Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 01:49 AM

181 posts, read 166,144 times

Advertisements

I recently attended a convention in Sisters and struck a conversation with 2 women from White Salmon. I was about to profess my love for Klickitat County (I just can't get enough of those roads, sights, and places - White Salmon itself, Maryhill Museum, the Stonehenge, Goldendale - yes, there's something about Goldendale that draws me there, I made a friend there, a store owner, with whom I stop by to visit just because, whenever I pass through there; the observatory, Ekone Ranch, Bickleton Highway...)

But I hardly mentioned any of this. I stopped short when I noticed their expression sour at the words "Klickitat County". One of them hurried to say something to the effect "We are not _them_". I changed the topic.

Why such reaction? Looking down from the ivory tower of the county's wealthiest town? Does this look like an isolated case, or is there indeed an attitude issue between White Salmonites (sp?) and the rest of the county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
After Trump, an uprising among women in rural Washington

Old 12-29-2018, 09:03 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
You have me curious, now. I've only seen the Maryhill Museum, and that was ages ago. I didn't know there was an observatory. And you say the people are friendly? Or at least--the store owners? Sounds like an interesting place. I'll add it to my "to do" list, on my next road trip through the area.

Maybe the White Salmon people consider themselves more liberal than the Goldendale people?? Who knows?

Old 12-29-2018, 01:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There is a lot of inner tension in rural counties especially when the County seat / economic development (Goldendale) is far removed and much different economy than the 'desired' / adorable / trendy child (WS / Bingen).

There is still a LOT of strife over the CGNSA stuff (which WS lives with and Goldendale (county seat) administers. And Klickitat County refuses to acknowledge the CGNSA rules (which are pretty pitiful, but necessary (and generally embraced by those in WS / Bingen ('greenies' / environmentally conscious)).

Goldendale and Klickitat County in general are all about AG and wind energy. Nothing much of that happening anymore in WS. (Thanks to CGNSA (+/-).)

Look over the Mcedd.org newsletter to get a better feel for the region (5 Central Gorge counties spanning the river) Pretty good organization with intent to help stabilize the economic / livability issues of the region.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:45 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You have me curious, now. I've only seen the Maryhill Museum, and that was ages ago. I didn't know there was an observatory. And you say the people are friendly? Or at least--the store owners? Sounds like an interesting place. I'll add it to my "to do" list, on my next road trip through the area.

Maybe the White Salmon people consider themselves more liberal than the Goldendale people?? Who knows?
and therefore....special.

More on Goldendale....

usbackroads™: Maryhill State Park, Goldendale, Washington

Old 12-29-2018, 03:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:

Everyone in Klickitat County knows that White Salmon residents tend to be more liberal than the rest of Klickitat County. Some people are mad about it, some aren't.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Everyone in Klickitat County knows that White Salmon residents tend to be more liberal than the rest of Klickitat County. Some people are mad about it, some aren't.
Aaaand, there you have it, OP.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
People are friendly... thinking. It's been hit and miss generally in Goldendale. For instance, once at The Glass Onion - the only upscale restaurant in town - the folks at the next table were staring at us, which really unnerved my wife. Staring in a xenophobic way (yes, we were coming across as more than out of the area; make it "far out").

A police officer another time was nice. Eager to get to the hotel and turn in after a long drive, I was turning from 97 S into Broadway at slightly less than the highway speed. Big mistake. Broadway is 30 mph... He followed me into the hotel parking lot and in the end just gave me a warning, to my amazement. Perhaps a kid sleeping in the passenger seat had something to do with that.

I tend to discount bad bits. Things like befriending a store owner are so much bigger.

And finally, one hidden jewel of Klickitat Co. I forgot about! When you are in Goldendale, be sure to drive north for 15 minutes and visit the store at St. John the Forerunner Greek Orthodox Monastery. Try their Greek food!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 PM

Thank you StealthRabbit! I knew there was more to that conversation that met the eye. You've provided a wealth of information.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:40 AM

467 posts, read 525,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
People are friendly... thinking. It's been hit and miss generally in Goldendale. For instance, once at The Glass Onion - the only upscale restaurant in town - the folks at the next table were staring at us, which really unnerved my wife. Staring in a xenophobic way (yes, we were coming across as more than out of the area; make it "far out").

And finally, one hidden jewel of Klickitat Co. I forgot about! When you are in Goldendale, be sure to drive north for 15 minutes and visit the store at St. John the Forerunner Greek Orthodox Monastery. Try their Greek food!
We have been known to go out of way for the gyros at St John Bakery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington