Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,125 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am curious how easy the transition would be to move to Vashon. I am interviewing for a position at the Corps of Engineers in West Seattle. Vashon seems like a great, obvious choice. Am I missing anything? My wife would be looking for graphic design work and probably take the passenger only ferry to downtown. How is the public transportation on the Pier 50 and Fauntleroy sides? Do people rent parking spots and leave their cars there? Currently we live in Colorado, will sure miss the skiing, but ready for a change. I think that we'd have to wait for her to get a job until we purchased. What is the best site to find Vashon long term rentals, and private for sale by owner, fixer upper type homes? I am thinking that we could spend around 350 - which would be a tough one. Also, what are the hidden costs, i.e. - how much does it cost per month to commute and on the ferry - and what is the easiest/best/closest route and how long to a ski area?

Thank you for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 10:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
Biggest drawback to Vashon is living and dieing on the ferry schedule and the fact that it's King County, so you have to live with King county rules (more restrictive than say Kitsap county).

Ski area, Snoqualmie, etc is within, like, 1/2 hour maybe 45 minutes? Mapquest it and you'll know for sure.

Good luck with the move.

Tony

Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,320 times
Default vashon

Moving to vashon is tough.
You are reliant on the ferries, the passenger ferry to downtown is under constant threat of being discontinued, so you can't count on it. The ferry costs about 20 bucks to ride and an additional 5 bucks or so per passenger (other than the driver). The passenger only ferry to downtown is 8 or so.
Buying things on island is expensive. Buying them off island is bad for the island economy, is looked down upon, plus you have to factor in the price of the ferry ride. And the time. Ferries don't take you to seattle when they show up - they are on a schedule. So you drive to the ferry dock arriving at least 15 minutes early (or more, and often the boat is late) you wait in line, load onto the boat and have a ferry ride, unload from the boat and drive to your destination. Getting back to the island is usually a much longer wait somehow, unless you are traveling before 7 am or between 10am and 2 pm or after 11 pm.
It is a beautiful place, but if you are looking for accessible to west seattle, it isn't that great. Maybe look for homes in west seattle, it is well into it's revitalization stage.
If you could live here and not work off island it would be reasonable. It's a great place for kids, but not for singles. Most people who move are coupled up.
The other thing is it is not diverse at all. I hate that. It's 95% white at least and mostly people with money. Ugh.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
When you factor in the ferry and how expensive housing is, it's only a good choice for the retired, wealthy, or self employed. Save Vashon for your day trips when you want to get away. As far as a working equation, it doesn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington