Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
You nailed it, Mayfair. In rural Washington, people aren’t across the board friendly or enlightened. There is a mindset of living in shacks, throwing mattresses in the front yard, drugs, driving trucks with wheels several feet high and confederate flags flying off the sides, shooting off fireworks long past the Fourth, and while locals may not notice or care, it could be a major culture shock for someone new and just moving in.

Yes, I think the OP should stick to what she is comfortable with and not try to branch out into the hills of rural Washington. Beautiful country to be sure, but populated by some crazy people. If you don’t like this kind of thing, living here awhile won’t make it any better. Vashon has a much more civilized demeanor and I’d bet the OP would love it.
Yes, Vashon is the obvious answer. Except she said she looked at it, and it was too run-down.

I don’t think what she is looking for is to be found in Washington state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 02:55 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
People aren't "across the board" anything, anywhere. People vary. Here, there, and anywhere.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:01 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, Vashon is the obvious answer. Except she said she looked at it, and it was too run-down.

I don’t think what she is looking for is to be found in Washington state.
I lived on Vashon Island for three years and visit there regularly. I have to disagree with the "run down" characterization. You might see people living off the grid in teepees, yurts in yards, treehouse and examples of creativity, stacked bamboo all around, leftover Burningman vehicles. Creative it is, run down it is not. Vashon is one of the only holdovers (in my estimation) of true hippiedom in the US. Many layers, intensely creative artists and musicians out there. Plenty of trustafarians too, a few tech people, retirees, even a few rednecks. A special place, you have to spend time there before the layers start to unfold.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
On this we agree, Taz! and is the punch line of my first response on this thread, where I said if that list is important, then most of Washington may be unsuitable for one disqualifying reason or another.

I'll also say perceptions and perspectives vary widely and are difficult to measure from a distance. Taste and perspective is personal. My perspective about this area obviously differs from yours, and I daresay both of us actually differ from what most of Olympia would say Olympia is like. I would recommend people come in person and look. Particularly on the definition of terms like artsy and quaint, I would NOT count on the opinion of someone else, matching our own.

OP - Come look - decide for yourself what areas suit you. You might be surprised and have opinions we can only guess at.

Hummm, it seemed as though in your first post, you spent a good deal of time pounding the OP because she asked for civilized living in a small town. Of course, you won’t find young professionals living in the woods with pick ups and guns. Why even mention something that absurd? She obviously dosen’t want to be around rougher types, like the kind you’d find around here or Centralia.

She wants what she wants and not everyone wants to live around lumberjacks and 24/7 partiers. Trying to pound her because she dosen’t agree with your views on small town life is counterproductive.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
Hey! Those oompah bands are creating jobs for out-of-work tuba players.
I had the impression they were volunteers? I love a GOOD oompah band. You know, like the kind they have in Bavaria. The Leavenworth ones are sad, bedraggled little affairs. Off-key.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Not all art is high-brow art.
lol. See above post.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:43 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Hummm, it seemed as though in your first post, you spent a good deal of time pounding the OP because she asked for civilized living in a small town. Of course, you won’t find young professionals living in the woods with pick ups and guns. Why even mention something that absurd?
LOL! You certainly will find lots of young professionals living in the woods with pickups and guns. Big ones! I don't want to argue with you, I really don't... but you're just so wrong about some of your assumptions about people.

I didn't "pound" her. I said she was trying to find a fairy tale version of rural Washington that doesn't exist. And I said it without insulting all the good people who DO live here, quite happily... myself, my family, my friends, my clients, my community.

Are you saying you disagree? Is there some place you want to point her to?

Taz, I'm sorry you hate it here, I really am. but it's not my fault.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-21-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 04:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OMG, don't inflict Leavenworth on the poor woman! It's the most HORRIBLY touristy town I've ever seen! And who wants to live with anemic oompah bands taking over downtown every weekend, all summer and into Oktoberfest? Ugh!
You never know. It might grow on you up there, lol!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:39 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
LOL! You certainly will find lots of young professionals living in the woods with pickups and guns. Big ones! I don't want to argue with you, I really don't... but you're just so wrong about some of your assumptions about people.

I didn't "pound" her. I said she was trying to find a fairy tale version of rural Washington that doesn't exist. And I said it without insulting all the good people who DO live here, quite happily... myself, my family, my friends, my clients, my community.

Are you saying you disagree? Is there some place you want to point her to?

Taz, I'm sorry you hate it here, I really am. but it's not my fault.
No Diana, you need to read some of your own posts and I suspect our definition of ‘professional’ varies somewhat. All that’s missing is the music when you start talking about rural living. You were trying to get a client but you were also trying to change the mindset of the OP and you were going on and on about it. It’s not impossible to find a clean area with a more educated population than Centralia and surrounding towns, she just needs to pay a bit more to get what she wants.

The fact is, someone like that will not find a rough area appealing in spite of the sales BS. Rural Washington has a number of losers and that is a fact. Your potential client is not going to warm up to people they have nothing in common with.

The last sentence is unnecessary since I’m discussing the OP. Thanks to you we live here, but I prefer not to dwell on it if you don’t mind. After our house closed, you were only to happy to post all your new toys on FB to show your friends. Well, you made your money off us, now please put a sock in it and stick to discussing the OP.

Last edited by Taz22; 09-21-2018 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 06:28 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Well, I'm in a part of Western Washington that must be right off the norm, according to most of the posters on here. Or are the only people on here people who are unhappy with where they live? If so, it's not too helpful.

The OP wants something bigger than the places you are discussing - and running down. That's obvious from his/her wish list. Just not a big city. Again, I would suggest the area between Seattle and the Canadian border, where a fair number of interesting places can be found. Being between two big cities but not in them has a lot of advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington