Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 10:43 AM

408 posts, read 430,500 times

Advertisements

Does anyone take this fast ferry on a daily basis to commute to/from Seattle? Just wondering what you think of it. Is it reliable? Hassle-free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 05:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Have you tried it. Try it on a dry run and see how you feel about using the Fast Ferry. From what I have read it takes 30 minutes either way from Seattle to Bremerton.
They are a walk on Ferry.

When the Wife and I visited Seattle last September. We took the Mukilteo to Clinton (Whidbey Island, and back ), Regular Ferry to visit the Whidbey and the Naval Air Station. The Ferry was on time and left on time also coming and going every 30 minutes. Took 30 minutes to get there to Whidbey Island, and back, a shorter run still a good time. Two Ferries left at the same time and they crossed by each other coming and going. I am sure the fast Ferry From Seattle to Bremerton would operate simular. The only issues was driving aboard and getting on during the day was to miss rush hour because in the morning and afternoon rush hour the waiting lines backed up. Not during the midday runs when we got on, after rush hour.

Here is the link.
Fast Ferry | Kitsap Transit

Last edited by ScottStielow; 09-28-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I'm trying this for the first time this week. I'm doing the reverse commute, however. The online reservation system was a real PITA to try to use. It took my husband and I way too long (embarrassed to say how long, exactly) to figure it out. While searching for help in using that reservation system, I noticed a few articles on how overwhelmed the system is and how hard it is for people to reserve their slots to get to Seattle. So if you're thinking of the Bremerton-Seattle commute, I'd look around to see what others have written.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:58 AM

6 posts, read 4,947 times
I live in Bremerton and work in downtown Seattle and commute every day via the fast ferry. I've used it since service began in July, 2017. Its not perfect, the main issue being that its too popular, and the busiest sailings are usually full (6:45 AM Bremerton to Seattle, and 3:55/5:10 Seattle to Bremerton). You can get on without a reservation, but have to get to the dock 20-40 minutes before the boat leaves. On the positive side, they are building two more boats. One will be a backup and the other will (hopefully) be expanding service. Also, service from Kingston to Seattle starts this month, and that boat is a lot bigger.

I LOVE the service. I've lived in Kitsap County since 2015, and have used several different methods of commuting (Water Taxi to Vashon Island and switching to the WSF at Vashon; Southworth-West Seattle and taking a bus; and taking the Bremerton-Seattle WSF). Its quick, and there's not a huge crowd to deal with like on the car ferries.

I agree that the online reservation system is confusing and oddly set-up. Its buggy too.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Now that I've taken this ferry from Seattle to Bremerton (morning) and returned in the afternoon, I can say it was an easy and quick crossing, and had lots of room going the direction I was gone at the times I was going. The reverse, however, was jam packed. Completely full.

I had a little difficulty figuring out how to work it all on the "going there" trip. Luckily, super nice people on that ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington