Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in Washington?
Love it, I'll never leave 23 31.08%
Really like it but not sure if it's forever 22 29.73%
Like some things but serious negatives have me considering leaving 19 25.68%
Hate it and can't wait to see it in my rear view mirror 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

I left when the lemming swarm became too much. There are parts that haven't been ruined yet but I'm not going to mention them because then the swarms will swarm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I left when the lemming swarm became too much. There are parts that haven't been ruined yet but I'm not going to mention them because then the swarms will swarm there.
Sounds like when we left Colorado (in the late 1970's)

Still frequent CO, WA, TX (hill country) while in USA. (seldom as possible)
Nothing is perfect, but there are still a lot of choices (WY, MT, ID, SD, AK are also favorite spots)

IN MN, WI, UpMI this week. Getting late (mayfly hatch + mosquitoes)

UT, AZ, NV, CA last week.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:05 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I've lived here since 1985. I have sidestepped most of the issues that drive people nuts in Seattle:

1. Seattle Freeze. I have enough friends that this condition doesn't phase me much.
2. Difficult dating environment. Happily married.
3. Expensive housing. House soon paid off.

Now the one thing that drives my wife crazy and it will lead to us leaving is the weather. Really no getting around this. We have approx. 1 year to go before leaving.....

Last edited by pete98146; 06-25-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 PM

329 posts, read 470,724 times
We love it, retired here a year and half ago from CA.. we just love everything about this state. The only thing I miss is all my family and friends back home.. but every day we say we feel like we are on a vacation ♥

Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 AM

464 posts, read 286,885 times
It IS hard to know where to begin here.

I too came up from California back in 1991 for me.

I would say the weather is one of the things I like best.

You've got to have some precipitation and not just over a few days or weeks to support this:

(This isn't me in any of these pics.)

fev fallout 3

It doesn't "rain" a lot, it drizzles a lot!

Yet, we have great drainage too, you never hear about floods around here.

So you can get your weather spread more or less evenly through a year or get it all in one "wallop" over a couple days and watch your house float away every two years.

It is not so much the rain, but the clouds that give us our terrific weather!

exotic names that start with s

Clouds are a sun shade in the summer and a nice warm blanket in the winter, I can't understand people wanting to move to the desert which is both hotter and COLDER than the PNW, but to each their own.

And if one gets tired of a rural setting, Seattle is dazzling!

No area is perfect (so stop typing) but overall and in many ways that stand out this is my favorite state by far, and I've been to plenty.

Some people were born in a place, some people live somewhere because of their job or family ties, I chose this area specifically on it's own merits and those to other places by comparison.

THIS is "God's Country!"

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-26-2019 at 03:31 AM..

Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
We love it, retired here a year and half ago from CA.. we just love everything about this state. The only thing I miss is all my family and friends back home.. but every day we say we feel like we are on a vacation ♥
How is Shelton from a retirement perspective?

For sure the beauty of the state is almost unmatched so my criticisms of the rain are somewhat offset with the results of that rain.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
I love where I live in Clallam county and the negatives are a very short list, starting with arrogant Seattle drivers who think the speed limits don't apply to them.
I didn't love it in the Seattle King county area for obvious reasons. And that list is long....

Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Awesome Pics.
Thank you for posting them.
Are the waterfall pics in the rain forest?
I’m taking the wife there in a couple days.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
This year particularly we have been thanking our lucky stars we did not have floods, tornadoes, windstorms, and persistent rain as so many parts of the country did. We seem to live in a very benign part of the country, weather-wise. Nothing much happens here (until the big one, of course, but who's counting?)

Wet but not freezing winters, lovely summers - what more could you want?

Old 06-26-2019, 02:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
65 yrs in the PNW, wet side, says it all.
50 years for me, and I feel the same. Wet side. N Cali, Oregon, Washington, or even BC - it's my bioregion. Totally at home here, whatever the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington