Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times

Advertisements

To give a little bit of background about myself, I was born in St. Louis and currently live in south Florida. I HATE the heat. I mean, I really hate it. Obviously, moving here was a bad idea. I didn't particularly like the weather extremes in St. Louis, either (95F with 100% humidity in the summer, 10F with 2 inches of ice in the winter). The climate of the Pacific northwest has always appealed to me, though I've never been there (I do plan on visiting at least a couple times before moving). I don't mind overcast weather, in fact, I prefer it to having to wear sunglasses every single day. So overall, the weather sounds good to me, but in reading some other threads, I've seen people mention heat and humidity in Tacoma, during the summer. Is this true? Or is it an exaggeration?

After reading through many threads, I'm starting to think the Gig Harbor area, in particular, might be what I'm looking for. I have some questions, though. Keep in mind, I would be moving to the area in 2-3 years.

What is the commute like to Tacoma (bridge) and Seattle (ferry)?

Is there any way to travel directly from Lakebay to Olympia, or is the only current option to go Gig Harbor->Tacoma->Olympia? If the latter is true, are there any plans to open up that route?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 AM

103 posts, read 503,567 times
Any commute Tacoma north is horrible in comparison to the rest of the state.
Traveling south on I-5, other than between 3-7 p.m. from Tacoma south is a fairly quick trip.

I grew up in the PNW and moved to Mo. about a year ago. Trust me, PNW residents have no idea what real humidity actually is.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 AM

454 posts, read 905,333 times
The bridge from Gig to Tacoma will soon be a toll bridge. The new bridge will be done by that time, so assume a toll of at least $3 per trip. The ferry ride from Gig to Seattle would not be a very good option. The drive time from Gig to Bremerton is about 40 minutes, 5-20 minute wait time to load, then a one hour ferry trip, then commute time to work, so expect a 2 hour commute minumum.

Summers in Seattle are nothing compared to what you are used to. A HOT day is in the mid 80's with 70% humidity. There are the odd days that get over 90. Be aware that most people do not have A/C in their houses.

It is possible to avoid the Gig, Tac. Oly commute but this would mean going down hwy 1 which takes considerably longer than using the I-5 corridor.

There are numberous areas to live here with a variety of lifestyles. What are you looking for as an ideal location?

Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
I am also considering a move to the seattle/tacoma area, and have decided that gig harbor might be a good option. I would like to purchase small acreage 1-5 acres, and it appears that Gig Harbor has open space, and is near the ocean. It also looks like a short commute to Tacoma.

Does anyone have any other areas with small acreage, and a short commute time to seattle/tacoma?

Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 23,542 times
Gig Harbor is not near the ocean - it is on/near the Puget Sound. There are a lot of towns around Tacoma - but to be honest with you - that bridge (the narrows bridge from the Gig Harbor Side to Tacoma) is ALWAYS packed and ALWAYS a back up. The second bridge is supposed to be a toll but they will not have "fast pass" so everyone will have to stop and pay anyway (ridiculous if you ask me but apparently common sense did not play a roll in the toll creation!).

Tacoma is a nice place to live - and there are nice houses in the north end!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 AM

131 posts, read 184,061 times
We are also getting ready to leave Fl. (Destin area) to hot for us!! We are heading for Everett as soon as we liquidate our properties. Glad to hear we are not the only ones who find the heat here oppressive.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Is there any way to travel directly from Lakebay to Olympia, or is the only current option to go Gig Harbor->Tacoma->Olympia? ....
Some people take 302 to 3 and pick up 101 at Shelton. In case the Tacoma Narrows bridge is closed, it's about the only reasonable alternate route.

I did meet one fellow, a few years ago, who used to commute by boat; kept a junker at a marina in Oly and did it that way, but I think he lived down in the Longbranch area (south of Lakebay), but that's not an option for most people.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerrayne View Post
Gig Harbor is not near the ocean - it is on/near the Puget Sound. There are a lot of towns around Tacoma - but to be honest with you - that bridge (the narrows bridge from the Gig Harbor Side to Tacoma) is ALWAYS packed and ALWAYS a back up. The second bridge is supposed to be a toll but they will not have "fast pass" so everyone will have to stop and pay anyway (ridiculous if you ask me but apparently common sense did not play a roll in the toll creation!).

Tacoma is a nice place to live - and there are nice houses in the north end!

Compared to St.Louis, anywhere is a nice place to live - referring to crime only. Wish St. Louis was safer, I would go there.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 AM

6 posts, read 54,446 times
Seems that quite a few people from Florida are heading to the PNW! What is the worst possible place to live in WA? As far as crime? What about taxes....are they high and where is the lowest? What are the Ins. rates like (Home, Car, Renters)?

Sharon

Old 03-29-2007, 09:44 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Hi crime cities with Miami rating school systems are - Tacoma and Everett.

Fortunelty, Washington state is not a "hot market" like Florida so you will not be shocked with outragious increase in market values. Property taxes are high especially in King County - as I deal with real estate nation wide. Insurance varies of course by location. Tacoma rates are outragiously high due to the claims.

Puyallup was more affordable for auto insurance last time I checked. You should shop around with different insurance companies for areas/rates. They change often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington