Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 12:52 PM

21 posts, read 22,723 times

Advertisements

CD: I can’t express adequately how much I appreciate you ‘looking’ for me. Unfortunately, my price range, to be affordable ‘today’ is literally about 140k less than that. What I am looking for is low maintenance (I will likely be a single woman in her late 60’s with low income when I see myself clear to relocate), but still a single family home that is not a mobile or manufactured home. Additionally, I need enough land to feel not hemmed in and with good gardening capabilities.

If I had $200k to spend, there is a great place with high potential in Copalis Beach that my daughter found for me. I will look at other places in Shelton in the meantime. Thank you for your suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 03:04 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,310,160 times
I just get curious (and have an emotional connection to the area). Sorry, but $120k (or thereabouts) for a real house, that is not a dump, is simply not realistic anywhere in Western Washington. This is about as cheap as they come:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...55077003_zpid/

Old 09-28-2019, 04:47 PM

I realize how unrealistic my price range is. What I found, and got stuck on, is a little A Frame in OS. 890 Hassalo Ave OS. It has an all metal roof that is likely to last another 30 or 40 years with little maintenance, but my stumbling block is that I can’t find a realtor to be ‘real’ with me. The one I appealed to was evasive and not at all up front with me when I started asking specific questions about the house and town. The house is currently rented and I was informed that the owners, who live in Ohio, make no warranty as to what the house is since the renter took up residence. As far as I can tell, it is trashed. The pictures are unflattering and likely old, but show a lot of potential both for the land and for the little house. I see the downsides as well though—dark because of the lack of what I see as N and S windows, cement slab for a foundation, and probably underground plumbing that would cost a fortune to repair if any of it leaked or corroded. They are asking $137k and it’s been on the market for over two years currently and on and off the market by the same owners since 2008. They are asking too much. I’d offer $100k to start thinking they may jump at it. But, it’s in OS, and I can’t get any straight answers. My girls aren’t excited enough about it to go visit it for me. I probably can’t get there until March at earliest. Lot’s of downs and not many up sides. There is another A-Frame in OS for 130 as well, and it has more amenities, but is on a busy road and has a composition roof. A lot of houses in Aberdeen and Hoquiam are under 100k, and some of them wonderful old houses, but probably in scary parts of town for an old lady on her own, and are on small lots and would need a lot of maintenance for long-term upkeep. I’m not old now, and won’t be for some time to come, but I will eventually be old and anticipate this is the last place I’ll buy and live. Bla bla bla.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:59 PM

Forgot to tell you that I love the place you linked to above. Right up my ally for architectural style and land. $182 is still 50k over my beginning price range though. Additionally, it’s on a busy road. I could offer them $130, but that would be my top price payable (+ a little over) and a counter offer would out-price me I’m afraid. Sad but true. I have $50k to invest at this point and need to keep my mortgage at under 70k to be able to afford payments and make a little profit through renting the place—enough to pay T & I and upkeep, as well as a property manager, and maybe put a few extra bucks in the bank—until I relocate in a couple to a few years. I need to be patient. The right place will surface. Thanks again for your interest. I’ll get there. Just don’t know when.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,780,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwynne View Post
Forgot to tell you that I love the place you linked to above. Right up my ally for architectural style and land. $182 is still 50k over my beginning price range though. Additionally, it’s on a busy road. I could offer them $130, but that would be my top price payable (+ a little over) and a counter offer would out-price me I’m afraid. Sad but true. I have $50k to invest at this point and need to keep my mortgage at under 70k to be able to afford payments and make a little profit through renting the place—enough to pay T & I and upkeep, as well as a property manager, and maybe put a few extra bucks in the bank—until I relocate in a couple to a few years. I need to be patient. The right place will surface. Thanks again for your interest. I’ll get there. Just don’t know when.
Thanks for sharing more details about your situation. Sounds like you want to be closer to family, and that is a strong pull. Florida vs Washington prices is tough. Washington is more expensive to be sure. Probably gonna have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages, the pros and cons, etc. Only you can make that call. But I didn't realize you lived here before. Nostalgia sometimes comes into play. I know it did for me as I moved back to my native State in 2015 and have not regretted it whatsoever.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:11 PM

The problem with renting it is that, if the current renter has trashed the place, it could be hard to find someone willing to sign a 12-month lease, unless offering a rock-bottom rent. You'd be left holding the bag. Just because the roof is okay, doesn't mean there aren't any other problems. There is also the issue of assessments - I read elsewhere that a $5,000 assessment is likely (for the sewage system, I think). The toxic algae could lead to another assessment.

The house in Grayland is set back further than the picture shows. Look at the street view. Route 105 is not a busy road. Still, you'd need to move and live there - hard to rent it year-round.

There are a couple of subsidized senior apartment buildings in Sequim, which would at least get you close to one of your daughters. The senior apartments are 62+. Come out six months early to check them out and get on their lists. See: https://www.aptfinder.org/listings.php?p_county=Clallam

Old 09-28-2019, 09:56 PM

I can probably rent anytime, and am not currently interested in living in an apartment house. Only twice in my live have I lived in a multi-family dwelling, and didn’t like it then, and don’t anticipate I’d like it now. I need my space and I need dirt to dig in. Not to mention trees and the ocean. I’m an outdoors girl and need that facility outside my door.

You are right about the likely assessments in Ocean Shores. I read about that recently as well, concerning the algae, as well as the sewer system needing upgraded. Two more negatives about the property, and another possible reason people are selling out. It does have a long-term renter in the property that I would leave there, until he/she decided to leave. On satellite I see a man sitting in the front of the house and a ‘monster-type’ truck parked inside the cyclone fence. Even satellite is old though, so who knows. I am backing down rapidly. Too many indications that it is not ‘my place.’

The little house in Grayland is very attractive to me, and in a good location too. I just can’t imagine that the scenic coast road is not heavily traveled, especially in summer. I will have to do some real number crunching if I consider it. As you say, I would not have an easy time finding a year round renter, and I would need that if I were to purchase now. I will likely end up waiting to buy until I am ready to relocate. I will have more money to invest then as well.

WA and FL, especially here in S.E. FL on the coast, have very analogous real estate pricing. The CoL here is also quite high. Taxes are absurd. I actually anticipate PNW living, except in high-end areas like PT or Seattle to be less expensive. A shabby house in a low-income area sells for over 200k here. A condo sells for over 200k. This place is way over-inflated. Central FL is more affordable but considerably less desirable, just like central or even E. WA. Advantages and disadvantages in every area.

You guys have been great. Thank you for your insight and conversation.

Kat~. : )

Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 AM

I just realized that I most likely read about the assessments in OS here. You are a wealth of useful information. Thank you. Searching for real estate in an area 3000 miles away is a challenge, but the search continues. I have a few years left here, or more, depending on circumstances, so time will work it all out, as in everything else in life. The three ‘P’s.’ Patience, Positivity, and Perseverance. A little pluckiness thrown in doesn’t hurt.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Keep your eye on Shelton, maybe once the downturn happens - much better area for a rental (attracting retirees and is increasingly a bedroom community for Olympia). My sister used to do that - she liked finding houses with separate accessory units, which allowed for two tenants.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:45 AM

Have you looked at Oregon? Lots of smaller towns not far from the coast. Income tax, but you'll be low income. No sales tax. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...66909412_zpid/

or

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48485565_zpid/ (look past the clutter, 40 minutes to Corvallis/Oregon State U, so rentable, backyard for gardening, street view shows a new paint job)

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-29-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington