Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 PM

12 posts, read 16,006 times

Advertisements

What are your impressions of Kalama, WA? Is the town kept clean? Are newcomers welcomed? General attitude regarding politics and education? Leisure activities most people enjoy? Nice downtown with shops? Etc....

Most of the statistics I've read indicate that the majority of voters vote blue, the town is making improvements to the waterfront, housing is expensive (compared to Longview/Kelso, but a little better than Vancouver), and gardening is good.

However, I also read a comment that there is a pervasive "huntin', fishin', muddin', hick" mentality, which seems to contradict the above and not the impression I had based on initial research.

How would you describe Kalama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:56 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
I think for most people, Kalama is something they drive through on I-5 without ever having noticed they even passed through it.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
My co-worker was raised there (and after 10 yrs gone, still prefers it to Vancouver)

Here mom a teacher in Kalama, her dad a business owner with ~ 20 quite well paid employees (investigative engineering)

+ their family is very involved in the community.

30 minutes research on who pays the majority of taxes and creates the most jobs and provides payroll to the community will be VERY evident whether Blue or Red is prospering the community ((for the benefit of the community and building strong families, schools, infrastructure (including educational infrastructure / libraries) and economy)

Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki9090 View Post
What are your impressions of Kalama, WA? Is the town kept clean? Are newcomers welcomed? General attitude regarding politics and education? Leisure activities most people enjoy? Nice downtown with shops? Etc....

Most of the statistics I've read indicate that the majority of voters vote blue, the town is making improvements to the waterfront, housing is expensive (compared to Longview/Kelso, but a little better than Vancouver), and gardening is good.

However, I also read a comment that there is a pervasive "huntin', fishin', muddin', hick" mentality, which seems to contradict the above and not the impression I had based on initial research.

How would you describe Kalama?
The population of Kalama and many rural Washington counties is close to 50:50, politically... You're not going to see a clear majority of either party. A quick look at our recent primary two days ago shows a wide variety of results, actually, in Cowlitz County. Depends on the job, and the candidate. (https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/cowlitz/)

Democrats in Kalama are more likely to be strong Union blue-collar kinds of Democrats, than Urban Seattle or Portland "progressive" kinds of Democrats... and yes... they probably hunt, fish, and play in the outdoors! Many Democrats do. Playing in the outdoors is the only good reason I can think of to live in Kalama.

FWIW.... In my experience, country type people tend to be far more tolerant of differences than their urban counterparts, regardless of party. If you don't bother them... they won't bother you. But if you need a hand... they'll show up to help! - if you need someone with a chain saw or a pickup truck... In a snow storm. You won't find that in town.

But some may still call them hicks.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-08-2018 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 PM

12 posts, read 16,006 times
Oh, I don't have a problem with any of the outdoor activities as such, and if any small town is split politically, that's a better balance than most places I've lived, it's the phrase "muddin'" without the "g" that connotes waving flags in my face and thinking I'm a snob if I go to yoga that I want to avoid. I don't want to move somewhere by choice just to find I'm socially isolated.

eta: I wouldn't call what you've described as hicks at all. There's a difference between small-town people and small-minded people.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki9090 View Post
Oh, I don't have a problem with any of the outdoor activities as such.... it's the phrase "muddin'" without the "g" that connotes waving flags in my face and thinking I'm a snob if I go to yoga that I want to avoid.
They might think you're a snob if you make fun of them, their beliefs, their hobbies, and their language, as you did there.

They really don't care if you go to yoga. Really!

Quote:
I don't want to move somewhere by choice just to find I'm socially isolated.
I really think that part is up to you and what you bring with you. I think you should go to Kalama and spend some time. See if you can like them, or if you can only come up with things you'd like to change about them.

See if you really like Kalama... or if you wish Kalama was something else.

That's a good idea for just about anyplace.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Kalama? Does it have a zoo?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kalama? Does it have a zoo?

Took me a minute.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think for most people, Kalama is something they drive through on I-5 without ever having noticed they even passed through it.
Afraid we’re guilty of that, we always stop in Kelso at Dutch Bros. for coffee, and pass right by Kalama.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Kalama is a small town that was featured in an MTV Catfish episode a few years ago. Only about 2500 people live there. Located about 10 miles south of the Longview/Kelso area, and about 35 miles north of Portland, Oregon.

Beyond that, it is just an exit on I-5, with a couple of diners and small motels. Culture? In the eye of the beholder, but a town this small usually doesn't offer much. I will stand corrected if I am missing something.

If you work in Longview/Kelso, or even Vancouver/Portland, the commute would not be incredibly bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington