Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 PM

147 posts, read 150,888 times

Advertisements

Not to intrude on the Seattle forum but the previous poster is right, the PNW is a big area and there's no reason to limit yourself to Seattle.

I live in the Vancouver WA area and it's booming down here too but the cost of living is WAY below Seattle with access to places like the Hood River (mentioned above) and the rest of the gorge and Mt Hood area. The population of the Portland/Vancouver area would probably work for your business goals as well and rumor has it we're a little warmer (just a little) than our Seattle friends.

One of the best things my husband and I ever did was move away from where we were comfortable. Four states later we're finally settled

All of that said, you MUST spend time here in the winter before making any decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 02:21 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Portland summers are definitely warmer than Seattle's but winters can get colder and snowier.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 27,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
What a refreshing and interesting thread this is, so much more level-headed and honest than a lot we see here.

When I was your age (actually a year older) and in a somewhat similar situation - doing okay but curious about the other side of the fence, as it were, my wife and I rolled the dice and moved to Scotland. (I was a California native and she was from the Chicago western suburbs, both living in Seattle.) I did it to go to grad school, but she had to find a job once we got there (which meant a work permit, not easy to obtain.)

It was not easy, and it put some strains on our relationship; from a two-income household we went to less than one, and although our savings were supposedly adequate to get us through the planned two years of my grad school program, once we got there it became obvious that while we could survive, it would be at a pretty basic level - forget too many meals out, etc. So she had to redouble her efforts to find a job, which she eventually did, and she thrived.

The distance from family and friends was quite an adjustment, but it turned out that they were all eager as hell to come visit us, so it ended being much less an issue than we'd feared. The climate was lousy (it was Scotland, after all) but I could get cheap student flights pretty much anywhere, so we spent one Christmas in the warmth in the south of France, summer weeks in Denmark and Finland, and London anytime we felt like it. And hiking through the heather in the Highlands in the fall was magical. We ended up staying for a number of years after my schooling was over; we both got work and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

I say all this because of the old saying, carpe diem. I applaud you making long term plans - the white house on the coast, whatever. But I'd also urge you to add some uncertainty into your life: nothing too drastic or some situation where you can't recover relatively easily, but maybe something not too comfortable, either. People have different tolerances for disorder and risk in their lives, but in my experience you have to find your own levels of those things through trial and error.

Take a possible move to the Pacific NW for example. This is a big region, and things like warmer summers or less snowy winters are literally an hour's drive from one another, sometime less. Unlike Chicagoland and the Midwest, the mountains make a huge difference. Take the pretty little town of Hood River, Oregon for example. This is a small town located on the Columbia River an hour east of Portland, with Portland's airport between them. It's on the east side of the Cascade crest, although being on the river there's very little elevation change from Portland and the Pacific. But as far as the weather is concerned, the Cascades (like Mount Adams and Mount Hood) block quite a lot of the rain and the marine air, so in the summer things warm up big time. It's ideal orchard country; the Hood River Valley, which extends south from the town to Mount Hood, which looms over everything, is a glorious mixture of apple and pear orchards, berry and lavender farms, vineyards (producing some terrific wines) and fruit stands. It can be chilly in the winter and warm in the summer, but seldom humid. On the Columbia at the town's shore, you'll find windsurfers, kite boarders and all sorts of water sports people. There are salmon in the river, wilderness lakes a stone's throw away, wineries, breweries, galleries and shops galore, and if you need some city time, Portland's just down the road. In the other direction you're in sagebrush and desert in no time, or head south past Mount Hood and you're in cowboy country with artist colonies like Bend and Sisters a couple of hours distant.

Now I'm not trying to sell Hood River, it might or might not be your cup of tea, but what I am saying is that this is as much a Pacific NW place as Seattle is. I could show how the same thing goes for Spokane, or Eugene, or Tacoma or Bellingham, or even Vancouver BC. Unlike many parts of the continent, this region has so much variety in its physical and cultural landscapes that things like climate are the smallest parts of all the differences.

So good on you that you know your minds, and best wishes as you continue to explore your options. But don't discount the potential benefits of risk-taking and the value of exploring. You never know what's around the bend.
Wow, Gardyloo. First off, I want to sincerely, from the bottom of my heart thank you for taking the time to reply in such a meaningful way. Your words spoke so much into me. I believe that in order to become wise, I must listen to the wise. So again, thank you.

That is fascinating. I can relate completely because my wife & I have actually had the exact same dream -- to move to Scotland or somewhere Nordic for a year just to see how we like it. We potentially viewed this move to Seattle as a stepping stone -- to get used to living away from home, and the cooler, wet climate. If we decide we like it, we can absolutely stay...(or)... we can see where the next path leads us in the future.

I'm well aware that the pasture really isn't any greener on the other side of the fence; while it may seem so, every new season and change comes with tremendous ups and downs .... (but) at the end of a season, we can always look back and I tend to mostly remember the good memories and the bad stuff seems to fade away. That's how I am I guess, and I'm grateful for it.

My wife, on the other hand, would've done this move two months ago. I've been the one holding the brake pedal. She's far more adventurous than me, and much less attached to her family. She's really positive about it, and I see it as an opportunity for her to thrive. I just need to let go of some familiarity and comfort, which I'll admit, is tough but even more exciting. She is possibly looking at becoming a wine sommelier, and I know she has what it takes. She's so smart and I'm beyond lucky to be married to her.

That being said, the rent is so affordable in the spots you mentioned. We definitely think we need access to a big city within less than an hour drive. We're familiar with Seattle so it's at least a starting point. Perhaps we could do a year and then consider somewhere cheaper. Believe me, I'm ALL for lower cost of living. That's why we've always been drawn to the South!

Old 08-26-2018, 04:17 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
These thoughts & questions come to mind:

Where is this rental on Whidbey?
How far is it to an upscale restaurant she'd work in?
Do they get much business 8 months of the year that isn't summer?
What about the established photography competition? Might not break in right away.
How often would you be flying out of Sea-Tac? Not sure exactly how long it would take each way but you are talking several hours or more.
Realistically how many day trips or weekends would you anticipate spending in the mountains? One per month in summer? More? Less? Would you get to mountains significantly more than a block of summer vacation?
Whidbey Island is significantly older than national average (over-represented with seniors) Older generally means less healthy.
Have you visited Whidbey?
How often would you want to visit Seattle? Prepared for multi-hour travel each way?
Would you plan to do any special on the farmette (besides living & photography)? Would you be expected to do any land related chores? Is the house in good condition?
If you said yes to the rental tomorrow, could you do everything and be there in 2 weeks? A month? Two? Would you rent unseen or would you trip out there next week to see it?

Moving in the fall is likely to make business slow, travel less appealing and feel "gloomy" right off bat. Spring is probably better in many ways, though you'll have to deal with seasons in long run.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-26-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 04:44 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingachbook View Post
My wife, on the other hand, would've done this move two months ago. I've been the one holding the brake pedal. She's far more adventurous than me, and much less attached to her family. She's really positive about it, and I see it as an opportunity for her to thrive. I just need to let go of some familiarity and comfort, which I'll admit, is tough but even more exciting. She is possibly looking at becoming a wine sommelier, and I know she has what it takes. She's so smart and I'm beyond lucky to be married to her.

That being said, the rent is so affordable in the spots you mentioned. We definitely think we need access to a big city within less than an hour drive. We're familiar with Seattle so it's at least a starting point. Perhaps we could do a year and then consider somewhere cheaper. Believe me, I'm ALL for lower cost of living. That's why we've always been drawn to the South!
I enjoyed reading your post as we are considering a move to the PNW as well. Although we are in a different life stage with three teenagers, we've got similar concerns. For us it could still go either way. But I don't want to let fear of the unknown become a part of the decision making process. When overthinking all the 'what ifs' one can become uncomfortable with any move whether that be to the PNW, the South, Scotland, etc... There are simply too many 'what if' scenarios to worry about if you stop to try and think of all of them. That's different than performing your due diligence in looking at an area to see if it might be a good place to work, live, etc... which I think you've both done.

Reading what you wrote about your wife's sense of adventure, I would say you are a blessed man first and foremost. Why not enjoy some of that adventurous spirit she has while still young before kids and other 'older adult' consideration/responsibilities. I say go for it!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've learned through the years that its good to listen to my wife in such situations especially as it relates to her dreams. You can always fall back to the comforts of what is most familiar at a latter point in life after experiencing more of your world together. Spread your wings a bit more and see where that might take you both. Even if its for a year, what's the worst that can happen? Maybe you decide to go back home or maybe something fantastic occurs beyond what you could have even imagined. Either way you will have grown and enjoyed an adventure together in that process.

Regarding making friends, if that is a real concern, visit churches and other shared interest groups while there. Heck, talk to more folks online like you are right now. We're doing the same thing connecting with locals before making a move. For example, I've joined several SUP meetup groups around Portland since we're considering moving to Vancouver. I've also sent a number of emails to churches we'd like to potentially attend in the area. The folks have all been friendly and helpful adding to that missing 'human' element of the overall move. That's not to say it won't take time to develop longer term friendships. But that really applies to anywhere you move to. Just more food for thought along with a 'gentle' nudge to explore your dreams together even if out of your current comfort zone.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-26-2018 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 06:00 PM

18 posts, read 27,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
These thoughts & questions come to mind:

Where is this rental on Whidbey?
How far is it to an upscale restaurant she'd work in?
Do they get much business 8 months of the year that isn't summer?
What about the established photography competition? Might not break in right away.
How often would you be flying out of Sea-Tac? Not sure exactly how long it would take each way but you are talking several hours or more.
Realistically how many day trips or weekends would you anticipate spending in the mountains? One per month in summer? More? Less? Would you get to mountains significantly more than a block of summer vacation?
Whidbey Island is significantly older than national average (over-represented with seniors) Older generally means less healthy.
Have you visited Whidbey?
How often would you want to visit Seattle? Prepared for multi-hour travel each way?
Would you plan to do any special on the farmette (besides living & photography)? Would you be expected to do any land related chores? Is the house in good condition?
If you said yes to the rental tomorrow, could you do everything and be there in 2 weeks? A month? Two? Would you rent unseen or would you trip out there next week to see it?

Moving in the fall is likely to make business slow, travel less appealing and feel "gloomy" right off bat. Spring is probably better in many ways, though you'll have to deal with seasons in long run.

These are all very good questions. This particular place is on South (?) Whidbey, the ferry is walkable. Speaking of the ferry, I was under the impression doing the whole ferry commute was doable, I guess the landlords did it for years. I heard it was generally 1hr-1.5hrs via ferry and public transport to downtown Seattle.

Fast internet is still an issue I haven't nailed down with enough clarity.

We serve clients around the U.S, so our location shouldn't entirely affect our business profits. However, we hope being in the PNW would better serve us in the long run.

I do agree, I find myself a little worried about starting things off in rainy season without ever experiencing a winter in the PNW. I'm very worried about depression kicking in hard. I've never been prone to that, but between the weather and isolation, I can see it happening very quickly and severely. All of that being said... it may perhaps be better to wait another 6mo-1yr and mull it over some more.

Also -- I have not been to Whidbey yet, I was planning a trip next week. It's very possible I may decide it's a stupid place to move right off the bat. Maybe it's too isolated for us. We love nature space, but if everyone is retired it could be a bit too isolated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I say go for it!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've learned through the years that its good to listen to my wife in such situations especially as it relates to her dreams. You can always fall back to the comforts of what is most familiar at a latter point in life after experiencing more of your world together. Spread your wings a bit more and see where that might take you both. Even if its for a year, what's the worst that can happen? Maybe you decide to go back home or maybe something fantastic occurs beyond what you could have even imagined. Either way you will have grown and enjoyed an adventure together in that process.

That's not to say it won't take time to develop longer term friendships. But that really applies to anywhere you move to. Just more food for thought along with a 'gentle' nudge to explore your dreams together even if out of your current comfort zone.

Derek
Great words, thanks Derek. The worst that could happen is we take a financial hit, which sets us back from our other life goals.... because moving is not cheap; and our cost of living will be nearly doubling in some sense. That combined plus my loss of local work will be tough, until I'm able to start picking up more jobs locally or nationally. Personally, I believe that if I work hard, God will take care of us, but I still want to be smart about it.

...And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure if it is a smart decision or not yet. I'm a budget guy; so logically, the numbers just don't add up. But I don't want to underestimate what could happen if we work hard, pray a lot, and have a plan.

Last edited by Chingachbook; 08-26-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 06:50 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
I enjoyed reading your post as we are considering a move to the PNW as well. Although we are in a different life stage with three teenagers, we've got similar concerns. For us it could still go either way. But I don't want to let fear of the unknown become a part of the decision making process. When overthinking all the 'what ifs' one can become uncomfortable with any move whether that be to the PNW, the South, Scotland, etc... There are simply too many 'what if' scenarios to worry about if you stop to try and think of all of them. That's different than performing your due diligence in looking at an area to see if it might be a good place to work, live, etc... which I think you've both done.

Reading what you wrote about your wife's sense of adventure, I would say you are a blessed man first and foremost. Why not enjoy some of that adventurous spirit she has while still young before kids and other 'older adult' consideration/responsibilities. I say go for it!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've learned through the years that its good to listen to my wife in such situations especially as it relates to her dreams. You can always fall back to the comforts of what is most familiar at a latter point in life after experiencing more of your world together. Spread your wings a bit more and see where that might take you both. Even if its for a year, what's the worst that can happen? Maybe you decide to go back home or maybe something fantastic occurs beyond what you could have even imagined. Either way you will have grown and enjoyed an adventure together in that process.

Regarding making friends, if that is a real concern, visit churches and other shared interest groups while there. Heck, talk to more folks online like you are right now. We're doing the same thing connecting with locals before making a move. For example, I've joined several SUP meetup groups around Portland since we're considering moving to Vancouver. I've also sent a number of emails to churches we'd like to potentially attend in the area. The folks have all been friendly and helpful adding to that missing 'human' element of the overall move. That's not to say it won't take time to develop longer term friendships. But that really applies to anywhere you move to. Just more food for thought along with a 'gentle' nudge to explore your dreams together even if out of your current comfort zone.

Derek

Nice post, Derek. Gotta love all the love on City Data about this post, there might be hope for us after all .

Old 08-26-2018, 06:56 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingachbook View Post
Great words, thanks Derek. The worst that could happen is we take a financial hit, which sets us back from our other life goals.... because moving is not cheap; and our cost of living will be nearly doubling in some sense. That combined plus my loss of local work will be tough, until I'm able to start picking up more jobs locally or nationally. Personally, I believe that if I work hard, God will take care of us, but I still want to be smart about it.

...And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure if it is a smart decision or not yet. I'm a budget guy; so logically, the numbers just don't add up. But I don't want to underestimate what could happen if we work hard, pray a lot, and have a plan.
As an engineer, I'm always thinking logically and strategically when considering moves. So I agree with you about that. However, there is also an element of faith involved when leaping out into uncharted waters like a new location. The one thing to consider when moving from a less expensive area (Midwest) to a more expensive area (PNW) is the potential for greater earnings along with the higher COL. For many, wages are also higher so that can 'somewhat' offset the higher housing costs.

I would also recommend expanding your net a bit since there are a lot of more affordable areas within the PNW. That is also why we're looking at Vancouver and surrounds, for example. Housing is more affordable there. Yet you still have Portland nearby and so much natural beauty around the Gorge, Mt. Hood, etc... Bottom line is there are probably more options available than what you've seen so far in the PNW. Olympia will be more affordable and still very close to Olympic NP as well as closer to Mt. Rainier NP which is our favorite. Lots to explore!

Derek

Old 08-26-2018, 08:29 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Two key things that you may want to know.

The Big Gig is launching with Whidbey Telecom over the next year and will provide internet speeds of 1000. The other is Paine Field which is 5 minutes from the Mukilteo Ferry landing. Paine is the testing airstrip for Boeing located in Everett. Propeller is building a passenger terminal there and barring delays flights will begin in January with a caveat that the FAA is doing more certifications. However Alaska Airlines, Southwest and United will serve destinations from that Field. We are anticipating both events in 2019.

Last summer we had sunny days mid 70's to 80's from May to September. It was lovely. This year, our 2nd here has been not as sunny however still pretty with the occasional rain shower. If you must have the hot days, this may not be the place for you. It snowed twice last year once on Christmas. It was lovely. From Whidbey you can get to ski areas easily and Whistler BC is a short 1/2 day trip. Now that's fun....

Again congrats on your success in life thus far.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:31 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
Quote:

Derek

Excellent idea about Meetup groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington