Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 AM

11 posts, read 43,146 times

Advertisements

Any insights about life in Goldendale, Klickitat, Bickleton, Glenwood area in Washington would be appreciated. I have a nice situation in Willamette Valley of Oregon but urban sprawl is approaching my community. Children are just grown, and I'm prepared to semi-retire from engineering business, so could be happy with some kind of low key outdoor or active part time job and another "hobby farm" acreage. First choice was Darrington Washington but its miserable to get through Pugetopolis traffic to travel between there and Oregon. Second choice was Trout Lake WA, but it seems to be already bid up to urban prices by urban wealth. Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM

1,664 posts, read 863,573 times
My uncle lives about ten miles outside of Goldendale. It's a beautiful area, and only gets about half as much rain (or less) than the Willamette Valley does. Jobs are probably going to be very few and far between, but there is a lot of raw land in that area, some with amazing views of Mt. Adams or Mt. Hood. For what you are looking to do, it sounds like Goldendale would be a good spot, especially for a hobby farm, and its far enough away from everything so that urban sprawl is very unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:10 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Bickelton is beautiful, but it has only one store/restaurant and one other bar/restaurant, and no gas stations at all. But if you have a good car or bike, the road from there to Mabton is GREAT. Must have 200 curves, some sweepers, some hairpins. The road from Bickelton on back to Goldendale area is also GREAT. Would be a long drive to any job besides working in the two restaurants or maybe something at the schools.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Klickitat County is big into wind power, you can pick up some PT employment in that industry.
There are also some manufacturers in the industrial park there.
Get signed up on this newsletter (Regional economic Development in 5 Mid Gorge counties (OR & WA))
https://www.mcedd.org/
Welcome! - Gorge Technology Alliance

Of course... Insitu (now owned by Boeing) and related businesses are a good choice in White Salmon area (Which is one reason the nice places like BZ Corners and Trout Lake are so high in property values, Highly desired school and AG land in Trout Lake as well (Beginnings | Trout Lake Farm, LLC).

I have several friends who live in Goldendale to Mosier, OR area. (as well as Hood River and Stevenson). My Favorite spot is Underwood, WA or Parkdale, OR.

The town of Klickitat is in a nice setting, but quite troubled economically and socially (closed mill town) and far from services.

If you can digest OR taxes and politics... Look to Dufur, OR and Tygh Valley. As an early retiree (since my 40's), I prefer to be near a town with medical services and a college (diverse economy + community). (The Dalles, would do).

If you want closer to Portland, Corbett is a nice location.

One thing I really appreciate as a retiree is a nice view from home... You finally have time to stay home and enjoy it.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:04 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,498,710 times
Summers are warmer and its less green than my favorite part of Washington- the SW- but its nice enough.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:44 PM

11 posts, read 43,146 times
Thanks yall! Mitch who told you about my motorbike?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther East View Post
Thanks yall! Mitch who told you about my motorbike?
and... The Klickitat Canyon (for sport biking) (142). As well as the very fun (and no guard rails) climb from Klicktat River (142) up to the plains to the west of Goldendale. (I prefer to go UP rather than down, as you can power the curves, rather than brake.)

I used to take the loop from BZ Corners to Glenwood, on early Saturday and Sunday AM and have breakfast at The Shade Tree Inn (Now Glenwood Station_), after a quick visit to friends in Goldendale, back down Klickitat Canyon on the way westbound. Many times I will go up and down the canyon a few times for more grins (if no traffic).

Very good riding across the Columbia (Near Dufur)

Maybe this Road Course Track (Grass Valley, OR) has motorcycle days.
https://oregonraceway.com/

Old 06-29-2019, 10:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Klickitat County is big into wind power, you can pick up some PT employment in that industry.
There are also some manufacturers in the industrial park there.
Get signed up on this newsletter (Regional economic Development in 5 Mid Gorge counties (OR & WA))
https://www.mcedd.org/
Welcome! - Gorge Technology Alliance

Of course... Insitu (now owned by Boeing) and related businesses are a good choice in White Salmon area (Which is one reason the nice places like BZ Corners and Trout Lake are so high in property values, Highly desired school and AG land in Trout Lake as well (Beginnings | Trout Lake Farm, LLC).

I have several friends who live in Goldendale to Mosier, OR area. (as well as Hood River and Stevenson). My Favorite spot is Underwood, WA or Parkdale, OR.

The town of Klickitat is in a nice setting, but quite troubled economically and socially (closed mill town) and far from services.

If you can digest OR taxes and politics... Look to Dufur, OR and Tygh Valley. As an early retiree (since my 40's), I prefer to be near a town with medical services and a college (diverse economy + community). (The Dalles, would do).

If you want closer to Portland, Corbett is a nice location.

One thing I really appreciate as a retiree is a nice view from home... You finally have time to stay home and enjoy it.
But many older, smaller houses in town are pretty darn cheap. Other similar town to look at is Lyle. Although there are plenty of second homers moving into the surrounding areas. Some of these folks commute to the Portland/Vancouver area a couple times a week. Make your move soon though, the spendier areas with views and stream/river fronts are going to drag the other prices up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington