Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The tulips are a pretty big commercial business and tourist draw.

Only 30,000 in Mount Vernon itself but 120k in the metro comprised of MV and Anacortes and places around them. Metro growing by about 1,000 per year.

Slightly cheaper and slightly lower Democratic party registration.

Was originally a logging town then the railroad became important. Not really part of the new economy, at least yet. Unemployment higher than much of the Puget Sound region.

The Skagit Valley is beautiful.
I'm more republican leaning but really don't care about politics. I voted for Trump mostly for not sugar-coating the economy during his campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 07:50 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Are you implying that Bellingham doesn't have sidewalks? I recall walking on roads in Bellingham, can't remember the sidewalk situation. But being more expensive I would definitely expect a network of sidewalks even beyond the town center.
No, Bellingham has sidewalks. You mentioned you wanted sidewalks- so I was just pointing out that you'll find them around downtown Mt. Vernon as well. It's a smaller, established town.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Are you implying that Bellingham doesn't have sidewalks? I recall walking on roads in Bellingham, can't remember the sidewalk situation. But being more expensive I would definitely expect a network of sidewalks even beyond the town center.
I visited Bham last month (for just a day) and on the whole was impressed.
As to sidewalks -- mostly, yes, but perhaps there'll be gaps in the newer parts of town.
I walked from the Cordata bus station to a restaurant on Meridian, and noticed that
on the street I was taking (Westerly Road), in places the sidewalk would simply end.
That's not unusual in recently-developed parts of US cities -- the streets are designed
for cars; anything else is an afterthought.

But as I've said in other posts, the Bellingham bus system is remarkably good.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
Quote:
So what's the difference between Bellingham and Mount Vernon?

I see Mount Vernon has many tulips and is closer to Seattle. Do the tulips indicate a friendly city? Mount Vernon also appears cheaper, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason for that.

Is there a certain type of people who move to one over the other? Bellingham seems popular just for being the gateway city to Canada.

When I first went to Canada I briefly stopped in both and honestly I said to myself I would never live near the Canada border/ border patrol for the trouble I've experienced and flash-backs, including having to drive across Canada to reach closer to home on east coast. Do people really like living near the border? I feel like I need a buffer zone between my residence and border. I use to feel uneasy until I drove at least 1 state away from the border. But not to ramble...
The tulips (and daffodils) grow in the giant fields in the flat land to the west of Mt. Vernon, so it's a colorful tourist draw in the spring. The Skagit Valley is pretty, and it's a good location to access the San Juans and North Cascades NP. But it's also more country feeling, which you may or may not like. It's a relatively good bargain- I know several people who commute to Bham, and several that commute to Seattle, as it's less than an hour from Everett and is considered by some to be the outermost exurb.

As Ruth mentioned, Bham has more of a city feel, like a cool Seattle or Portland neighborhood without the traffic. There's definitely more of a cachet to Bellingham, as it's regarded as a happening place to be. The university plays a role; but it's also become a more sought after outdoor destination town, with lot of paddlers, skiers/snowboarders, and mountain bikers calling this place home. We've got several beautiful lakes in town and we're on the bay, with world class mountain biking (look up Galbraith Mountain) and hiking in town. Also, much of the city is bike/walk friendly, especially west of I-5. No lack of sidewalks here, either in the neighborhoods or downtown- though not as many in the newer, suburban and retail areas on the north side of town. Anyway, we also have a lot of trails and bike lanes, FWIW.

Bham is growing in population with Vancouverites as a tourism destination. And it's always been a big shopping area for BC folks, but Bellingham does not feel like you're living right on the border- which is 20+ miles north.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I visited Bham last month (for just a day) and on the whole was impressed.
As to sidewalks -- mostly, yes, but perhaps there'll be gaps in the newer parts of town.
I walked from the Cordata bus station to a restaurant on Meridian, and noticed that
on the street I was taking (Westerly Road), in places the sidewalk would simply end.
That's not unusual in recently-developed parts of US cities -- the streets are designed
for cars; anything else is an afterthought.

But as I've said in other posts, the Bellingham bus system is remarkably good.
I know what you mean with sidewalks ending. I walk a lot for exercise and see that, luckily the roads aren't very crowded, which makes crossing a road easier.

I currently live in a city with a total of 6 bus lines, all originate from main street and come every hour. It's a small city but that helps many people.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:54 AM

87 posts, read 95,824 times
I live on Whidbey Island. Navy Community. Many of our Civilians/Sailors and their families live/travel from Bellingham/Mt.Vernon/Marysville/Sedro area and beyond. Some by VanPool. Either is good, to my mind. Bellingham is def larger, but either is good IMO.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
The tulips (and daffodils) grow in the giant fields in the flat land to the west of Mt. Vernon, so it's a colorful tourist draw in the spring. The Skagit Valley is pretty, and it's a good location to access the San Juans and North Cascades NP. But it's also more country feeling, which you may or may not like. It's a relatively good bargain- I know several people who commute to Bham, and several that commute to Seattle, as it's less than an hour from Everett and is considered by some to be the outermost exurb.

As Ruth mentioned, Bham has more of a city feel, like a cool Seattle or Portland neighborhood without the traffic. There's definitely more of a cachet to Bellingham, as it's regarded as a happening place to be. The university plays a role; but it's also become a more sought after outdoor destination town, with lot of paddlers, skiers/snowboarders, and mountain bikers calling this place home. We've got several beautiful lakes in town and we're on the bay, with world class mountain biking (look up Galbraith Mountain) and hiking in town. Also, much of the city is bike/walk friendly, especially west of I-5. No lack of sidewalks here, either in the neighborhoods or downtown- though not as many in the newer, suburban and retail areas on the north side of town. Anyway, we also have a lot of trails and bike lanes, FWIW.

Bham is growing in population with Vancouverites as a tourism destination. And it's always been a big shopping area for BC folks, but Bellingham does not feel like you're living right on the border- which is 20+ miles north.
That all explains why real estate is a tad high. I think Bellingham sold itself as a resort town for growth and tax payers to fund more projects. The people who have lived there a while probably never saw it as a resort city but that's what realtors play from, especially to Canadians who see it's a good deal.

My current lease ends after October ends so I may need to come late Sept/early October and find an apartment, then make the final move with a trailer of belongings.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dental257 View Post
I live on Whidbey Island. Navy Community. Many of our Civilians/Sailors and their families live/travel from Bellingham/Mt.Vernon/Marysville/Sedro area and beyond. Some by VanPool. Either is good, to my mind. Bellingham is def larger, but either is good IMO.
It seems like quite a few people live on those westward islands. I tried to look up photos. I grew up in an air force community, was peaceful.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
Quote:
It seems like quite a few people live on those westward islands. I tried to look up photos. I grew up in an air force community, was peaceful.
Check out Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Check out Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island.
Thanks. I have. It's also nice to see flights to the west coast aren't much higher than flights within the east coast. And I assume people use SEA over vancouver airport to avoid potential delays at the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington