Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 10:13 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Is the water deep or shallow off shore?
If it’s shallow it could get scary.

I think relatively speaking, it's a shallow beach... not a lot of slope. And the worst part, for Ocean Shores and Long Beach, is that it's a long ways to high ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 11:58 AM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think relatively speaking, it's a shallow beach... not a lot of slope. And the worst part, for Ocean Shores and Long Beach, is that it's a long ways to high ground.
Somewhat similar situation for Westport - if everyone tries to evacuate at once, the tidal wave will hit them stuck and sitting in their cars. Part of the spice of beach living. Westport does have high dunes (along Cohassett Beach) and a Tsunami shelter (Ocasta Elementary School).

Old 10-30-2021, 05:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Ruth that would have been the Fukushima earthquake/tsunami in 2011.
4’ waves hit several marinas hard doing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
This tsunami hit from Ft. Bragg down to Monterey and well into the SF Bay.
The damages might even be in the millions with all the boats crashing on the docks.

California’s coast for the most part is deep water if it were shallow there would have been more damage and more warning signs.

I heard the Tsunami warning up north.
It was loud as heck, lasted about 3-4 minutes and was a solid 4 miles away.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Ruth that would have been the Fukushima earthquake/tsunami in 2011.
4’ waves hit several marinas hard doing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
This tsunami hit from Ft. Bragg down to Monterey and well into the SF Bay.
The damages might even be in the millions with all the boats crashing on the docks.

California’s coast for the most part is deep water if it were shallow there would have been more damage and more warning signs.

I heard the Tsunami warning up north.
It was loud as heck, lasted about 3-4 minutes and was a solid 4 miles away.
Oh, thanks, I remember that. It messed up some of the boats at the marina in Santa Cruz; it moved up the river from the beach. Wow, 2011! Time flies, doesn't it?

Old 10-30-2021, 07:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
In recent years Oregon has set up an elaborate tsunami evacuation route system. I don’t recall this along the WA coast but maybe someone can correct me.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
In recent years Oregon has set up an elaborate tsunami evacuation route system. I don’t recall this along the WA coast but maybe someone can correct me.

There's signs indicating tsunami evacuation routes all along the coast. Is that what you mean?

https://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/de...ation_maps.php

Old 10-30-2021, 07:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There's signs indicating tsunami evacuation routes all along the coast. Is that what you mean?

https://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/de...ation_maps.php
Yes, but I guess they seem more frequent along the OR coast than WA.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,799 times
Default Thank you for vast amount of information.

I am currently considering potentially moving to the WA coast due to its affordability and the fact that I work entirely remote. I know nothing about the area, so this forum has been incredibly helpful for me to grasp the philosophy behind the existence there. Just wanted to express my gratitude. I will be driving around this weekend and could share my thoughts as well.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:48 PM

Hope you have fun this weekend! Do update us on what you learn. It seems like at least today, you may have pretty good weather!

Old 01-06-2024, 07:19 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavchek24 View Post
I am currently considering potentially moving to the WA coast due to its affordability and the fact that I work entirely remote. I know nothing about the area, so this forum has been incredibly helpful for me to grasp the philosophy behind the existence there. Just wanted to express my gratitude. I will be driving around this weekend and could share my thoughts as well.
Note: Aberdeen, Hoquiam, Westport, etc., have Comcast for Internet. Ocean Shores has Coast Communications, which charges 1) $99.95 for 250Mbps/375GB data cap, 2) $124.90 fior 250Mbps/unlimited data, and 3) $154.90 for "1 Gig Unleashed".

https://coastcommunications.com/products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington