Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Sorry you have the wrong person. I too, am forced to comply with the laws of the locales I occupy. Only 38 yrs in WA (all of those volunteering and supporting homeless shelters.). I have never mentioned restricting the occupancy of RVs, but .... There are laws in place restricting FT RV living. Not saying that is right or wrong. I didn't write the laws, but I too must comply with them to exist as a 'free' citizen of WA State.

Yes, I spend well over $1000 / month in public taxes just for the privilege of staying here. Over 2x more than my highest house payment. That buys a great government and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:18 PM

220 posts, read 154,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sorry you have the wrong person. I too, am forced to comply with the laws of the locales I occupy. Only 38 yrs in WA (all of those volunteering and supporting homeless shelters.). I have never mentioned restricting the occupancy of RVs, but .... There are laws in place restricting FT RV living. Not saying that is right or wrong. I didn't write the laws, but I too must comply with them to exist as a 'free' citizen of WA State.

Yes, I spend well over $1000 / month in public taxes just for the privilege of staying here. Over 2x more than my highest house payment. That buys a great government and schools.
The highest law is the constitutions and our unalienable rights. History has shown it doesn't matter if some local government says it is okay to murder people because they are deemed witches or throw MLK in jail. It's not okay. Be on the side of god. As a wise man once said “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.” - Abraham Lincoln

Don't comply with laws that hurt people. If the law says you should hang a man for being black then don't do it! If the law says that someone shouldn't live in an RV then fight that law and help your fellow American. Think big picture! Rise above the sheep mentality.

I wish we could fast forward 10,000 years from now. People think society is so developed and free today, but even today there are so many just obviously broken things right in front of us but no one asks questions or thinks anymore.

People should always think for themselves and do what's right.

People should not be lead like sheep into their own self oppression.

I will not comply with this abuse of human rights, and will oppose all ideas and policies that seek to place people on the street.

Nothing is stronger than the people of America. People NEED to start saying what is right and wrong. If it takes away your liberty it is wrong!

Silence is the easiest target for oppression.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM

220 posts, read 154,061 times
I think Washington is a great state, but a great state does not mean that it can not be improved. Liberty seems to be one of the areas that could be improved in Washington state. Particularly when it comes to housing and land ownership.

Fight for your rights.

You can CHANGE the world. You don't have to let it control you.

People are the greatest power we have here on earth.

We have the power to destroy ourselves, or create greatness.

Liberty is the root of all greatness and lack of liberty is the root of all suffering. I can assure you that. Look anywhere in history. Any situation. Any person. Any time.

If you can ensure liberty in all ways, even if you can't connect the dots - then Washington will never fall!

Old 07-17-2019, 08:02 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,358,747 times
RVFullTimer, have you thought about getting a veteran's loan or a USDA loan? You won't need a down payment for either, although there might be other fees. Depending on the credit rate and the house price your monthly payment could be as low as $350 - $600 per month. You could rent out the other room or rooms to make up for most or all of the house payment:

This 3 bedroom 1 bath is listed at $62,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Hoquiam/13.../home/14776802

This 2 bedroom 1 bath is listed at 69,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Aberdeen/1.../home/14786259

The catch is you have to have a good enough credit rating. It doesn't have to be perfect but if it's super low you won't be able to get a loan.

The low monthly payments would be on a 30-year loan. Lenders aren't allowed to discriminate against someone who's older and deny them a 30-year loan.

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 07-17-2019 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,358,747 times
Or if you don't want to have roommates you could buy this 1 bedroom 1 bath at $49,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Aberdeen/9.../home/14786204. The payments would be really low on that one.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:46 AM

527 posts, read 422,559 times
I think there should be large areas where zoning should permit living in RVs full time on own land parcels (1 RV per parcel not to violate single-family rule), especially considering current horrendous housing crisis. This should be subject to normal septic regulations for the region/septic hookup should be required.
There're a lot of people living in RVs, vans and other vehicles on the road now, obviously, a form of homelessness, and with current insane costs and regulations to build a house RVs really can be a solution for some.
Their zones should be away from normal residential areas, for obvious reasons.
I can understand how RV-living shouldn't be permitted in tornado-prone or flood areas, and snow-load requirements have their place, etc.
I, personally, think a decision to live in RV full-time while not owning a stick-built home is not a smart one. Home will appreciate, RV will deprecate. I had done nomadic lifestyle for many years....it's fun to do for some time, but not worth it as permanent thing: it's a form of homelessness, unless one is wealthy enough that can buy a home any time if they want to without worrying about finances. RV is just a money sink in my view....RV parks are horrendous dumps, all of them. Boondocking can be unsafe and will get more unsafe in the future, as homelessness grows and crime will, in this divisive economy. After all the camping I've done, don't want the sight of any RV ever again.

I think fire-prone areas, such as many in the West, can really benefit from people living in RVs on lots. Take Paradise, CA (burned down by Camp Fire). All this effort, expense and toxic chemicals that went into numerous houses built there, which burned....all went out with a poof. Now they insist of rebuilding with even stricter standards I think...ridiculous. These wildfires won't spare anything and will get worse in upcoming decades. If it was RV town, the property loss would have been much less and people can also evacuate these "homes" if there's enough warning (and enough escape routes built). Let them be RV towns. I see this ridiculously overpriced real estate in piney areas in Western mountains, it cracks me up - this stuff WILL burn (it's not "if", it's "when") and soon will all be uninsurable (and in California taxpayers will be picking up the tab of negligence by these home owners choosing to live in hazardous zones, as the State will be insuring through the state program then)

Last edited by opossum1; 10-12-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 08:52 AM

527 posts, read 422,559 times
Aberdeen? Puh-lease.... it's scary to drive through the town. Detroit is another option for a cheap home if anyone is interested.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Or if you don't want to have roommates you could buy this 1 bedroom 1 bath at $49,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Aberdeen/9.../home/14786204. The payments would be really low on that one.
You do realize that mortgages for small amounts are hard to get. Think about it, 4% loan on 50K, bank isn't going to make much.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
RVFullTimer, have you thought about getting a veteran's loan or a USDA loan? You won't need a down payment for either, although there might be other fees. Depending on the credit rate and the house price your monthly payment could be as low as $350 - $600 per month. You could rent out the other room or rooms to make up for most or all of the house payment:

This 3 bedroom 1 bath is listed at $62,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Hoquiam/13.../home/14776802

This 2 bedroom 1 bath is listed at 69,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Aberdeen/1.../home/14786259

The catch is you have to have a good enough credit rating. It doesn't have to be perfect but if it's super low you won't be able to get a loan.

The low monthly payments would be on a 30-year loan. Lenders aren't allowed to discriminate against someone who's older and deny them a 30-year loan.
All of those are in the flood plain - add flood insurance to the cost. 100-year floods are happening about every decade.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Zoning laws are meant less to keep RVs out than to keep the people living in them out.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-homelessness/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington