Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Well, the weather is certainly cooperating. I'll be interested to hear about your experience!
Wrong. (posting from Chuckanut) I wanted dark and gloom, it’s borderline hot up here. If you saw a guy walking around with a huge camera around his neck, flannel, and Chargers hat that was me. I’m trying to arrange transport to the beach at Larrabee, it seems far out and Lyft is really expensive up here. I’ll update later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
stick your thumb out

Old 10-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Folks....unless the amazing-ness of Bellingham kicks in soon, this trip has been....well my laptop is in Seattle so detailed post forthcoming.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:29 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Wrong. (posting from Chuckanut) I wanted dark and gloom, it’s borderline hot up here. If you saw a guy walking around with a huge camera around his neck, flannel, and Chargers hat that was me. I’m trying to arrange transport to the beach at Larrabee, it seems far out and Lyft is really expensive up here. I’ll update later.
LOL, well in your case I'm sorry. We had a very gloomy last month so many of us are excited for the sunny stretch of weather. 60 and sunny is a nice change.

In any case, I hope you're enjoying yourself. Larrabee is a bit far out for public or shared transportation, my suggestions would be to get a Lyft to the much closer Woodstock Farm and/or especially Teddy Bear Cove, where you'll get a very Larrabee-like setting. You can walk back via the Interurban Trail. Or a walk to Marine Park- right down from the train station is very nice and close.

Did you take the trail/path from Fairhaven to Downtown via Taylor Dock/South Bay to Boulevard Park? No Uber or Lyft necessary, and it's a beautiful walk- I can't think of a more scenic place to get a cup of coffee.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:36 PM

I took a $10 lyft from the bookstore in Fairhaven to Aslan.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I took a $10 lyft from the bookstore in Fairhaven to Aslan.
Well, you didn't take my suggestions about arguably the most enjoyable scenery and stroll in town.... And I have to say, you really had to try hard to have a bad experience in Bellingham on such a beautiful fall day, seriously. It's actually kind of amusing, but I'm genuinely sorry if I was way off with my take of what you may enjoy when visiting.

Honestly I've not run into anyone from Seattle or Vancouver or California (many of our friends are from NorCal or SoCal- they love it here, this is a popular day trip for Vancouverites and Seattleites) who didn't love the scenery or the relaxed vibe-especially on a day like today. And this is literally the first time I've ever heard of someone being upset with the weather being so nice....

So I'm a little thrown off. I don't know how it differs from my description, but hey- I tried to give you good information that seems to be (almost) universally well received. So who knows? Plenty of travel articles and lists of best places to visit and live feature Bellingham. Perhaps you were expecting a bigger city? My read is that you wanted a quintessentially NW experience and scenery with some cuter looking commercial areas and enough to keep you wandering around for a day. I fail to see how Bham let you down if that's the case. For logistics and directions on how to get around, you could have asked, and I would have told you more detail about what's accessible and what isn't. But here you are- it's a gorgeous day and you're sitting on the patio of a fun brewery, so I can't imagine that it's that bad.

Anyway, we have good public transportation, so you can save $9 and take the #1 bus back to Fairhaven- the station is a block away. Again, I'd suggest getting off at Boulevard Park, getting a cup of coffee at Woods, and then walking back via the boardwalk and Taylor Dock. It's a gorgeous 1 mile plus walk in Fairhaven. If you have extra time there, go to Fairhaven Stones Throw Brewery before hopping on the train, or maybe Black Cat or Keenan's on the Pier for the sunset. It's going to be a good one-

Hope your day improves!

Last edited by bartonizer; 10-15-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Didn’t say it was particularly bad, like I said detailed review forthcoming. I am going back to Fairhaven in a few minutes.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Didn’t say it was particularly bad, like I said detailed review forthcoming. I am going back to Fairhaven in a few minutes.
Great- I'll be interested to check it out-though it still sounds pretty negative. I never thought I'd say this, but sorry it was so beautiful and sunny today! At least put your camera to good use and capture the sunset at Marine Park or Taylor Dock. I don't recall using the word amazing as you mentioned earlier, but I will say that the sun going down at the aforementioned spots comes close.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 PM

It was people in Seattle saying amazing.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
It was people in Seattle saying amazing.
Well, for a lot of people in Seattle, Bellingham bears a resemblance to their neighborhoods in the pre-Amazon past. And a lot of people from the big NW cities come to Bham for a smaller, more intimate environment with much easier access to world class outdoor pursuits, like hiking, mountain biking, and skiing, without a corporate feel. It also has an interesting history, and could have easily developed into a much larger city had a few things broken in different directions, namely if it permanently became a western terminus for a major American or Canadian railroad in the late 1800's.

Anyway, Bellingham has a lot more going on, and is much more of a destination than many of the somewhat faceless suburbs or exurbs you previously asked about, so I thought it was safe to make suggestions about how to enjoy a relaxing day up here. And more scenic, safer and adventurous than Tacoma- hence the suggestion. You'd be hard pressed to find someone encouraging you to day trip to Tacoma, Everett, or Bellevue.

it's all about managing expectations, and obviously yours are a little different that most people expected, which is fine. But given your past posts and apparent preferences- including anything from Pac NW scenery to AMTRAK service, I still find it surprising that you seem to be let down from your visit. Again, I'm just left with the conclusion that you don't care much for smaller cities.

Last edited by bartonizer; 10-15-2018 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington