Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,486 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm relocating to Washington, hopefully for the last move in my life!

I love the weather I read about but trying to focus on any area in particular is daunting. So, I hope some kind readers will offer some guidance. I've been reading a lot of the threads but, wow, maybe it would be better if I jump in with my own query.

I will buy a house, 3+2 with a yard. Preferably progressive/liberal leaning but also close to things like Costco, Trader Joe's, WholeFoods-ish. Far away from any hunting areas. Love walking/hiking. Schools not an issue. I want to be in trees and greenery.

I was thinking Bellingham because it's way north and driving to Canada every so often would be fun. But then I read some posts and now I'm thinking, not so much.

Renting at first, of course, but any help zeroing my geographical search would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 02:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Last move of your life? Is this a retirement move? You don't seem concerned about jobs.

Take some of the B'ham criticisms with a couple of grains of salt. You should check it out for yourself. They have several food co-ops and health food grocers.

You also don't mention anything about affordability. I might suggest Sammamish or Issaquah. If you insist on Costco, Whole Foods-ish, you'll have to be urban-ish, not small-towns-ish.

However, that said, I think you should consider places like Port Townsend, which have a fabulous food co-op that fits the bill much better than WF, IMO. I hear there's a Costco over westwards, in Sequim. You could also look around the Kitsap Peninsula: Silverdale, maybe. I know there's a Costco nearby, IDK about the others on your list. Someone else will come along, here, who would know that.

I would suggest Olympia and its suburbs, but if you go on those threads, you'll see a lot of complaints about downtown homelessness, so...meh.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 PM

499 posts, read 471,125 times
lovesFog,

Can you be more specific about your Bellingham concerns? I spend several months up here and will eventually live up here most of the year (will probably go south for Januarys). Based on your criteria, I think Bellingham would tick a lot if not all your boxes, but a little more information would be helpful.

Bellingham has experienced some growth--about 10K people in the last 10 years--which brings challenges to any city. In fact, having researched many other cities before choosing Bellingham, I can tell you that most desirable cities are experiencing in influx of population. Housing prices have risen significantly, but compared to Seattle and San Fran are still doable. If housing prices are not prohibitive, you will find a lot to like here.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Last move of your life? Is this a retirement move? You don't seem concerned about jobs.

Take some of the B'ham criticisms with a couple of grains of salt. You should check it out for yourself. They have several food co-ops and health food grocers.

You also don't mention anything about affordability. I might suggest Sammamish or Issaquah. If you insist on Costco, Whole Foods-ish, you'll have to be urban-ish, not small-towns-ish.

However, that said, I think you should consider places like Port Townsend, which have a fabulous food co-op that fits the bill much better than WF, IMO. I hear there's a Costco over westwards, in Sequim. You could also look around the Kitsap Peninsula: Silverdale, maybe. I know there's a Costco nearby, IDK about the others on your list. Someone else will come along, here, who would know that.

I would suggest Olympia and its suburbs, but if you go on those threads, you'll see a lot of complaints about downtown homelessness, so...meh.

Thanks so much....and now for my trusty map.

I don't work. My budget maxes out 5-600K but it really depends on the area. I've lived in the mountains of CA as well as the "cities" of Vermont, in Florida now (gaak) and so my vernacular is hopefully not too insipid-ish. haha winki winki (sorry, noob on this board widget but trying to make it work).

Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
lovesFog,

Can you be more specific about your Bellingham concerns? I spend several months up here and will eventually live up here most of the year (will probably go south for Januarys). Based on your criteria, I think Bellingham would tick a lot if not all your boxes, but a little more information would be helpful.

Bellingham has experienced some growth--about 10K people in the last 10 years--which brings challenges to any city. In fact, having researched many other cities before choosing Bellingham, I can tell you that most desirable cities are experiencing in influx of population. Housing prices have risen significantly, but compared to Seattle and San Fran are still doable. If housing prices are not prohibitive, you will find a lot to like here.

Thank you.

I was reading negative stuff about lack of housing for construction workers and other stuff. I live in an area that is quickly becoming the poster child for Joni Mitchell's "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" except they're putting up gated communities and deed restricted housing and fake lakes where it used to be cow pastures and swamp land. Where do the animals go??? So sad. So, I don't want to face another dump truck or land mover ever again.

I would love to be adjacent to a city with mother nature just a stone's throw if not closer. With the majority of people who care about how they leave this planet for the future. Good clean air and water. Sidewalks! Trees! Shade!

Living without air conditioning will be heaven. Feel like I've been in cold storage for months.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:51 PM

499 posts, read 471,125 times
Okay, here are the things I like most about Bellingham:

1. Nature mixed with housing. Trees everywhere, with plenty of public space set aside.

2. There are at least a half dozen beautiful parks of substantial size for walks and hikes. In a few minutes I will walk over to Big Rock Garden Park. Once on the trail, the houses and street noise is gone, and I am on a nature trail. Many, many other parks in Bellingham provide a similar experience. The interurban trail system here is impressive, which allows you to walk all over town mostly out of sight of cars. Spending public money on parks and hiking trails is a community value, and I don't see that changing.

3. Terrific assortment of available food. Farmer's markets with fresh-picked produce, great grocery store selections and lots of farm-to-table-ish restaurants.

4. No AC needed.

5. Three extraordinary types of natural beauty--the Sound, the mountains, and many available lakes, all either in town or within a short drive. Day trips to Vancouver and several national parks.

6. Good local music scene, if you like listening to live music. I mean it's not Nashville but there are maybe two dozen local spots with regular music, at least in the summer.

7. Western Washington University for lectures and the arts. Also, retired people can take WWU courses for just a few dollars.

8. Really, really nice people. It will freak you out a little when you first get here, but you get used to it. Would like a more diverse population, but there are at least a reasonable percentage of Latino, East Asian (Indian/Pakistani) and Asian people. Some very good ethnic restaurants.

Hope this helps. I will say it is certainly worth a look.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:57 PM

Oh my, I'm falling in love.

Bellingham is definitely back on my list. Your reply was incredibly helpful!

Thank you so much.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 PM

439 posts, read 423,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesFog View Post
Thank you.

I was reading negative stuff about lack of housing for construction workers and other stuff.
Complete and utter nonsense. We are a (mostly) union state and our trades workers are top notch and paid appropriately. Most own not rent anyway, and Bellinghman does not have enough work for most of the hands to consider living there when living in Seattle/Tacoma/Oly provides a closer drive or commute to work.

You sound young and naive, you would love Bellingham.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
Complete and utter nonsense. We are a (mostly) union state and our trades workers are top notch and paid appropriately. Most own not rent anyway, and Bellinghman does not have enough work for most of the hands to consider living there when living in Seattle/Tacoma/Oly provides a closer drive or commute to work.

You sound young and naive, you would love Bellingham.

Thanks for your feed back.

I am young at heart and something of a romantic but that doesn't make me naive. If I can find kindred spirits in Bellingham, so much the better. But, it's a good place to start, no?

Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Agree with everything PartIrish says - Bellingham has been trashed a lot lately in these forums because it always used to be quite affordable and people who knew it "back then" cannot get used to the idea that housing prices are increasing like everywhere else. Bellingham made the "best place to retire" magazines about a decade ago, and boy did the retirees come. That increased the housing prices, made more traffic, and changed things dramatically. It's not the sleepy place those people knew and loved.

But physically it still is a very beautiful place, and I think the people in the northwest in general are the nicest, most laid-back, most accommodating people you could ever hope to deal with. That for me makes it a desirable place and puts it right up there on my "stay here forever" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington