Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Who said anything about increased capacity? Not the OP. 509 just wants to price people off the road...not build more road.
OP was complaining about the traffic. Toll revenue could go toward increasing capacity, thus solving the traffic jams. Unless the toll is outrageously high, a toll is not going to be limiting but could address the traffic congestion for those that do travel to eastern Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
The issue is not "increased capacity". The issue is high peak traffic during certain holidays and/or seasonal increases. The roads in Eastern Washington generally don't need increased capacity. Tolls make no sense in this region.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The issue is not "increased capacity". The issue is high peak traffic during certain holidays and/or seasonal increases. The roads in Eastern Washington generally don't need increased capacity. Tolls make no sense in this region.
They do make sense.

They would lower holiday traffic significantly and provide revenue to increase road capacity.

Have you tried to drive in Wenatchee on a typical day....doesn't matter weekend or weekday.

Right now....Chelan County SENDS gas tax money to WESTERN WASHINGTON!!! While we are stuck in traffic in our own county.

There are also other issues......like 40% of Chelan county jail are residents of WESTERN WASHINGTON. 75% of the search and rescues costs are for WESTERN WASHINGTON residents.

Why as a retiree that has lived in the Wenatchee Valley for 35 years should I be paying for the rich kids that work for Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, etc. etc. for their "entertainment".

BTW....get off my lawn!!.....even if it is sagebrush!! BTW...I actually had a rich, spoiled western Washington brat walk 10 feet from my deck to look at the view!! He said I was "rude" to kick him off my property since it was sage.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
I totally understand your frustration 509. I grew up here and now every camping/hiking/mountain-biking/boating venue is just stuffed with people. It's gotten to the point where if you really want to enjoy yourself, you take time off work and go after the weekends *around* the holiday weekends so you miss the secondary zoo of people that are also missing the primary holiday weekend zoo. Worse yet, everything from housing to groceries to gas is more $$$ because of all these people.

I don't feel that toll roads are anything good though, we already pay the 3rd highest gas taxes in the country. I do feel that the "newcomers" are not paying their own way nor is the state using the increased tax revenue they do get from the growing population to deal with the growth in a proactive way.(more roads, sewer, water, etc).

Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
This is no different than the summer and holiday weekend traffic in the scenic west part of the state such as the Olympic Penninsula, Ocean Shores and the San Juan Islands. When you live in a place that's a desirable vacation spot, you should expect inconvenience at times. Of course, some will benefit from the dollars spent by those tourists while they are in your area. The gas stations, restaurants, and motels will not be complaining about the traffic.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
When I first moved to Seattle I lived Queen Anne a couple of block up from Seattle Center. It was an older Apt building with street parking.

It was all good unless those hippie festival, sports crazed, rock-n-roll blaring concert entitled types flooded my neighborhood.

Wish I'd thought of adding taxes, fees and fines to all those festivities to keep my parking the way I liked it.
Damn hipsters- Keep off my concrete!

Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is no different than the summer and holiday weekend traffic in the scenic west part of the state such as the Olympic Penninsula, Ocean Shores and the San Juan Islands. When you live in a place that's a desirable vacation spot, you should expect inconvenience at times. Of course, some will benefit from the dollars spent by those tourists while they are in your area. The gas stations, restaurants, and motels will not be complaining about the traffic.
Exactly. This is NOT an issue of road capacity. It is an issue of inconvenience at times. And this issue increases the profits of local industries. Much ado about nothing.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:20 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Exactly. This is NOT an issue of road capacity. It is an issue of inconvenience at times. And this issue increases the profits of local industries. Much ado about nothing.
Since most of Eastern Washington is not reliant on tourism as a major source of revenue, your point is only valid for a small number of people.

For example, telling a local Forest Service employee, or logger, or farmer, "Hey, all those Coasties bring a bunch of money to hotels and restaurants over here while they clog our roads!" is going to fall on deaf ears.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Since most of Eastern Washington is not reliant on tourism as a major source of revenue, your point is only valid for a small number of people.

For example, telling a local Forest Service employee, or logger, or farmer, "Hey, all those Coasties bring a bunch of money to hotels and restaurants over here while they clog our roads!" is going to fall on deaf ears.
I think your premise is a bit off. Eastern Washington is just as reliant on tourism as Western Washington. So my point is valid for a large number of people.

Forest Service employer, logger or farmer? Not sure I get the connection. If farming includes the billion dollar wine industry in Eastern Washington then you are certainly out of touch with what makes Eastern Washington tick. A blanket statement that "Eastern Washington is not reliant on tourism" is just plain incorrect.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 PM

464 posts, read 286,808 times
The toll booth is only going to slow things down MORE!

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington