Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,452,405 times

Advertisements

How do you like Washington Park, mistyriver? That is a beautiful spot and the view is breathtaking of Fidalgo Bay. It's not hard to find or a long walk from the car, either. That whole Deception Pass bridge area is one of my favorite areas of Washington state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,716,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
How do you like Washington Park, mistyriver? That is a beautiful spot and the view is breathtaking of Fidalgo Bay. It's not hard to find or a long walk from the car, either. That whole Deception Pass bridge area is one of my favorite areas of Washington state.
Loved it! Lots of great walk there. So beautiful.
I wasn’t so fond of Deception Passbia boat though. Lots of waiting for slack tide.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,452,405 times
Never been in that area by boat - wow, even though waiting for slack tide, it would surely be beautiful. I'll bet Anacortes was a nice little town ta live in, eh? Always liked that town. Nearest town we lived in to Anacortes was Burlington, which is becoming kind of a rat race because of I-5 and shopping outlets and the Cascade Mall and such. Burlington living was good, though, too.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,716,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Never been in that area by boat - wow, even though waiting for slack tide, it would surely be beautiful. I'll bet Anacortes was a nice little town ta live in, eh? Always liked that town. Nearest town we lived in to Anacortes was Burlington, which is becoming kind of a rat race because of I-5 and shopping outlets and the Cascade Mall and such. Burlington living was good, though, too.
It was so beautiful. Wouldn’t wanted to have gone thru Deception Pass without a slack tide in our Nordic Tug. Takes a much bigger more powerful boat to motor thru. But I loved watching them do it. I very much dislike rough water...total fair weather sailor here.
If we wanted to head to Whidbey we generally motored down the Swinomish Channel. Boring but nice to stop for lunch in LaConner.
Nothing like cruising out in the San Juan’s though these days we make do with CDA lake. It’s pretty rough but we out on a brave face and make do.
Our Nordic had a little wood burning stove on it and I can’t tell you how wonderful it was wandering thru the islands on crisp days with the smell of burning cedar intermingles with the scent of the evergreens from the islands around us. Pure heaven.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:56 PM

859 posts, read 1,056,241 times
Wondering what the OP decided. We're looking hard at Oak Harbor, for retirement.
I'd like to know everyone's thoughts.

Last edited by wolfdog; 03-25-2019 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-17-2021, 12:16 AM

726 posts, read 1,358,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The Growlers can be heard in Anacortes and on Camano Island during training exercises- it depends on the flight path they take. They shake the ground when they go over.

How frequent/bad is it in Anacortes and Camano Island?

Old 06-17-2021, 01:18 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,688,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
How frequent/bad is it in Anacortes and Camano Island?
It depends on the flight path they take while training and it varies how often they train. They publish a training schedule but they have many other flights that aren't published. It's not like a commercial airport with a predictable daily schedule.

Camano Island is pristinely quiet when they aren't training. It's quiet most of the time, but you can get a stretch of intense jet noise when they train. And the locals don't take kindly to any complaining about jets, so be warned.

Anacortes is fairly quiet as well but gets insanely loud if the growlers take a low flight path overhead.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:54 PM

859 posts, read 1,056,241 times
I rarely hear the jets in Oak Harbor. Kinda miss 'em.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:56 PM

726 posts, read 1,358,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
And the locals don't take kindly to any complaining about jets, so be warned.

Why? Is this just for Camano?

Old 06-19-2021, 10:15 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,948,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Why? Is this just for Camano?

Because it's the sound of freedom. These are military areas.

We have the same defensiveness of the artillery ranges and helicopter routes out of JBLM.

The noise is part of life near military bases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington