Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Though there will be a lot of parents opposing that with concerns about pitch black morning bus stops.
Dark shouldn't be confused with unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:54 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Dark shouldn't be confused with unsafe.
Yes! Also there is periods of dark mornings whether we change it up or not.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:48 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
It would be good to keep the change-over in lock-step with California, to minimize computer disruptions and synchronize work schedules.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Yes, I agree. I mentioned this earlier as in any change would work best if not only California was in lock step, but also Oregon, and maybe even B.C., but that is asking for a lot. My guess: Nothing will change anytime soon, but a good discussion.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-18-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
The topic of Daylight Savings Time has come up before on this forum. While not likely novel, I did introduce the currently popular idea of just keeping Daylight Savings Time permanent into that topic. Being the bearer of bad news, there's a problem with that idea. That idea is against and superseded by Federal law, so if the bill ever passes the legislature and is signed into state law, it would just be an opinion by the state. The clock changing would remain the same.

However, The State of Washington could just discard Daylight Savings Time, but I am not optimistic about that occurring, certainly not without the West Coast coordination previously mentioned.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Yay for year round DST. Oregon too.
I forget which function to use and what button to push on my Citizen's Eco-Perpetual. I have to either make a guess or google the instructions-both are a nuisance 2x a year. I am too old to remember how, too conservative to make the guess, and too lazy to read the instructions.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Yes, year round DST is the best answer. Because Seattle, Tacoma, Portland don't need an extra hour of daylight at 4 AM in the summer. We need to keep the late daylight in the summer when the population can actually use it!

Again, going to Standard time year 'round would be terrible, as it would decrease summer evening daylight. Who really wants that?

Yes, year round DST would increase afternoon daylight, but decrease the morning daylight. Which is more important?

I would say the afternoon + would be more enjoyable.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Although I see the advantages of year-round DST, I wouldn't support it unless the rest of the country did as well. It can be a pain in the ass to be on a different time than everyone around you, especially if you live near the OR or ID border.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
The topic of Daylight Savings Time has come up before on this forum. While not likely novel, I did introduce the currently popular idea of just keeping Daylight Savings Time permanent into that topic. Being the bearer of bad news, there's a problem with that idea. That idea is against and superseded by Federal law, so if the bill ever passes the legislature and is signed into state law, it would just be an opinion by the state. The clock changing would remain the same.

However, The State of Washington could just discard Daylight Savings Time, but I am not optimistic about that occurring, certainly not without the West Coast coordination previously mentioned.
Arizona doesn't observe DST, I'm pretty sure, except for "northern Arizona" (aka: the Navajo Nation), which does.

I don't think eliminating DST achieves anything, except more daytime hours spent in the dark, in WA. I can see why people would want DST all year. I wasn't aware that it would violate Federal law to do that, though.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It would get dark at 5:30 rather than 4:30 in December. That would be a big improvement in quality of life.
Yeah, I don't like it getting dark at 4:30 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington