Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I agree with this. but..... I was driving by a local recent wildfire area in my locale. What really caught my attention was a few burned down buildings, and the fact that most people living in the area had nice dry trees and bushes and grasses growing right up to their houses. Dry junipers hanging over their houses for "shade". Same junipers and rabbitbrush that were literally toast a very short distance from them.

It would be pretty easy to have a non-burnable border around a house in a fire hazard zone. A surprising number of people do not do this simple step.
The only problem with this theory is that it can provide a false sense of security during a powerful firestorm. It's like duck and cover during a bomb drill. If the bomb hits the desk won't do much. Of course its still good practice to have the trees and bushes cut back. But when a hot fast moving fire is spreading like a storm through a neighborhood embers by can fly in a catch the home on fire even from a longer distance away. Or it can just roll through regardless because of strong winds and its own weather pattern which it creates. My uncle and aunt's home was destroyed last year in a such a fire rolling through a suburban neighborhood. It wiped out whole blocks regardless of trees, brush, etc...

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 02:30 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The only problem with this theory is that it can provide a false sense of security during a powerful firestorm. It's like duck and cover during a bomb drill. If the bomb hits the desk won't do much. Of course its still good practice to have the trees and bushes cut back. But when a hot fast moving fire is spreading like a storm through a neighborhood embers by can fly in a catch the home on fire even from a longer distance away. Or it can just roll through regardless because of strong winds and its own weather pattern which it creates. My uncle and aunt's home was destroyed last year in a such a fire rolling through a suburban neighborhood. It wiped out whole blocks regardless of trees, brush, etc...

Derek
Well, sure, in extreme cases...

No defense will protect every time in a fire or any other natural disaster. But a defensible border will absolutely help in many circumstances.

These things aren't black-and-white. It's not either your house will burn down or it won't burn down - it's a sliding scale of LESSENING the chances that your house will burn down.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:18 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, sure, in extreme cases...

No defense will protect every time in a fire or any other natural disaster. But a defensible border will absolutely help in many circumstances.

These things aren't black-and-white. It's not either your house will burn down or it won't burn down - it's a sliding scale of LESSENING the chances that your house will burn down.
I agree that one should take preventive measures including trimming things back. It's just not the end all be all in fire protection nor is it necessarily the most effective form.

After watching many homes burn during some of CA's most destructive fires and reading more about protection this became more evident. The flying burning embers traveling directly to homes from further distances are the greater threat.

"Many homes with adequate (or excessive) defensible space have still burned to the ground because embers have entered through attic vents, ignited flammable materials around the home (litter in the gutter, wood stacks, wood fencing), or found their way under roofing materials."

Check out what happened in Glacier NP last year at this time when firefighters went to extreme measures to protect the historic 114-year-old Sperry Chalet built of stone. Fire that gutted Sperry Chalet

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-23-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 03:02 PM

335 posts, read 421,772 times
Build a hobbit home, or concrete, or something.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
Very helpful information everyone! We are currently looking into the Wenatchee area in an attempt of 4 seasons (I lived in Bellingham for 3 years, too wet for me), a population big enough to support our careers (healthcare/medicine), and are also worried about smoke season. I have two friends who spend time in Twisp area and they say it's been really bad the past two years. I'm also worried about the 'drab'/tan/brown as I have lived in the desert the past few years but come from Alaska. Very ready to embrace the green again! I love the look of Leavensworth in terms of snow/mountains/trees, but I think I would go nuts with all of the Bavarian hype 24/7. Are there any places in the mountains anyone might suggest that have at least 15,000 people, or is close enough to commute to in 20min as to enjoy forest/mountains a bit more (e.g. how is Cashmere, Chelan?). Thinking of looking into Ellensburg, WA are too. First post/new user, & thinking I should start a central/eastern WA 4 season thread. I will keep an eye on this one so long as I can decipher how! Thanks in advance to anyone for any additional info, and pinotandgin I wish you luck on relocating!

Old 06-21-2019, 05:26 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinotandGin View Post
I lived for several years on the West Side of Washington State and loved it except for the traffic/crowds and overcast skies. I grew up in the Southeast USA, so heat does not bother me, as long as there is relief from humidity and mosquitoes. The husband loves cold and snow, hates heat and humidity. We dream of a small 1500 sq ft house, patio, fire pit, grill, and the ability to bicycle to work every day without the fear of being run over by an expensive SUV.

Is this Wenatchee?
Weather wise? Might be as close as you're going to find to a good compromise between you and hubby. It's not AS hot as further east, it's not as cloudy as the west, and it's not far to snow in winter, ever.

Quote:
1. I’ve subscribed online to the Wenatchee World, and have been following the air quality and wild fire stories. Is the haze and poor air quality just a nuisance for a few weeks, or does it really limit what people can do? Neither of us have asthma or any cardiopulmonary conditions, but we also would feel foolish if we moved for the outdoors, only to stay indoors for several months in the year.
When and where there are going to be fires is hard to predict, but they do happen on the East slopes of the Cascades... it's just part of life. Lately we've had some smoke from fires in Canada that hung around for some weeks until the winds shifted. It will not be all the time. But it will happen periodically in summer.

Quote:
2. Regarding fire: IMO, if you had to choose a natural disaster, fire seems the worst (compared to earthquake, hurricanes, tornadoes). If we were to live in town (close to Central Washington Hospital), is this something to worry about as a threat to person and property?
I think generally, wildfires don't come in to town.... but there's a few towns in CA who would correct me from saying it NEVER happens.

Quote:
3. Please tell me there are no mosquitoes.
Mosquitos exist, but you usually only have them bad very near large stagnant water sources.

They're not huge ones, like they have in other parts.

Quote:
4. How are the roads for road cycling? Can you legitimately use a bike for daily commuting? Are the drivers willing to share the roads?
I dunno. Haven't been there enough recently. I went to college in Eastern WA, and skied quite a bit at Mission Ridge then... but it's been years now. So I think I'll duck out of the rest of the questions too, that require more recent local knowledge.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly Dreams View Post
Thinking of looking into Ellensburg, WA are too. First post/new user, & thinking I should start a central/eastern WA 4 season thread. I will keep an eye on this one so long as I can decipher how!

I went to college in Ellensburg and it's a good town to check out for what you want. It can be hot there, but there's also frequently a breeze. Ellensburg is actually known for its wind.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:39 AM

154 posts, read 230,348 times
Default Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Build a hobbit home, or concrete, or something.
That is very helpful advice.
That is why people come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington