Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
For affordable apartments for seniors, disabled, and low income see:

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org

For the Olympic Peninsula:

For instance:

Subsidized (21 units): 30% of income. Nonsubsidized (9 units): $585-748

A total of six properties are listed for Port Townsend, five for Sequim, and two for Port Angeles. When you get to Port Townsend, just start filling out applications, getting on waiting lists (1-3 months, 3-6 months, etc.).
This is a really good point! OP, we don't know if you're a "senior" (definitions vary), but Sequim has a fair amount of low-income senior housing. They advertise on C-list, when a unit comes available. They're a remarkably good deal!

Thank you, Donkey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 01:09 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a really good point! OP, we don't know if you're a "senior" (definitions vary), but Sequim has a fair amount of low-income senior housing. They advertise on C-list, when a unit comes available. They're a remarkably good deal!

Thank you, Donkey!
Not just for seniors (62+), but also for disabled and low-income. Many "senior" properties have units available to the disabled.

Look also in Port Orchard (eight properties), Poulsbo (five properties), and Silverdale (two properties).

Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 PM

21 posts, read 20,021 times
I am 53 years old.

I know those places. Just because they are on a website does not mean they have units available. And they don't. The specific one listed say "Approximate Wait: 3 to 6 months" But I called them and asked how long the waitlist was and he said "I know some people ho have been waiting for more than a year."

I call these places over and over with the same disheartening news.

On paper everything looks great for the disabled poor, but the reality is much different. And we wonder why suicide is now the 2nd leading casue of death. The world does not care about me, so why should I.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Often, "senior" properties will have a limited number of units available to non-senior disabled, who don't leave unless to assisted living or the morgue, because they're hard to get. There is no way to predict if or when those units will become available. In other words, apply to as many as you can, then wait (and be patient). Same with Individual/Family properties: get on as many lists as you can. If it takes a year, it takes a year (you've got nine years until you'll be 62).

In the meantime, you've got an address and access to a bathroom and kitchen, which is half the battle.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 02-12-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Often, "senior" properties will have a limited number of units available to non-senior disabled, who don't leave unless to assisted living or the morgue, because they're hard to get. There is no way to predict if or when those units will become available. In other words, apply to as many as you can, then wait (and be patient). Same with Individual/Family properties: get on as many lists as you can. If it takes a year, it takes a year (you've got nine years until you'll be 62).

In the meantime, you've got an address and access to a bathroom and kitchen, which is half the battle.
Yeah, camping in a tent like a dog is all fine when you do not have an incurable neurological disorder.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Hi Crstn,
I hope the best for you.
Possitve vibes sent your way.
Andy

Old 02-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hi Crstn,
I hope the best for you.
Possitve vibes sent your way.
Andy
Thanks man.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crstn View Post
Yeah, camping in a tent like a dog is all fine when you do not have an incurable neurological disorder.
No one is saying it is "fine". You said yourself that you were choosing to camp in your friend's yard, to save money. There are roomshares for under $700 in Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles - just ask if you can prorate the deposit/last month. If you want to get a subsidized apartment due to disability or low income, I've told you how to do it. Yes, you're going to have to make lots of enquiries, fill out applications, follow up, and wait until your number comes up. That's just how it is.

If you're receiving SS or VA disability benefits, you're disabled. It doesn't matter if it is physically evident.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
No one is saying it is "fine". You said yourself that you were choosing to camp in your friend's yard, to save money. There are roomshares for under $700 in Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles - just ask if you can prorate the deposit/last month. If you want to get a subsidized apartment due to disability or low income, I've told you how to do it. Yes, you're going to have to make lots of inquiries, fill out applications, follow up, and wait until your number comes up. That's just how it is.

If you're receiving SS or VA disability benefits, you're disabled. It doesn't matter if it is physically evident.
I never said I am choosing to live in a tent. For f*^k's sake...

I appreciate you trying to help, but I am not new to finding apartments or low income housing. I am not an idiot. I graduated top of my class in college and was a network engineer. You told me nothing new. Wait a year in a tent for a chance at an apartment, clutching on to my sanity not wanting to take all the pills I have and finally find my rent free space? "That's just how it is". suck it up, pull yourself up by your non-existent boot straps.

I have been disabled for 20 years. 10 years ago i was able to roll into PT, stay at the hostel (that the city shut down) and pretty much have an assortment of places to rent. Things have changed. There are over 50 airbnb's in port townsend ranging from 60 to 300 a night. so at minimum these people are making $1800 a month rent on a room. How can I compete with that? They only have to rent their room for 12 days to make what I could barely afford in rent. I have the added bonus of having the curse of being intelligent enough to make over 100k a year at my last job so that I make enough in disability to disqualify me for a lot of rental assistance.

I have Bipolar Disorder, so roomshares, well, they ask what I do and it is all downhill from there. I can lie, but then I am a liar. I don't want to be a liar, I just need a place to live. I have a perfect rental history. You have no idea what it is like living with a serious mental illness and the stigma associated with it. I wish I was in a wheel chair. When i see the fat diabetic f*&k's on the bus I am jealous. I take such good care of my health to be stable enough to not be on medications 24x7 that people look at me and think there is nothing wrong. I am the only one in my family that does not have early heart disease or heart failure or obesity. I spent my time on disability researching the genetic cause of my disorder and doing more than everything i can to get off of disability. I went from being on four meds to needed them on occasion. So don't preach to me about what easy is and assume I am being lazy. You do not know me.

And stress to people with Bipolar is like a peanut to someone with a peanut allergy. So telling me to be patient and live in a tent is like throwing me into a peanut butter factory.

Gahhh...rant over.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
If a friend will let you camp, how about getting an old RV? It'd be more comfortable than camping, and you could fix it up and flip it when you find better housing.
https://olympic.craigslist.org/d/rec...les/search/rva
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington