Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Ah man...

Did you know it’s only a 2 degree water temp difference from Victoria to the Carmel/Monterey area.
Ogden point is worth a look😊.
Andy.
NO-o-o! No WAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Yup.
It’s the truth Ruth.
Temps do change but on an average it is no more than a 4 degree temp difference between Ogden Point and Monterey
Both areas have a theormocline at depth.
I have dove both areas with in 2-3 days apart numerous times and my dive computer’s history log is telling me this.
Odd huh🤔?
High 50’s low 60’s
There is a warm water current that does this I believe.
I also dive wrecks and hunt lobster in Southern California.
Mainly the Chanel Islands and San Diego.
That means just south of Santa Barbara to San Diego.
Those temps are between 8 and 12 degrees warmer than Monterey depending on the dive site and they are only 2-4 hundred miles south .
Odd huh?
But after a thousand plus dives that my finding.
Monterey has a deep canyon that affects this as well, so there is that.
Thanks again.
Andy.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Andy,

That's very interesting. So you are talking more about water temperatures at dive depths? I've watched surface temps for surfing/paddleboarding and they seem to vary more especially during winter months. I also know a guy who grew up surfing the PNW. And says its quite a bit colder requiring a much thicker wetsuits including, booties, gloves & hood. He mentioned ocean temps dropping into the 40s in the winter.

Currently, Monterey surface temp has been hovering ~ 59°. I just checked Ogden Point at it says 50°, Port Angeles 51°. Maybe once one dives down there is less of a gap? La Push, WA is currently 52°.

Derek

Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Yup.
It’s the truth Ruth.
Temps do change but on an average it is no more than a 4 degree temp difference between Ogden Point and Monterey
Both areas have a theormocline at depth.
I have dove both areas with in 2-3 days apart numerous times and my dive computer’s history log is telling me this.
Odd huh��?
High 50’s low 60’s
There is a warm water current that does this I believe.
I also dive wrecks and hunt lobster in Southern California.
Mainly the Chanel Islands and San Diego.
That means just south of Santa Barbara to San Diego.
Those temps are between 8 and 12 degrees warmer than Monterey depending on the dive site and they are only 2-4 hundred miles south .
Odd huh?
But after a thousand plus dives that my finding.
Monterey has a deep canyon that affects this as well, so there is that.
Thanks again.
Andy.
IDK; parts of Monterey Bay are in the 60's, at least in summer. Puget Sound is in the mid- to high 40's in the summer. I've done plenty of swimming in both. If you're talking about deep diving, then I wouldn't know. But that's not what your original statement said. If you're talking about dive depths, your original statement (which I bolded, upthread) was misleading.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Ruth, swimming depth temps in Puget Sound in summer are in the 50s, not the 40s.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Ruth, swimming depth temps in Puget Sound in summer are in the 50s, not the 40s.
This is what we need the OP to clarify. Still, a "sometimes" situation wouldn't warrant a broad generalization, either, even if you narrow the statement down to depth temps.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I still stand by my statement.
So I just now googled it and came up with a seven degree average temperature difference.
There are some factors like location and depth of the location but from my observations it wasn’t a big difference

Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I misread your post. Swimming temps are in the high 40's. Maybe it depends on what part of the Sound? Maybe occasionally the edge into the low 50's? Out in the San Juans, they're in the high 40's, usually. Or is that not Puget Sound? Maybe that's where our discrepancy lies.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Shallow water temps (not necessarily SCUBA dive temps) in summer are in the 50s, generally. I checked water data sometimes when we lived there. It felt like 50s to me, definitely not as cold as 40s (in summer). I used to wear a watch that had a thermometer function, when I was learning to roll a kayak in CO, long before we lived in WA. So I got used to knowing water temps by feel, and anyway I looked at NOAA marine data for Puget Sound area also.

There is at least one spot in the San Juans where the water was noticeably colder, but that was a known oddity, not typical. I don’t know where you are getting 40-degree water in swimming-depth waters of Puget Sound in summer. Occasionally it RISES even up to 60 or so, but again that is not the case overall. I remember a blazing hot day at Whitney Point where the water was said to get into the high 60s sometimes and it did that day.

So I would say MechAndy’s figures are closer to the mark regardless whether swimming or diving. In WINTER, in the coldest stretches, the water temp did drop as low as 45 degrees. That is the coldest I checked, anyway.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Sea surface temperatures in Monterrey Bay

Sea surface temperatures in Puget Sound. I picked Bainbridge Island at random

Source: https://www.seatemperature.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington