Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 04:52 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,603 times

Advertisements

I used to boat quite a bit, no cruiser yacht here of course just a run-about. Bellingham is one of the stops for those running around the sound or doing the inside passage, and there is some stuff to do right at the harbor within walking distance (tons of choices for restaurants, go sightsee, and get marine supplies/services)which makes it nice. Bellingham and Anacortes have places to do laundry and get a shower right at the harbor. The reason I bailed on boating is because like most things in Bellingham we've got the same ole infrastructure from the 80's now serving a ton of people, and I was spending more time waiting to launch, retrieve, and park than I was on the water unless I launched at 4am or went when the weather was bad. For mooring and guest docks, they are often full with waiting lists so one has to plan, don't expect to just show up and find a spot to tie your boat up. To make it worse, the 2 gravel overflow lots for trucks and boat trailers were developed so we lost about half our parking for the boat launch.
That's the point I have been trying to make for several years, that Bellingham does offer some great experiences, BUT it is now over-sold as there is just too many people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:46 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I used to boat quite a bit, no cruiser yacht here of course just a run-about. Bellingham is one of the stops for those running around the sound or doing the inside passage, and there is some stuff to do right at the harbor within walking distance (tons of choices for restaurants, go sightsee, and get marine supplies/services)which makes it nice. Bellingham and Anacortes have places to do laundry and get a shower right at the harbor. The reason I bailed on boating is because like most things in Bellingham we've got the same ole infrastructure from the 80's now serving a ton of people, and I was spending more time waiting to launch, retrieve, and park than I was on the water unless I launched at 4am or went when the weather was bad. For mooring and guest docks, they are often full with waiting lists so one has to plan, don't expect to just show up and find a spot to tie your boat up. To make it worse, the 2 gravel overflow lots for trucks and boat trailers were developed so we lost about half our parking for the boat launch.
That's the point I have been trying to make for several years, that Bellingham does offer some great experiences, BUT it is now over-sold as there is just too many people here.
Thanks, this was informative.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:39 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
This past week of snow has caused bad road conditions considering how little snow we received (6'' this whole week). I've driven on roads where I was the first to create a track because the plow trucks don't consider it important enough until after the snow has finished falling. All the Bellingham people from work didn't show up during most/all of the week and I can guess why.

Tell me again, why doesn't Whatcom county use salt? Is it to protect the antique-car tradition here?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:34 AM

130 posts, read 323,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
This past week of snow has caused bad road conditions considering how little snow we received (6'' this whole week). I've driven on roads where I was the first to create a track because the plow trucks don't consider it important enough until after the snow has finished falling. All the Bellingham people from work didn't show up during most/all of the week and I can guess why.

Tell me again, why doesn't Whatcom county use salt? Is it to protect the antique-car tradition here?
lol...or all the un-shoveled driveways and sidewalks! We had a renter down the street (California tags) who couldn't figure out how to get up their 20' driveway. Seriously, it took them 4 hours to get their Toyota car onto the street. Their solution? They immediately bought a $60k Toyota four-wheeler.

It isn't a Californian problem, either. Most locals are too lazy to shovel snow or spread de-icer.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:47 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friesbruh View Post
Have considered moving to Whatcom County or maybe B-ham. Havent been to either personally but it sure looks like it might be a good for for some folks who may like the big city with an easy escape elsewhere, whether via BHI or just taking a drive east in to areas more remote
It's more of a "large town" than "big city," so is great for those who like that, but for a big city you'd have to head north or south to Everett or Vancouver BC.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:24 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I'd say its a small rapidly growing city that used to be a great town until it was "discovered".

Old 02-01-2020, 11:55 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4evr View Post
Diversity mantra? I was just saying we wish there was more diversity. It's easy for an area to tout liberalism and acceptance. It would be nice to see more of the population that the city supposedly wants to be accepting of... Just my opinion.

Not saying there is a "problem" with a majority white area but it is really not very reflective of our world today. I think it benefits all of us to be exposed to / live with different cultures and people. I've lived in a couple of small towns that were primarily white. I would prefer not to live in an area like that again. I felt a real disconnect between those communities and the world at large. Again, just my opinion. Bellingham is not as diverse as Seattle or San Francisco, but there is a greater variety of cultures here than what I found in Eastern Washington. I like the differences I've seen. Those differences make an impact on me and change my life; I don't make the change to the place.

Where did I move from? Ha... I'm not from outside of the PNW. I am a born in Washington state native. Raised primarily in Eastern Washington. Lived in Seattle for 20 years. WSU and Seattle U graduate. I worked in Bellingham in the late 1980's as part of my territory for a job I had in Seattle. I chose to move here for educational opportunities, cooler weather, the size of the city and location. I assumed, incorrectly, that Bellingham would be much more diverse than it is. I've never tried to "change" Bellingham or anyplace I've ever moved to (yes, I have lived outside of WA state and the USA) to "be more like the place (I) left".

If that is what upsets you the most about newcomers coming into Bellingham - and if you are the voice for "us locals" - then I wish you'd be more upset about the impact of investors in the housing market, medical care, rental costs, heroin/opioid use in Whatcom County, environmental impacts and traffic instead of being upset if someone who moved here says they would welcome more diversity. Guess we have a difference in priorities. Those are issues I would be concerned about as a "local". I hope all locals don't really feel as you do.

Personally, I don't think "outsiders" moving here are supporting this agenda you seem to think they have -trying to change Bellingham to make it less White... I think it's the opposite. Bellingham is being gentrified. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of people are attracted to Bellingham because it is still primarily white and at the same time they can appear to be politically correct to live in a "liberal" area. How hip. Yes, I am being sarcastic. I'm white but not wealthy. In the few years I've lived here, I feel like Bellingham is morphing into the epic center for wealthy, white, I-only-care-about-me types. I just re-read a post I wrote on my first impressions of Bellingham and time has significantly changed my outlook. I was so impressed by the warmth and kindness of people I first met, how no-one seemed to be glued to their cell phones all the time... My goodness - how times and the personality of this place have changed since then. The one thing I do still love about it here is the proximity to gorgeous places one can escape to.

RE: the design... I was not impressed with it. It was pretty ho-hum, non-impressive imo. I was just saying I'm fine with the message / intent behind it... and disputing what Baldy said the Mayor said.
It looks like we agree on many points especially about investors and housing. There is a proposal to demolish 2 motels on Samish Way and build 2 5 story apartment buildings that will have market rents. Market rents are not aimed at lower income people no matter what ethnicity they are. One of my wealthy neighbors demolished a decent home and built a 1.5 million dollar one.

I live in a gentrifying area and my property taxes and insurance are rising substantially. It used to be a blue collar middle class neighborhood but now it is upper middle and professional. It was white and is white.

Bellingham has always been majority white and that is the culture I am most comfortable with having grown up here. It is reflective of my world. Most people prefer to hang with their own culture. On CD I see postings about certain cultures wanting to live where there are those like themselves. This is particularly prevalent in the East Indian communities. Kshama Sawant, a Seattle council member from India, recently brought up a topic on India’s immigration changes. She was elected to deal with Seattle’s issues. She is now on a witch hunt to tax employers whose employees earn $150,000+.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure I understand the bolded. There are many empty lots up for sale in the city; some people are building their homes from scratch. And there have been small developments around the edges of town, here and there. I guess what you're saying, is that the numbers don't add up; the influx is exceeding all the new builds, as well as sales of existing homes?
One of the reasons building a new home in Bellingham is so expensive is the permit cost. I spoke with several builders last month who told me permits run from $35,000 to $50,000 for new construction. The only people I know in Bellingham and Whatcom County who are building new homes are medical professionals.

I drove out near Northwest Avenue last month and there were blocks of new homes, all close together and very similar in appearance. They reminded me of the song about tricky tacky little boxes. That seems to be what people can afford.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:41 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
One of the reasons building a new home in Bellingham is so expensive is the permit cost. I spoke with several builders last month who told me permits run from $35,000 to $50,000 for new construction. The only people I know in Bellingham and Whatcom County who are building new homes are medical professionals.

I drove out near Northwest Avenue last month and there were blocks of new homes, all close together and very similar in appearance. They reminded me of the song about tricky tacky little boxes. That seems to be what people can afford.
That sounds like an "affordable housing" development. They skimp on yard space, including side yards in-between the buildings, to cut down on RE costs, for one thing. And certain aspects of local building code may be waived, so that electrical wiring short-cuts and other economizing measures can be taken, to make the homes "affordable". They may have slab floors, no crawl space.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That sounds like an "affordable housing" development. They skimp on yard space, including side yards in-between the buildings, to cut down on RE costs, for one thing. And certain aspects of local building code may be waived, so that electrical wiring short-cuts and other economizing measures can be taken, to make the homes "affordable". They may have slab floors, no crawl space.
I believe you are correct about being those homes being more moderately priced. That makes sense. They will probably sell for around $350,000+. But, that is a price point more people can afford rather than the median price which is $472,900 last October according to a local paper.

But, there are 5 story apartments being planned where 2 motels now stand. The developer states they will be market rate which is more than low or moderate income folks can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington