Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in Washington?
Love it, I'll never leave 23 31.08%
Really like it but not sure if it's forever 22 29.73%
Like some things but serious negatives have me considering leaving 19 25.68%
Hate it and can't wait to see it in my rear view mirror 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 04:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's only terrible if you wish you were in California..

Today's lovely cool weather is about perfect for outdoor activities IMHO.

If it was any sunnier, people would complain it's too hot.

This weather is what I like best about Washington.
Me too. I grew up in southern California. and I find temps over 80 to be oppressive. IME, Washington has a lot of people like us. Not surprising, we're all mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
I liked it enough that I am moving back after about 5 years away. Having said that, WA is far from perfect. The homelessness problems in the state only seem the be getting worse. Moreover, WA used to be a 'purple's state that leaned blue in national elections, and sadly seems to be sliding into the same single-party autocracy that has destroyed California over the course of a decade.

One of the nice things about Washington is it's essentially Maine on steroids - it has big cities, soaring mountains, a lot of great agriculture, and entertainment that more rural states lack. But, at the same time, there are still enormous tracts of wilderness (and a really funky degrading post-industrial nautical vibe along the Sound, which is just cool). But it runs the risk of becoming an over-taxed, hyper-regulated hellhole if political balance isn't maintained.

I'm eager to be back. But I am incredibly worried about the future.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:18 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Having grown up a military brat that moved every 3-4 years gave me a bit of a gypsy spirit and I have continued moving that frequently in adulthood. Lived up and down the east coast, midwest, Germany, and Okinowa. WA is my favorite state by far. But I can't say I'll stay here forever simply due to my nature.
I'm in exactly the same spot - because of those military moves, I never really established a potent bond to any one place (although there are certainly some I have downright hated: Texas, Illinois, and Arizona all come to mind immediately). WA is by no means without flaws, but it does have the best combination of what I am looking for (and in a much smaller geographic area that is far more accessible than Alaska). I *hope* that this time I can just settle down and stay... but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll wind up back in New England eventually.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:39 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I liked it enough that I am moving back after about 5 years away. Having said that, WA is far from perfect. The homelessness problems in the state only seem the be getting worse. Moreover, WA used to be a 'purple's state that leaned blue in national elections, and sadly seems to be sliding into the same single-party autocracy that has destroyed California over the course of a decade.

One of the nice things about Washington is it's essentially Maine on steroids - it has big cities, soaring mountains, a lot of great agriculture, and entertainment that more rural states lack. But, at the same time, there are still enormous tracts of wilderness (and a really funky degrading post-industrial nautical vibe along the Sound, which is just cool). But it runs the risk of becoming an over-taxed, hyper-regulated hellhole if political balance isn't maintained.

I'm also concerned about the future. We're not yet over taxed but with all the things the current officials are planning, huge tax increases will be needed to pay for them. It's still an excellent place but I'm on the fence as far as remaining.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Its all about the money up here for me. I have to make a living and currently this area is THE place for it.

I live in Seattle, never look at the water or mountains. Only go to Downtown Seattle if I have no choice. Do not care to go to city festivals, sports events due to too many people and I am the opposite of a people person. You would have to pay me literally to go to a Seahawks game which blows my mind why people would pays hundreds for.

I prefer life simply. No I get no kicks from living in Western WA.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:50 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Having been to about 30+ states and 80 foreign countries, (both sh-tholes and great places and great people)

I worked in the Seattle area for 34 years and the only reason I stayed was because I had a great job that most would envy, but with that said I fled the Seattle area the moment I retired..... I find my spot on the Olympic peninsula the ideal spot to live.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM

499 posts, read 471,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Having been to about 30+ states and 80 foreign countries, (both sh-tholes and great places and great people)

I worked in the Seattle area for 34 years and the only reason I stayed was because I had a great job that most would envy, but with that said I fled the Seattle area the moment I retired..... I find my spot on the Olympic peninsula the ideal spot to live.
Rantiquity,

Since you elected to remain in WA post-retirement, it sounds like it was Seattle you disliked rather than the state of WA. What was favorable enough about Washington that you elected to stay?

And I agree, the northwest peninsula is beautiful.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:

I remember the posts and all the complaints. Do not understand a return after all that. There are fifty other states and a whole world out there - absolutely do not understand why someone would move back to a place they made clear they did not like. Even if it was determined later that "it wasn't so bad", that's not enough reason to return when there are so many other choices in this country. Washington is no less "Washington" than it was before, the same causes for complaints will still be there, probably more so.

Quote:
I'm in exactly the same spot - because of those military moves, I never really established a potent bond to any one place (although there are certainly some I have downright hated: Texas, Illinois, and Arizona all come to mind immediately). WA is by no means without flaws, but it does have the best combination of what I am looking for (and in a much smaller geographic area that is far more accessible than Alaska). I *hope* that this time I can just settle down and stay... but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll wind up back in New England eventually.
Makes much more sense.

We have too many people moving here every day, the traffic is terrible because of it and yet there are people that complain about living here or complained about living here, left and choose to come back? It makes no sense. Give another state a solid chance or better yet, move to the actual first choice that ticks all the boxes including politics instead of moving to a place that already caused endless unhappiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Its all about the money up here for me. I have to make a living and currently this area is THE place for it.

I live in Seattle, never look at the water or mountains. Only go to Downtown Seattle if I have no choice. Do not care to go to city festivals, sports events due to too many people and I am the opposite of a people person. You would have to pay me literally to go to a Seahawks game which blows my mind why people would pays hundreds for.

I prefer life simply. No I get no kicks from living in Western WA.
With that higher pay comes a higher cost of living. One could move to a cheaper place and income would still be relatively higher. Seattle isn't the only place to make money and the cost of living certainly makes the income disparity less. Life is too short to be so unhappy every single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm also concerned about the future. We're not yet over taxed but with all the things the current officials are planning, huge tax increases will be needed to pay for them. It's still an excellent place but I'm on the fence as far as remaining.
The good news is there are other excellent places with probably a much better political fit. A move to that perfect place might make one wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

Last edited by Seacove; 07-29-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 04:34 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
I notice many of the people who've stated all the problems with Washington state are from the Seattle area. Seattle is not all of Washington state. There are many beautiful places dotted around the state that do not have the traffic and other problems the big city is suffering from now.

Once all those people came to Seattle originally and settled because of the beautiful lifestyle, the lifestyle became something different, and now they are complaining. I don't blame them, just - that's how life is. Overpopulation ruins most things.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I notice many of the people who've stated all the problems with Washington state are from the Seattle area. Seattle is not all of Washington state. There are many beautiful places dotted around the state that do not have the traffic and other problems the big city is suffering from now.

Once all those people came to Seattle originally and settled because of the beautiful lifestyle, the lifestyle became something different, and now they are complaining. I don't blame them, just - that's how life is. Overpopulation ruins most things.
This is true. I love the Seattle metro, we just don't have any more room, people need to look at other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington