Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 PM

131 posts, read 323,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
"Using Lake Whatcom Reservoir for recreation and ultra-expensive homes may have been a good idea 20 years ago, but not so much now."

Our water quality is listed as "compromised" due to this. The main contaminant is phosphorous, and the lake is also low in dissolved oxygen. Phosphorous is typically found in fertilizers and detergents. At least the issue with sewage overflowing into the lake seems to be solved for now.
The city/county sewer is within 5' of the lake edge in some places. All the homes sewers are connected with plain old rubber couplings. Every time I see a drain cleaning truck at a house on the lake, I wonder if their house sewer is leaking into the lake from their root-broke pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 06:42 PM

131 posts, read 323,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So not true (the bolded)! Quit the hyperbole. No one's fooled. The WA State university system has very good benefits.

Conservatives don't see past the next pay period, either. Short-term thinking has been the name of the game for a very long time.

Re: the underlined--more nonsense. I know people employed at WWU who don't fit your descriptions, and they've been very happy there.
McDonald's isn't as bad as you think. I'd rather work there than WWU. WWU is the new Evergreen State College since Evergreen is on the outs with all the liberals.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
McDonald's isn't as bad as you think. I'd rather work there than WWU. WWU is the new Evergreen State College since Evergreen is on the outs with all the liberals.
To each his/her own. You flip burgers, I'll handle admin stuff at WWU.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM

353 posts, read 934,577 times
Quote:
To each his/her own. You flip burgers, I'll handle admin stuff at WWU.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
The city/county sewer is within 5' of the lake edge in some places. All the homes sewers are connected with plain old rubber couplings. Every time I see a drain cleaning truck at a house on the lake, I wonder if their house sewer is leaking into the lake from their root-broke pipe.
Yuck. The amount of chlorine in the water is near the higher end of normal, I wonder if that's why?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Yuck. The amount of chlorine in the water is near the higher end of normal, I wonder if that's why?
Yuck, is right. Like you, I grew up here and slowly, the water quality deteriorated. It has accelerated over the past decade or two due to overbuilding in the watershed. Plus, people who live along the lake won’t give up their two stroke motors, at least that is what I last heard. At least, people have been educated about not fertilizing their lawns with phosphorus-laden chemicals.

When I was a kid, my cousin lived on the south side of town, Happy Valley, and she would brag that her domestic water was better than ours as it came from Lake Padden which had no development and a perimeter fence. Now, it is a city park and it’s water is being compromised by the surrounding development.

I visit my mom on the north side of town and always bring my own water. Bellingham water tastes so nasty after having our well water which is filtered.

Growth has its price.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:54 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
I would guess that it's due to fertilizers and laundry/dish/car wash detergents leaching through into the water from various sources. Our fridge has a carbon filter in it and I use that water for everything. The filter only seems to last around 6 months and it's around the size of a 1-liter bottle, so obviously a lot of yuck is getting filtered out.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Yuck, is right. Like you, I grew up here and slowly, the water quality deteriorated. It has accelerated over the past decade or two due to overbuilding in the watershed. Plus, people who live along the lake won’t give up their two stroke motors, at least that is what I last heard. At least, people have been educated about not fertilizing their lawns with phosphorus-laden chemicals.

When I was a kid, my cousin lived on the south side of town, Happy Valley, and she would brag that her domestic water was better than ours as it came from Lake Padden which had no development and a perimeter fence. Now, it is a city park and it’s water is being compromised by the surrounding development.

I visit my mom on the north side of town and always bring my own water. Bellingham water tastes so nasty after having our well water which is filtered.

Growth has its price.
Wow. I'm learning so much on these B'ham threads!

There are a couple of reservoirs in Seattle neighborhoods, that still have fences around the perimeter. I don't see why fences would be eliminated, just because the city has grown to surround the reservoirs. It doesn't make sense that a city would allow its water supply to become compromised. Is that poor planning by city leaders, or what's up with that?

Old 11-05-2018, 12:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Wow. I'm learning so much on these B'ham threads!

There are a couple of reservoirs in Seattle neighborhoods, that still have fences around the perimeter. I don't see why fences would be eliminated, just because the city has grown to surround the reservoirs. It doesn't make sense that a city would allow its water supply to become compromised. Is that poor planning by city leaders, or what's up with that?
Lake Padden is no longer a water supply, and is now a great in-town park: https://www.cob.org/services/recreat...dden-park.aspx. That's why it has no perimeter fence surrounding it.

Regarding fencing in Lake Whatcom, it would be a ridiculous large and controversial project. The lake is 13 miles long, and at some places well over a mile wide. The water is pulled and diverted through pipes and tunnels from several basins within the lake. Here's a little more about the water supply and treatment of it: Water Supply and Treatment - Lake Whatcom Management Program.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Lake Padden is no longer a water supply, and is now a great in-town park: https://www.cob.org/services/recreat...dden-park.aspx. That's why it has no perimeter fence surrounding it.
Thank you. This makes much more sense. And yes, it's a beautiful park!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer;
Regarding fencing in Lake Whatcom, it would be a ridiculous large and controversial project. The lake is 13 miles long, and at some places well over a mile wide. The water is pulled and diverted through pipes and tunnels from several basins within the lake. Here's a little more about the water supply and treatment of it: Water Supply and Treatment - Lake Whatcom Management Program.
Thanks for all the info you post on here, in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington