U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:28 PM

7,624 posts, read 5,319,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Always has been a pretty depressed area for last 50 yrs at least.

As CoL increases in WA and jobs and services are more centralized... economy gets bleak in undesirable rural places, yet desirable places blossom and get WAY overpriced in housing. (including and especially small towns with limited inventory of homes)

I do have a couple friends living in OS and they feel it is just fine (for them). Good thing, as 'selling the home' and moving is not an option.
I would agree with this. My parents looked at OS property back in the 60's as then there were great plans to make it a major resort area. Obviously, never happened. And glad Mom and Dad DIDN'T buy. It is also quite isolated when you get right down to it. On maps it looks close to Aberdeen/Hoquiam (for whatever benefit that would present), but in truth you take a mostly 2-lane highway to get there for 23 miles, taking well over a half hour.

I personally would not buy on the Pacific Northwest ocean coast due to the tsunami threat, which has been noted on many other threads, so I won't go into detail on that. But some choose the risk, and that is of course their decision.

Finally, the weather can be downright awful at OS. Some like the winter storms, and occasional there is an off-shore flow which can warm the coast up temporarily. But usually expect 10-15 degrees cooler than Seattle in the summer, and somewhat warmer, (marginally) in the winter. Snowfall is rare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 04:09 AM

8 posts, read 5,337 times
All of Grays Harbor to the West of the Humptulips River was declared to be an "qualified opportunity zone" (QoZ). This includes all the North beaches -- even the million-dollar houses in Seabrook! People from Seattle with more money than they know what to do with are using the entire region as a tax shelter.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportu...sked-questions

The region's homebuilders (and house salesmen) have just caught on to this. Nothing's being built anywhere else in the county. They've all refocused to the cheapest, flattest land in the opportunity zone with the least permitting restrictions (due to having its own Urban Growth Boundary) that is most suitable for second homes (i.e. on the beach) -- that would be Ocean Shores.

The whole opportunity zone scheme is really sick and twisted. It purports to help struggling communities by inflating a real estate bubble underneath them. Not the kind of "help" I would ask for....

If you want beaches look at Westport/Grayland, they aren't in the QoZ.

Last edited by intergalactic_skunk; 09-25-2019 at 04:18 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 04:13 AM

8 posts, read 5,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Coast Cable's Internet has a bad reputation - high prices, low speed, and tight data caps.
Absolutely.

Quote:
They have the franchise for cable TV at OS, so the competition is basically locked out.
This is finally changing, however. The Public Utility District now has a colocation center in Ocean Shores and leases fiber from that colo center back to Aberdeen at rock-bottom prices:

https://ghpud.org/telecom-service-map

This is a pretty recent development, though. At the moment nobody is running last-mile fiber at residential-retail prices, but if you're a business (or willing to spend business-level amounts for business-quality connectivity) you can in fact get gigabit fiber in ocean shores.

Quote:
Westport and Grayland are real towns, have Comcast for cable and Internet, and are much better choices if interested in living at the beach:
Indeed. Westport has a fiber colocation center as well. The big difference there is that in Westport/Grayland you can pay Comcast to run the last-mile fiber ($7,000 spread out in monthly payments over two years) and they'll take residential customers.

The cranberry bog Chemigation makes me nervous though.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:22 AM

21 posts, read 10,619 times
Wow. Thank you all for your input. I am aware of the toxic algae (we have it here in Florida as well, though not in my immediate area—Ft. Lauderdale on the east coast) and read the reports about OS. I am recognizing that my little house may not be the investment I was hoping it would be even though I am still infatuated with it. Kind of like being infatuated with the good looking good-for-nothing boy in high school. I did that too, to my detriment of future prospects socially and financially. Lol.

The glut of high-end homes for sale on the peninsula obviously has a number of factors weighing in. Corruption (Coast Cable monopoly/chamber embezzlement scandal), environmental hazard (tsunami/toxic algae), lack of services (medical/healthy food availability) and nasty winter weather.

I am very liberal politically and I read that Grays County leaned or fell over toward the right wing this past election period and that bothers me too. The economic depression of the area is blamed on Washington’s environmental stewardship. I disagree, and that’s all I have to say about that.

Thank you all for your insights. I do appreciate it. Because I am still infatuated with the idea of the house and the proximity to my girls, I am thinking about visiting OS in March (when the weather may be at its worst) to ‘test it out’ politically, environmentally and economically. Plus take a look at the house itself. There is a reason it hasn’t sold. I need to know that reason and convince myself its a bad investment.

Last edited by Katwynne; 09-27-2019 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Corrected grammar

Old 09-27-2019, 11:51 AM

7,458 posts, read 6,149,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwynne View Post
Wow. Thank you all for your input. I am aware of the toxic algae (we have it here in Florida as well, though not in my immediate area—Ft. Lauderdale on the east coast) and read the reports about OS. I am recognizing that my little house may not be the investment I was hoping it would be even though I am still infatuated with it. Kind of like being infatuated with the good looking good-for-nothing boy in high school. I did that too, to my detriment of future prospects socially and financially. Lol.

The glut of high-end homes for sale on the peninsula obviously has a number of factors weighing in. Corruption (Coast Cable monopoly/chamber embezzlement scandal), environmental hazard (tsunami/toxic algae), lack of services (medical/healthy food availability) and nasty winter weather.

I am very liberal politically and I read that Grays County leaned or fell over toward the right wing this past election period and that bothers me too. The economic depression of the area is blamed on Washington’s environmental stewardship. I disagree, and that’s all I have to say about that.

Thank you all for your insights. I do appreciate it. Because I am still infatuated with the idea of the house and the proximity to my girls, I am thinking about visiting OS in March (when the weather may be at its worst) to ‘test it out’ politically, environmentally and economically. Plus take a look at the house itself. There is a reason it hasn’t sold. I need to know that reason and convince myself its a bad investment.
Toxic algae can be caused by fertilizer runoff and/or effluent leaks/releases, combined with warmer than normal weather. It is hard to control the actions of individual owners, who want bright green lawns through the height of summer. Ocean Shores also has a non-traditional sewer system that might be adding to the problem - having to significantly update or replace it could result in a large assessment.

There is no high ground in Ocean Shores, with only one road out. There has been talk of building towers, structures or berms where people could seek refuge from a tsunami, but so far no action. No one wants their view blocked, for one thing. Federal funds may be available, but they usually require local matching funds.

There are a couple of medical clinics in Ocean Shores, as well as Providence Cancer and Cardiology Clinics in Aberdeen.

I'd say that Grays Harbor is more populist than conservative. It went for Trump, but has generally voted Democratic in presidential elections. It has also been generally supportive of unions. Historically it was a stronghold for the IWW, or "Wobblies". The local moniker of the Aberdeen baseball team was the Black Cats, which was a symbol of the Wobblies.

Yes, visit OS when the weather is worse. Also check out Moclips, Westport/Grayland, Montesano, and even parts of Aberdeen/Hoquiam (on "the Hill" above the flood plain). Further inland, look at Elma, Satsop, McCleary, and Shelton.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:12 PM

Thanks C.D. I appreciate your insight. I love the house prices in Hoquiam/Aberdeen, but am concerned about the crime rate and the economy there. I was hoping OS was outside the influence, but I have also read that Aberdeen Business Asso controls OS as well, so that control is strong. I will check out a few of the locations you suggest, but my price point is low because I want to buy now, rent out for a couple years, then sell here and cash out there. I want no house payment, low COL and low taxes. That’s getting hard to find in Washington, unfortunately. Long term plan. I need a strong community to do that in, and want to assure that my property value increases during the absentee owner years. I’ll keep looking. The right place will pop up if it’s ‘meant to be.’ I do appreciate your comments on the area.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:19 PM

For Aberdeen look up on "the Hill", to the north, near Sam Benn Memorial Park where many of the nicer homes are. That is well above the "flats" (where much of the homeless issues are). Invest in a quality security system. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...55049715_zpid/
(says Hoquiam, but is Aberdeen)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...55050670_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/956-Ash-St-Aberdeen-WA-98520/55050748_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...55050231_zpid/

With uncertainty over the real estate market and whether a recession is around the corner, it might be wise to wait to buy until a downturn happens. (That could also be partly why so many in Ocean Shores are trying to cash out, and few are buying.)

I grew up in Aberdeen (1953-1961) and have fond memories of that time. It has fallen on hard times since, although even back then it had its rough edges. You're within easy reach of abundant nature: the North Beach (Ocean Shores, Copalis Beach, Pacific Beach, Moclips) and South Beach (Westport, Grayland, Tokeland), Long Beach, and Olympic National Park, and Mount Rainier National Park. About 60 miles to Olympia, 105 miles to Seattle, and 150 miles to Portland.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 PM

7,624 posts, read 5,319,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwynne View Post
Thanks C.D. I appreciate your insight. I love the house prices in Hoquiam/Aberdeen, but am concerned about the crime rate and the economy there. I was hoping OS was outside the influence, but I have also read that Aberdeen Business Asso controls OS as well, so that control is strong. I will check out a few of the locations you suggest, but my price point is low because I want to buy now, rent out for a couple years, then sell here and cash out there. I want no house payment, low COL and low taxes. That’s getting hard to find in Washington, unfortunately. Long term plan. I need a strong community to do that in, and want to assure that my property value increases during the absentee owner years. I’ll keep looking. The right place will pop up if it’s ‘meant to be.’ I do appreciate your comments on the area.
Ocean Shores as an investment property is probably not a good idea. I will leave it there. While most of the State has increasing property values, I don't think OS does, unfortunately.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:10 AM

PNW & CD, you have both been very helpful. I am also anticipating an economic downturn unless the 2020 election can ‘save’ us in the nick of time. The economy may crash short term, however, due to the current negative political climate, that Grays County helped bring about, incidentally. Bitter? Cynical? Yes, but hopeful for a brighter future for our environment and societal wellbeing. In my opinion, a strong Wall Street is not an indication of a healthy society. It means the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. Sad but true.

That said, it probably is wise to ‘keep my cash’ and wait for some stabilizing. It is surprising to me, however, that a beach front town is floundering. It must be one of the only coastal towns in America that is. As you mention, Copalis Beach, just north, is flourishing (and the real estate prices reflect that) and Westport, just south, is as well. The ‘values’ of the homes for sale in OS reflect affluence, but the volume of sales suggests floundering. Another interesting observation I make is that not much, if any, of the OS real estate is in foreclosure or up for auction as is the case in many other ‘for sale-glutted’ communities. Too bad the most affordable and cutest house I can afford is in OS. I am gradually ‘letting it go,’ but still ruminating.

Meanwhile I wake up here in FL to the sun streaming in every window with a pastoral view of cirtters and a lake out my bedroom window and think, ‘how can I think about leaving this?’ It’s the kids. I want to be near my kids in my old age, which is approaching, albeit gradually. I ‘came of age’ in the PNW. I migrated to the WA when I was 19 in 1974 as a hippie and stayed for 28 years, so I feel like a native and have missed ‘my’ trees and rivers and mountains ever since I left under stressed circumstances in 2003. I never lived at the coast out there, and it would be a more or less ‘completion’ to my wandering life to do so at the end of my years of wandering. I am not sure after living with the sun and sea of Florida that I will be content with the gray skies and gray seas of the Pacific. I have some self-reckoning to do. One daughter lives in Port Townsend and the other in Lake Oswego so I would be exactly in between.

Thanks again for all your conversation, advice and input.

Kat~. : )

Old 09-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Look at Shelton. Houses within or close to your price range. 1 hr 45 min up 101 to get to Port Townsend. Easy access to I-5 and 2 hr 15 min to Lake Oswego. Shelton, close to Olympia, has improved significantly and has good possibility of price appreciation. Easy access to ONP. You'll still be close to the ocean (but won't be stuck there). For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...60936850_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington