Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Subsidizes Who?
Western Washington subsidizes Eastern Washington. 14 66.67%
Eastern Washington subsidizes Western Washington. 1 4.76%
Neither. All in all, it is a wash. 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Washington doesn't have state income taxes. And yes you have to buy lottery tickets.
Oh, does that mean I can refuse to pay my portion of the state property tax?? How about refusing to pay sales taxes?? As a business can I refuse to pay my B&O tax?? Oh, wait... I collect sales taxes for the state of Washington...can I keep those???

All state's have taxes. AND as a political science professor said..." they collect them at the point of a gun".

That is YOU do not have the option NOT to pay your taxes.

Just because Washington state does not have a income tax, does not mean that you don't pay taxes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 02:41 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
King County ($ in millions):

Expenditures: M1: $4,674.2 (27.04%), M2: $3,218.5 (18.62%), M3: 3,946.3 (22.8%)
Revenues: $7,341.2 (42.48%)
Exp/Rev Ratio: M1: 0.64, M2: 0.44, M3: 0.54

Spokane County:

Expenditures: M1: $1,301.3 (7.53%), M2: 1,241.0 (7.18%), M3: 1,271.1 (7.35%)
Revenues: $1,018.3 (5.89%)
Exp/Rev Ratio: M1: 1.28, M2: 1.22, M3: 1.25

M1 = Expenditures Allocated by Benefits Received
M2 = Expenditures Allocated by Location Expenditure Occurred
M2 = Averages of Methods 1 & 2

Old 12-27-2018, 03:27 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Why is this important?
I am more concerned when I subsidize other people!

And nobody's 'seceding' from anyplace in the U.S. to reform multiple 'new' states.
No other state would tolerate it.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Why is this important?
I am more concerned when I subsidize other people!

And nobody's 'seceding' from anyplace in the U.S. to reform multiple 'new' states.
No other state would tolerate it.
From a purely economic perspective, Seattle and King County residents should want to secede and form their own state, since they provide 42% of the state's tax revenues, but get only 23-27% of the state's expenditures back. The rest of the state would, of course, never let that happen, simply because they know a gravy train when they see it.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
From a purely economic perspective, Seattle and King County residents should want to secede and form their own state, since they provide 42% of the state's tax revenues, but get only 23-27% of the state's expenditures back. The rest of the state would, of course, never let that happen, simply because they know a gravy train when they see it.
LOL! I figured from the beginning that the only reason for this super informative and helpful poll () was so you could take jabs at Eastern Washington. Looks like I was right...

Old 12-28-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It is pretty amazing how much tax revenue King County generates, even with all the corporate tax breaks given to them by the Democrats.

Yep, we would let King County go....if they took the rest of western Washington with them!!

There is more to life than money.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
LOL! I figured from the beginning that the only reason for this super informative and helpful poll () was so you could take jabs at Eastern Washington. Looks like I was right...
Are you saying King County isn't a "gravy train"? And not just for eastern Washington...

To be informed, peruse the data I linked to. I said that King County residents should be in favor of becoming their own state, based on economic self-interest alone, but not that they would be. In this case, politics trumps economics. You're not going to get two more "red" senators. Join Idaho, on the other hand? Have at it.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Are you saying King County isn't a "gravy train"? And not just for eastern Washington...

To be informed, peruse the data I linked to. I said that King County residents should be in favor of becoming their own state, based on economic self-interest alone, but not that they would be. In this case, politics trumps economics. You're not going to get two more "red" senators. Join Idaho, on the other hand? Have at it.
The serious discussion is a new state in eastern Washington in exchange for Puerto Rico becoming a state. So it all might depend on the future status of Puerto Rico.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:

I'm saying that a your whole thread is totally flawed and pointless, for all these reasons:

1) As already stated, you are asking for an opinion poll to obtain something that is a fact.

2) A pollster should be at least outwardly unbiased. Which you're not.

3) All of this has been re-hashed many times. Your citation was regurgitated from another thread. And in fact, I'm fairly sure that you and 509 have had the exact same argument in multiple other threads.

I asked in the second post of this thread what the point of this thread/poll was, and I was hoping it was to create discussion, rather than just be a chance for you to get back on your soap box. But, no...

Old 12-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I'm saying that a your whole thread is totally flawed and pointless, for all these reasons:

1) As already stated, you are asking for an opinion poll to obtain something that is a fact.

2) A pollster should be at least outwardly unbiased. Which you're not.

3) All of this has been re-hashed many times. Your citation was regurgitated from another thread. And in fact, I'm fairly sure that you and 509 have had the exact same argument in multiple other threads.

I asked in the second post of this thread what the point of this thread/poll was, and I was hoping it was to create discussion, rather than just be a chance for you to get back on your soap box. But, no...
All I've done is state the obvious: King County makes an outsized contribution in revenues, while getting much, much less back in expenditures, no matter how the "data" is sliced. That King County, along with a small handful of other "donor" counties (one in eastern Washingon), pretty clearly subsidizes the rest of the state, however, isn't the same thing as saying that western Washington is necessarily subsidizing eastern Washington.

Why are you trying to squelch discussion? Why not just honestly defend the proposition you make here (perhaps you can swing some votes your way):

Quote:
One of the great lies the last thirty in Washington state has been that western Washington taxes are sent east of the Cascades. IF you repeat a lie often enough people start believe its true.
Quote:
For 2012 eastern Washington provided subsidies of 19.37 million dollars to western Washington. It looks like from the data that this sum will only continue to grow in the future.

This does NOT include eastern Washington county subsidies to western Washington residents like medical care, law enforcement, search and rescue, etc.
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...estern-wa.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington