Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:11 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times

Advertisements

Years ago I did an in depth review of two cities (different state) regarding property crime and concluded the difference was reporting and methodology differences. Can be a dramatic difference is stats but not necessarily in actual crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,614 times
So can this thread now be closed, since we can no longer see the stats?

Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Small thefts of opportunity are drug fueled. Making pot legal does not make marijuana, meth, heroin free. Users might be free of legal prosecution, but they still must come up with the money to buy their drugs.

Meth is very closely tied to theft and burglary, and there are a lot of meth users in Washington, stealing to support their drug habit.
It's a shame that we don't crack down harder on meth users. This goes against what everyone else says but it makes me sad that the incarceration rate in the U.S is so low. Yes, I know it's high compared to most countries but our culture produces more scummy kind of people that need to be locked up including meth users. I wish our prison system was at least double the current size...If only we locked up more bad people we could bring our crime rate down to near zero and live in a near utopia.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Bottom line is that desperate people do desperate things.
It is that way every where.

Where I work the parking area is pretty secure.
No gates or anything security guards here it’s just well into our complex.
There are almost 200 people that work here.
Most leave there keys and wallets and items like that in there care because getting locked out after a long day with out you stuff really sucks.
Been here about 10 years and never heard of any theft or vandalism.
The thing is everyone gets paid well, very well, even for the Silicon Valley area.
Once people don’t have enough or do drugs then bad things happen .
Your mileage may vary.
Andy.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
Property crime should be taken seriously and burglars should do prison time. In Texas and other places you can shoot prowlers in your home and that's a great law. OH yeah, I'm a Trump-hating Democrat, but not liberal about everything.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:11 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default Obviously the lessons of the drug war were completely lost on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It's a shame that we don't crack down harder on meth users. This goes against what everyone else says but it makes me sad that the incarceration rate in the U.S is so low. Yes, I know it's high compared to most countries but our culture produces more scummy kind of people that need to be locked up including meth users. I wish our prison system was at least double the current size...If only we locked up more bad people we could bring our crime rate down to near zero and live in a near utopia.
Yes, because giving drug users long prison sentences will actually help their drug problem? You do realize that you can get drugs in prison right? You also realize that unless you give them a life sentence they are going to be right back in the community, YOUR COMMUNITY, as soon as they get out? Only now they are pissed off at society, have no skills, have a record and so can't get a job, or housing, so back to crime they will go, right?

California tried to build there way out of their crime problem. The spent billions. It didn't work. What they got out of that experiment is one of the largest and most powerful prison guard unions that now can influence politics in the state.

The only thing that has worked with drug addiction is legalize, tax, and regulate. Treating drug addition as a crime instead of a medical issue will just spend lots of money to no effect, just like the DEA has been doing all these years. If their "success" rate was equal to a company in the private sector they would have gone bankrupt long ago, but instead our government keeps funding the losers so they can say they are tough on crime.

Last edited by Beaconowner; 10-03-2018 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Property crime should be taken seriously and burglars should do prison time. In Texas and other places you can shoot prowlers in your home and that's a great law. OH yeah, I'm a Trump-hating Democrat, but not liberal about everything.
WA also effectively has castle doctrine. No duty to retreat from your home and you can use lethal force to defend yourself from a felony(which burglary is).
RCW 9A.16.050: Homicide
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.025

Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
The only thing that has worked with drug addiction is legalize, tax, and regulate. Treating drug addition as a crime instead of a medical issue will just spend lots of money to no effect, just like the DEA has been doing all these years. If their "success" rate was equal to a company in the private sector they would have gone bankrupt long ago, but instead our government keeps funding the losers so they can say they are tough on crime.
First of all, the thread is about "property crime" - I have no interest in turning theft into a medical condition. Property crimes SHOULD be treated as serious crimes.

I'm ambivalent about how to treat addiction... But THEFT there is no forgiveness for, from me.

If legalizing and regulating drugs is the solution, we wouldn't have an epidemic of prescription drug abuse in this country (not just Washington!). I am afraid the cause of the problem is human nature and human weakness. Some will always fall short.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:29 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Simple-no deterrent to criminals. WA has a revolving door "justice" system where criminals are just turned loose time after time to continue to prey on innocent victims. Most criminals you read about have a rap sheet that is pages long and have served only minimal prison time. Why wouldn't they continue to commit crime-they have never suffered any meaningful consequences.

There was a case a few years ago in Spokane where a car thief was shot in the act, by the car owner. It came out that he had been arrested 17 times previously for car theft. Guess what-when taken to trial the jury found the victim not guilty for assisting the criminal in assuming ambient temperature. The citizens (aka victims) have had enough-but sadly WA's legal system is dictated by the West side.

WA is far from the only state with this issue-Idaho is sadly far too lenient on crime as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington