Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times

Advertisements

I have seen mountain reports where US 12 is open while I 90 is closed. I think this has to do with much more traffic over 90, and more possibility of problems. I find that ironic, however, since I 90 (Snoqualmie Pass) is about 3,000 feet in elevation while US 12 (White Pass) is roughly 4,500 feet in elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
You might be just as well with studless snow tires. Icy conditions in mountain passes can extend beyond November through March. Studless snow tires also won't damage dry streets, roads, and highways. If chains are required, you have to put them on, even if you have studded tires.

As I remember, studded snow tires are OK November 1st-April 1st. I’ve been told by state patrol that I do NOT need chains with studded tires. I’m female and I’m not going to roll around on the ground with tire chains, I did that when I was younger, no thanks. The roads in this state are already such crap that I’m not too concerned about my tires, I would rather be safe.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:24 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Have chains and Survival gear/food in a back pack with you driving US 12. No speeding in the icy conditions.
I Agree with the others watching for the other driver while driving the pass.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
As I remember, studded snow tires are OK November 1st-April 1st. I’ve been told by state patrol that I do NOT need chains with studded tires. I’m female and I’m not going to roll around on the ground with tire chains, I did that when I was younger, no thanks. The roads in this state are already such crap that I’m not too concerned about my tires, I would rather be safe.
In the olden days, the I-90 road report usually went like this..."traction tires recommended", "traction tires required", or "chains required for those without traction tires. "Traction Tires" was always subject to definition, and that is why they don't use that term anymore. Today, it seems to be less vague. It is either no restrictions or chains required.

Back in the 70's and even the 80's, there really was little enforcement of the "chains required" rule. I remember driving through the pass a few times with no chains when required and had no problem. Today, I think the enforcement is more similar to California, where they mean it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington