, and definitely out of my price range. It was easier just to give you the link to all of them. The more expensive ones are what I meant. But I liked some of the less expensive ones too.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...fd-mobile-home

--------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington